DIR FUNdamentals report (LONG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Firstly, I hope none of this comes accoss like I think I'm hot stuff as a diver, I know I have a lot of improvement, and was not the "best" in the class by any means.

Secondly, I'd like to thank Joe Talavera (hope I spelled it right) and Josh (didn't catch his last name) for being great ("Greatest Diver in the World!!!!," inside joke) instructors, I learned soo much... I wish I would have had the money to be able to fix some of my gear issues (air integrated computer needs go by by, need pockets, need better undergarment, etc... etc...)

so with that said here is a little something I quickly wrote up while at work, hope the writting isn't too terrible...

DIR-F is definitely a humbling experience. I can’t imagine any diver not learning something in this class. At the time I showed up to class, I thought I had my harness all dialed in after approx 50 dives on it… I thought I had my trim, and buoyancy down, I thought I had many fin kicks down… Boy was I WRONG!!!!

On day two we started off at the dive site learning about trim, fin kicks, etc… once learning all this we had an opportunity to test it in the water. Even if you think you have good trim, you may find you actually have room to improve… I found that when I tried to hold my trim properly, that I now was less stable feeling than before, due to many different reasons (weighting, etc.) I had not been in proper trim previously. I found that I had issues with my feet wanting to sink, and it was a fight to keep them up when I was stationary. I found it also much more difficult to remain stationary probably due to the fact of trying to keep my feet up, I was most likely moving my feet.

My reverse kick was probably one of the better ones in the class, I actually did move in reverse, however even it had room for improvement… primarily, I wasn’t pointing my feet downwards.

My harness got a tad tighter, my D-rings got moved a bit, I learned a MUCH easier way of getting in my harness, and clipping off to my D-Rings. I found that I did not have proper technique for the frog kick, I did have the right idea for the modified frog, and helicopter turns, however I used too big a movement. I totally sucked on center of gravity drills (which is tipping your self up and or down without moving in the water column)

In between dives we talked about the next dive which would entail the basic 5 (Reg removal replace, reg exchange, modified s-drill, mask flood and clear, and mask removal and replacement), S-Drills, and Valve drills. Most of this I did know, I learned a few small things about the S-Drill, just in how to manage the team during the drill, and small things about remembering to clip things off (clean up), and signaling. I didn’t do too badly on most the skills, during the mask flood and clear, I floated up probably a good 5 feet, during the mask removal replacement, I had trouble, I was back in open water where I had trouble with mask skills, I couldn’t breathe, or anything… I choked out some air a couple times and finally finished the skill, gasping for air, and sucking air quite madly for a few mins. S-drills went’ every which way, we did a few decently good, forgetting a few things, then we did several where one of us went to the bottom, and the other to the surface, it was a mess. Valve drills went pretty good, I had a little trouble in reaching the valve, I may move my tank up a little bit from now on, also hopefully will help with the fin down feeling.

At the end of dive 2, we went to the surface and free-flowed our regs to get our tanks down to 400psi, we then dropped down one by one with the instructors to 10 feet and let them look at our wings… mine was ½ full according to the second instructor (Josh) Which I sort of couldn’t believe, yet did… I had a feeling that 37.5lbs total (including wing, canister light, etc) was a bit much for a 6’ tall 170-175lbs guy like me… however at the end of dives with 500psi in the tank, I could remain neutral in 10 feet with what I thought was an empty wing… boy was I WRONG again!!!!

We decided to ditch the 4lbs weight I had on my cam bands for the next day.

It was decided that on day 3 we would repeat dive 2, and then go on to do lift bags, etc.

On Sunday (day 3) we started off doing pre-dive briefings, equipment checks, etc… I was the “team” leader for this dive, and it was pretty good experience… I’m currently a DM in training (though I’m not sure I’ll finish the training) and have yet to have as good a leadership experience as this. I was basically forced to be responsible for the team, to be responsible for the briefing, the equipment checks, and LEADING the team through the skills.

We headed out and went and did our skills… most skills we did better on, the major screw up was we did our valve drill before doing an S-Drill (WHOOPS) since I was the team leader it was my screw up, however the team seamed to recall doing valve drills before S-Drills, and we all agreed upon the order before descending… (Oh well, we have to learn on every dive right?) My mask removal replacement was terrible again, same problem as last time, this time instead of keeping buoyancy I lost it and hit the bottom (better than the surface I suppose? When only dropping 2-5feet) otherwise all went ok… I had my buoyancy get away from me a few times, I’m not used to having any air in my feet and I think that was part of the issue, I would let my buoyancy get a little away from me, and then not be able to compensate, especially with air in the feet, I need to work on keeping on top of buoyancy all the time, and very often. Especially important is using the dump valve not the inflator. My feet still felt a little heavy, but not quite as bad as yesterday.

Next we learned how to deploy lift bags.

We then went on to dive 3 where we did OOA ascents, 1min ascent/descent drills (those were fun I think, basically worked like we were doing deco), and shot a bag.

Some of the biggest things I learned throughout the class were about gas, and gas management… Rock bottom was a great concept to know about, it’s cool to know that I basically had been doing it (with my tank, 1000psi is rock bottom for 60-100feet) we always turned dives at 1000psi, and headed up to 20-30feet and then swam in (at that depth my rock bottom goes to like 600-700psi, I forget, have to look at the chart again)

I found it interesting about CO2 especially in it being more narcotic than nitrogen (WOW) and how easily it can become a problem, especially in the 100’ and deeper depth. It was interesting learning about why there are the standard mixes, and why GUE says to use 30% HE bellow 100feet. After looking through my nitrox manual to re-read the section, I see I learned more about pulmonary oxygen toxicity than I did in my nitrox class, the short discussion was much more informative about it than the paragraph basically saying it only happens after hours of exposure to high O2 and wouldn’t be an issue inside recreational limits (gee thanks for the info PADI, NOT). It was also interesting hearing why you shouldn’t take a convulsing diver to the surface like is taught elsewhere, and hearing about the technique to keep them from drowning (though it’s not taught till tech 1)

The “team” concept was great, and one of the best parts of the class in my opinion. I’ve thought my dive buddies and I were a pretty good team, but seeing how well we could work as a team even while still learning, in such a short amount of time, makes me think about how I can improve in a team with my regular (non-DIR) buddies.

There is very little in this class that I think anyone could go through it and say, this was not valuable information. I think everyone “passed” though we were all in agreement that passing was not important, and not why we attended the course. I personally did sort of deep down want a GUE card, and to pass to be able to move on to Tech 1, however I went in fully expecting to fail, and ready to do so, as I went in with the attitude of WHAT can I learn, and what will I learn.

I would highly recommend the class to any diver, even if you don’t want to DIR, or agree with DIR, I think anyone can learn a TON from the class, and learn why and how DIR works, and may even decide they need to go more that way… I think ANY and every double tank diver should go through the class, regardless of whether they do “tech” diving or not, there is some invaluable information to be handed down by the instructors… one of our guys was doing doubles, he had only dove them 3 times before, the most recent being a year ago… by the end of the 1st day he was ready to give up on doubles and do the rest of the class in a single. He showed up the next day still with the doubles, and ready to try again, by the end of the 1st dive, he was off with a non-instructor but GUE certified diver to work on the trim, weighting, etc. of his doubles. By the end he had the tools, knowledge, and ideas of what to do with his doubles to improve comfort, control, and trim. It was evident in listening to his problems, that not having a weight belt is not always a good thing… for some doubles divers a weight belt may actually be needed to aide in trim, and what not.

Everyone agreed the video was an invaluable resource to have, we could see better what the instructors were saying about our diving, they could review our diving better, and we knew what to do to improve.

Over the course of 2 days of diving, there was a significant and noticeable improvement in everyone’s diving… I can’t think of a time where I’ve seen myself or other divers improve as much as we all did overnight, without diving, but by simply looking at ourselves on video, and discussing it with knowledgeable instructors.

Nice report, Will! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi when David and I were there diving on Saturday. Seeing you guys getting out and sitting on the walkway talking about the dive sure brought back fond memories of my class with Sonya and RJ last year. :)

For what it's worth, I'm with you on the mask removal thing. I've never done it well at all, though I always go up when I yank it off... that cold water hitting my face makes me inhale and hold my breath by instinct. Someday, I may get it... :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%... this class helped me come a long way in my diving in a very short amount of time. I think it's a great thing for those divers who are really interested in perfecting their diving skills, even if they have no intentions of becoming 'tec divers'.

Jimmie

Will's experience sounds completely different from my experience of the DIR-F course I attended recently.

Dive safe

kalvyn:
Nice report, Will! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi when David and I were there diving on Saturday. Seeing you guys getting out and sitting on the walkway talking about the dive sure brought back fond memories of my class with Sonya and RJ last year. :)

Jimmie

Yeah, I'm sure we "saw" each other in passing, or what not... doesn't help when we don't know what each other looks like or anything.

You may have seen me and remember me by this though... I had a blue and black USIA drysuit on, a BIG Dive Rite MLS 1 canister, I think the only Alluminum tank diver in the group, bright blue (pretty) :) tanks, and they even had my name on them :)

Jonathan, how was your experience different? Do you have a review somewhere I missed, or care to explain a little?

WillAbbott:
Secondly, I'd like to thank Joe Talavera (hope I spelled it right) and Josh (didn't catch his last name) for being great ("Greatest Diver in the World!!!!," inside joke) instructors...

Josh Witherell, most likely. Haven't dove with him for a while but I know he teaches over at 5th D these days. Nice guy ...

My reverse kick was probably one of the better ones in the class, I actually did move in reverse, however even it had room for improvement… primarily, I wasn’t pointing my feet downwards.

I struggled with the reverse kick for a long time ... till Uncle Pug said the same thing to me about pointing my feet downwards ... then it suddenly all started working (ain't that a cool feeling).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Josh Witherell, most likely. Haven't dove with him for a while but I know he teaches over at 5th D these days. Nice guy ...

I struggled with the reverse kick for a long time ... till Uncle Pug said the same thing to me about pointing my feet downwards ... then it suddenly all started working (ain't that a cool feeling).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Could be, maybe Joe will pipe in to who it was.

One other thing I didn't mention was the GUE C-Cards Expire, VERY cool (yet a minor pain) I don't really look forward to showing proof of diving every 3 years, yet at the same time, that is not all that often to have to renew, and it is a very easy process, not to mention small requirement.

Whenever I progress upto Recreational Tri-Ox and/or Tech 1 it will be much more work, I will have to force myself to go out and do 25 dives in a 3 year period at my certification level, a good thing none the less, but still, I wasn't planning on diving Tri-Ox/Tri-Mix very offten due to the high cost of the gas, the low availablity localy, and basically my only source that I'm aware of being to PP mix the HE myself, with Nitrox tops, or give it to a friend in portland and only go diving with him (still would be a major pain in the rear, being an hour away from him)

I guess it's just more to consider that when I want to move into Helium based mixes I'm going to have to supply my own HE and find a shop willing to give me Nitrox/Air Tops.

Hi guys,

Yes it was Josh Witherell (tech diver #1) who was assisting, fresh out of his GUE DIR-F ITC.

Thanks again, Will for your hard work, both in the class and with the write up as well.

Regards,

Joe Talavera

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom