DIR/GUE Attitude: I just don't see it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you're looking to nit pick, but given his context it's possible that the principles/foundations in DIR diving are shared with other ideologies.

My posts have thus far been been measured and respectful. I'd like to comment more, but then they would no longer be so carefully considered.

I can't help it that GI3 didn't invent the BP&W, horizontal trim and good buoyancy. I can however comment that he learned this from other (and at the time) more established communities. To portray these as DIR's contribution to diving is to do a disservice to those pioneers.

[Edit: personal comments removed to be more friendly.]

---------- Post Merged at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:31 PM ----------

You can fix that problem if you like, or you can just perpetuate the issue by complaining about it on the internet. Nobody here can fix that for you.

I expected such comments from ucfdiver, but not from you, lamont. I clearly indicated in my posts that, in my opinion, anti-GUE sentiment can be engendered from online interaction with some DIR divers, but that my personal (real-life) interaction with GUE divers has been 100% positive. To portray this as my problem is (if you are concerned with the good name of GUE/DIR) tantamount to burying your head in the sand.

^

After awhile it does start to appear that way.
The recent and ongoing complaints about GUE have overshadowed any old, negative posts.

It's an internet thing only.
It began on the internet.....instead of it dying on the internet......it keeps being brought forward and perpetuated, made new again.

People really seem to want to keep it going.:confused: :idk:

Having just had the good fortune to meet the man and spend time talking to him, I'm quite sure Jarrod Jablonski wouldn't claim that anything GUE promulgates was invented by them. Good buoyancy, careful trim, strong situational awareness, clear communication, and even a commitment to diving as a buddy team are not unique to or developed by GUE. Standardized equipment and procedures are a long tradition in the military. What is different about GUE diving is putting everything together in a system . . . and then FOLLOWING the system.

Those of us who have adopted this approach to diving did so because we found it comfortable, and/or saw value in it. It is not the only way to dive, and a couple of the best divers I've been in the water with are not remotely DIR. It IS, overall, a very useful system, well proven in both simple recreational dives and extreme exploration activities. It's a world of avid and enthusiastic divers (nobody works hard enough to meet GUE standards otherwise) who, at least in my experience, are very welcoming to anybody who loves diving and wants to get better at it.

The snarkiness is electronic, almost entirely.

I expected such comments from ucfdiver, but not from you, lamont. I clearly indicated in my posts that, in my opinion, anti-GUE sentiment can be engendered from online interaction with some DIR divers, but that my personal (real-life) interaction with GUE divers has been 100% positive. To portray this as my problem is (if you are concerned with the good name of GUE/DIR) tantamount to burying your head in the sand.

No, really, if you think GUE is all about the gear, that is entirely your problem. It simply isn't all about the gear. And there's no way that I can download to you almost the past decade of my experience in order to show you that it isn't. The focus on gear /is/ entirely navel gazing, and is largely an internet discussion between people who are new to the gear and people who are outside of the system yelling at each other. I've watched that go on now for nearly a decade and I can't fix it. If you want your personal experience to change, then you're simply going to have to get off of the internet and start talking to people with more experience. Talk to instructors, and talk to people that have been around for a decade or more.

Like I just posted in the Dan's other thread, the most important things to me in diving with a non-GUE trained buddy is simply that they practice gas management and stick together and that there's no solo diving or solo ascents. None of that requires specialized gear. And I've been diving with GUE trained 'buddies' who actually have managed to be trained GUE divers who are dressed correctly but who have not stuck together with me on dives and that annoys me to no extent, no matter how perfectly compliant their gear is.

If you can't get yourself past the "gear" argument and the "exclusive" argument then I can't help you, only you can change your own mind, and you simply quoted the two issues that mean that you aren't really interested in GUE, you're more interested in an argument. That makes it largely a waste of time to argue with you. Your mind appears to be made up.

I do not believe, nor did I write that it is all about the gear. I noted that in my perception some were too hung up on gear. I encourage you to re-read my offending post. I was not reducing GUE to two items. I wrote that in my opinion some GUE divers are too hung up on these items.

The snarkiness is electronic, almost entirely.

I believe you.

My posts have thus far been been measured and respectful. I'd like to comment more, but then they would no longer be so carefully considered.

I can't help it that GI3 didn't invent the BP&W, horizontal trim and good buoyancy. I can however comment that he learned this from other (and at the time) more established communities. To portray these as DIR's contribution to diving is to do a disservice to those pioneers.
No one on here has implied that JJ and GI3 came up with the BP&W, horizontal trim and good buoyancy. What they did when they brought DIR to the masses was develop a standaridized system of breathing gases, communication techniques, gear, mindsets, etc. and (with others help) brought those around the world. I've dove with someone from Portugal where our first dive together was a cave dive and I couldn't tell much difference between him and my regular dive buddy. I've dove with people from the NE, California, Washington state, Sweeden, Florida, Texas, etc and had a seamless integration. I've had gear break on me where I didn't have a spare, but since we were diving similar gear, my buddy had an extra and we got to go diving.

THAT is the beauty of DIR. No one has said the fundamental skills which are building blocks of the system are unique to DIR. Even JJ and GI3 have both published articles stating this.

I do not believe, nor did I write that it is all about the gear. I noted that in my perception some were too hung up on gear. I encourage you to re-read my offending post. I was not reducing GUE to two items. I wrote that in my opinion some GUE divers are too hung up on these items.

I think gear is something that all divers are nuts about.....How many times have you read a post from some new diver, that just bought 3 grand worth of new stuff, they want to know what everyone thinks, and then they argue for 100 more posts about why the stuff they just bought is the best. They want the "congratulations...the "you got the best stuff".... YOU made the smart call" kind of feedback.....a lot like a dog walking into the room demanding to be petted.
There is a lot of this in diving, and GUE and DIR is not immune. We have some good reasons for our ideas, but everyone still likes to feel like after all the research they did, they made the "smart" decision in the buy.

On the defensive side for this, we "test" our gear with all the DIR and GUE drilling and types of diving, much more than a typical recreational diver could ever imagine. With all this testing, many of us have actually seen some big differences in various gear performances. I think much of the gear-centric posting can really be borne out, because of this, but what you are picking up on, is the "Joy" of this gear discussion, and maybe that is what you find so irksome :)

---------- Post Merged at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:58 AM ----------

I can't help it that GI3 didn't invent the BP&W, horizontal trim and good buoyancy.
---------- Post Merged at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:31 PM ----------

It might be worthy to recall that George and JJ were really pissed about how bad all the options were back in the mid-90's, by ALL of the gear manufacturers, for bp/wing sytems. They contacted each of the big ones, individually, and even scubapro had zero interest in making what they thought would be only 100 or 200 specialty pieces that did not fit in to "their" vision of dive gear and the future..... Of all in the manufacturing dive world, only one guy stepped forward to fix this..Just one. there is no arguing this. That person was Robert Carmichael. Robert took all the specs that George and JJ were asking for, and used his R& D manufacturing facility at his Brownie Third Lung factory, to create some prototypes.....these prototypes were loved....and much better than taking a stop sign off the road, and cutting it up then putting webbing in it, and all the other nonsense that used to go on for some to create their own bp/wing systems :)
The Prototypes kept getting improved by Robert, as he made more and more for WKPP team members, and a huge demand for more was created. Carmichael decided to actually produce these in quantity, and he called the new system Halcyon.....
Just saying, dont forget true innovation where it occurred....For all Robert did for WKPP and Diving, with the innovation of Halcyon ( and all the copying by other mfg's today--creating even more access to this gear advantage in diving) , he gets next to no mentions EVER, and next to no thanks by anyone. Why is that ?

---------- Post Merged at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:58 AM ----------

As what I think is an interesting tangent.....The year Halcyon actually "came out", the year Halcyon got it's "debut" at DEMA in New Orleans....there had been HUGE buzz on the internet about the brand new, not like anything else, Halcyon line. This was at a time when Scubpro and Mares and Cressi and the other big mfg's, were not just big, they were GIANTS. Each of the big guys had spaces at DEMA the size of small towns ( only slight exageration :) and had several dozens of employees working the floors, fancy models wearing the gear, and on and on. Each expected a flood of divers/shops through their display areas from the moment the Show began.
Robert made the show on a wing and a prayer, and a tiny budget. It was a single or double booth ( don't recall which, but tiny compared to the big guys), and there were about 5 of us to work the booth--I was one of them. Each of us wore Halcyon Black shirts, and we did have a cool and black and imposing look to our Halcyon booth.
As the show prepared to open, close to a thousand people lined up at the get go, to see the new Halcyon booth. the line coming in to us went forever, and the Scubapro and Mares guys became apoplectic, over all of these people going to us, and ignoring their huge show of the critical new colors in a BC, or the "absolutely MUST HAVE new huge pockets, etc.
At the Halcyon booth, we thought we had plenty of sales literature, but after 2 hours of the "onslaught", we were sending our artist Preston to the copy machines, and having him furiously xeroxing the brochures. Bedlam continues the entire day, and each successive day. The other manufacturers realize they have made an enormous mistake, but the bell has rung, and Halcyon has a huge head start on what everyone now knew was a "new" evolution in the kind of dive gear that would need to be made and marketed. Suddenly gear was about FUNCTION, and not about colors. "Halcyon Black" was as big a statement about the stupidity in the big mfg's, and all their "MUST HAVE THE NEW COLOR BC CR*P" as you could possibly imagine. Overnight, the consumers had changed, and the big manufacturers were SHOCKED!

Over the last decade, rampant copying, and perfection of modifications to copying, has put some great gear out there, under many different manufacturers names. Today, there really are some great choices, and Halcyon is NOT the only game in town. They still cost more then most, they still last forever ( the 18 pound wing robert Gave me back in the first year they began making them, is still in great shape, and I still use it today)....and they still are known for FUNCTION and not for fancy colors or frills or monster pockets.

** Just so you know, I did work as Marketing Dir for Halcyon the first few years from inception, but not for the last decade. In other words, I do not work for them now, but I am proud of what Robert did.

Of all in the manufacturing dive world, only one guy stepped forward to fix this..Just one. there is no arguing this. That person was Robert Carmichael. Robert took all the specs that George and JJ were asking for, and used his R& D manufacturing facility at his Brownie Third Lung factory, to create some prototypes

Thanks for reminding us Dan. I'd heard the story before and apparently quickly forgot. Robert Carmichael - I'll remember that now.

... and you're right. We're all "gear enthusiasts." That's not the term we usually use in DNY, but it's more PC :D. We love our gear and are perpetually searching for the perfect piece of kit - sometimes forgetting that "perfect" is almost always colored by personal preference :wink:

Where mix and match are not appropriate, is deep in cave, or on 300 foot deep wreck dives in ocean. For this, yes, try to be full GUE on this.

... and that, my friend, is the kind of statement that gets GUE divers their reputation ... and although I'm in the DIR forum and fully support the system, I'll disagree with it.

There are many ... MANY ... the majority, in fact ... people doing deep dives and cave dives who are not "full GUE" ... and who, believe it or not, are perfectly safe divers.

"Full GUE" is but one way to safely do those dives. It's a good way. It's not the "only" way. What matters isn't club membership ... it's understanding the risks involved, asking the right questions, making the right preparations, and having the right expectations of your dive buddy.

I've been in a cave ... recently ... with "full GUE" divers, and yet I'm not "full GUE". I believe we were perfectly safe.

I've been below 200 feet with divers who have never taken a GUE class ... and I believe we were as safe as a "full GUE" team would have been under the same conditions.

"Full GUE" is a good system because of its standardization and it's well thought-out solutions to risk mitigation ... it is NOT, however, the only way to do those dives. In many circumstances, it isn't even the best way.

Try to open your mind a bit, Dan ... comments like that don't help dissipate the stereotype ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Since this thread went in all directions. I'll offer why I went toward DIR. All of this is my own opinion.

Equipment:
I am a relatively new divers and decided I better try different configurations before I committed to buying something the local shops were pushing. After trying all types of bulky gear, I thought I liked the jacket BC. After trying the backplate and wing, in my GUE primer, I was sold instantly. You mean this is the same price as your bulky BC jacket, allows for many possibilities and configurations from sidemount to doubles, and it's about the same price (sure you need different wings, but again just a different wing not a different BC)?

The local shop was in shock when I said I hated the Air2 and found it inferior. So when I started looking for regulators, I was honestly unsure about the 7 foot hose. I ended up going with it after much thought. I have never been in an out of air situation and most people I know have never encountered one in real life (I am new though), so i take their word for it that it's better in a real event. I have had the odd comment of "man, that's a long hose," almost jokingly, but most want to really learn about it.

I still use cressi fins, but when they get old, I will get something better. They are just too lite.

Attitude and Experience:
I went on several dive trips and I noticed all the advanced divers were everywhere, an every person for themselves attitude. On that same trip, we had a boat go dangerously overhead and I realized, even a 25ft dive must be treated as an overhead drive. This is why I began training so heavily as a tech diver, I have no desire to go in caves, caverns, or really go deep, but I train that way so my diving is much better. And you know what? Because I have trained for maskless ascents while sharing air, I am so much more comfortable in the water.

Fitness:
I am out of shape and I do admit I am doing that part wrong, but I am working on it.

Training:
You can read my post in the SSI forum about my opinion on diving agencies. I held this opinion long before learning about tech diving and their message. But in the end, it is all about the instructor. After my experiences, I now have to watch them teach a class and interview them. If I am iffy, I will go on a dive with them. Luckily I found a good former GUE trainer to work with over the next few years.

The one thing I have noticed about myself, is I am finding it harder to take seriously any training agencies that don't promote the basics of the "DIR" principles. For example horizontal trim and buoyancy. I just watched the NAUI master diver intro and there is a woman wailing her arms and totally vertical in about 15 feet of water and over a reef. I had to laugh.

I would recommend most of the DIR principles for any rec divers out there unsure of how to proceed in their diving careers.

Jerrod

None of the equipment you describe is unique to DIR ... my NAUI Tech classes required the same configuration, as did my NSS-CDS cave classes.

As a NAUI instructor I can assure you that "wailing arms" are not an acceptable technique. There is much about the NAUI videos I don't particularly care for ... which is why I so rarely use them as teaching aids. But I can assure you that my OW students learn proper trim and are taught not to hand-scull. By the time they get to AOW, they cannot pass the course without demonstrating proper technique in both of those categories. I wouldn't even accept someone into a Master Diver course if they displayed those tendencies ... we'd be doing a skills workshop as prerequisite to even beginning the Master Diver program.

Good skills are NOT unique to DIR ... and have existed in other programs long before DIR was ever invented.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom