Dir regulator config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maccajim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I like the long hose config of dir and was wondering what they recommend for regs, are you supposed to have two identical eg apek 50's. Or can you save money by having one apek 50 and a 40 or 20 as secondary.

thanks for any help

which means two regulators - either manifolded doubles, or if diving a single tank, an "H" valve with two independent first stages.

The backup is bungeed around your neck - this is important to consider when buying regulators because - that's YOUR emergency air source.

I'm not DIR. I don't profess to be. But I dive identical ATX-50's.

In terms of whether they need to be identical, I believe (someone may feel free to correct me) that such distinction is moot. If an ATX 40 or AT20 or whatever is the right tool for the job, go right ahead.

I mean, let's face it, Apeks makes quality regulators. Just don't try to carry around one of those crappy POS low-profile plastic octo's, or even worse - an Air2.

maccajim once bubbled...
are you supposed to have two identical...

Nope. Primary is balanced, backup is not.

Identical primary for stage bottles (p.73 of JJ's book).

maccajim once bubbled...
can you recommend an unbalanced reg

Well, I have a SP R380. Works great. However, some of my friends like the Apeks because they're much easier to disassemble UW.

Don't forget that your secondary may become your primary... So, you want something that you're comfortable with, at any depth.

I use an R380 as secondary as well.

The secondary doesn't have to be unbalanced, just lower performance. The idea is to reduce the chance of freeflow. (This is all IIRC BTW).

So a slightly detuned ATX40 or ATX20 etc will all fit the bill.

If you already have an ATX50 I'd consider getting a ATX40 because the parts are interchangeable. If you don't have either, I'd get 2x ATX40s.

maccajim once bubbled...
Thanks_simonN_I_think_ill_get_a_50_and_40_save_a_bit$$$$

Just noticed that you are in Sydney.

Plunge in fairlight have TX20s going cheap. They'll do the bizzo.

FWIW I'm using 2 atx 50's...I Keep the back-up tuned all the way down, and I've never had a problem with it bubbling or free flowing...even in current.

Back
Top Bottom