DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
I'll say it...I don't...:D

If there is a great way of doing something. If it is safe. logical, well thought out, works in practice, simple, and makes diving more fun...then sign me up for doing it right.

Much of the diving I was doing before was definitely wrong...I'll start with being overweighted and of the belief that a drysuit was for bouyancy, splits were the latest and greatest in fins, more D-rings=better diver, the Seaquest Raider was a decent "tech BC", the lightcannon is a decent HID, trim was something you do to the Christmas tree...hmm...actually...that one does have a familiar ring to it somehow...
Thanks for the response and insight that went with it. For once writing an ambiguous sentence has paid off for me.
But, I meant that people hate what they have let the acronym, "DIR" come to mean for them.
I think even the nastiest contributor to this thread probably isn't against improving his/her knowledge and skills.

Tom

Uncle Pug:
GUE

Multi-tasking: handling multiple failures is part and parcel of the GUE Tech 1 class.

Being able to airshare and make deco stops on the way to your gas switch while one buddy is without a mask, making the gas switch, controlling both diver's buoyancy and shooting a marker bag during the deco for example.
You folks are convincing me.
Say didn't I see that you're in Everett?
When I make it back to the states I'll have to visit you at your much envied "green boat." Or am I mixing you up with another?

Tom

I'm paging back through my memory and... and... and...

Yes I'm sure you must have seen me in Everett... but there are so many who have seen me in Everett... I can't place which one you are.

Give me a hint. :D

Oh... on second reading I see that you didn't see me in Everett... you just saw that I was in Everett. Well... sure... by all means... look me up when you are here.

Nomaster:
Thanks for the response and insight that went with it. For once writing an ambiguous sentence has paid off for me.
But, I meant that people hate what they have let the acronym, "DIR" come to mean for them.
I think even the nastiest contributor to this thread probably isn't against improving his/her knowledge and skills.

Tom

I knew what you meant but took a different tack...

What you'll find Tom is that unfortunately some people are totally unable to separate their distaste for the "concept" to such an extent that they actually refuse to even look objectively at an idea or practice simply because of the "camp" which promotes it. They can set aside their desire for knowledge and skill improvement with an attitude of "I don't want to learn anything from them" which borders on arrogance.

I believe that true wisdom is being able to take the good and disregard the bad in any discussion or teaching.

bwerb:
I knew what you meant but took a different tack...

What you'll find Tom is that unfortunately some people are totally unable to separate their distaste for the "concept" to such an extent that they actually refuse to even look objectively at an idea or practice simply because of the "camp" which promotes it. They can set aside their desire for knowledge and skill improvement with an attitude of "I don't want to learn anything from them" which borders on arrogance.

I believe that true wisdom is being able to take the good and disregard the bad in any discussion or teaching.
Sadly I, somewhat, understand this type of insanity.
When I first learned to dive, eons ago, there was only one way to learn besides the Navy way, that was NAUI, so when I finally took the decision to return to diving I did backflips to get into a NAUI program.
Could not make the schedules match, so for for six months I stayed dry, then in despiration, I opened myself to another group. An instructor in Subic Bay answered me... apparently all the others I emailed were too busy... and I went.
A great two weeks, during which I opted for more training, and I'm going back for some unfinished business, my wreck dive course, and some further skills training. I need a bunch of it.
What a group of people, and the instructor was truly professional. So, I have my first couple cards PADI, but now know to check out instructors.
Well, I also know NAUI instuctors; I'm diving with one, met another and will probably be diving with a third soon.
Point is to me, It's the person who's teaching you.
Even an old fart like me can learn, maybe.

Tom

novadiver:
Don't do it. corndog
DUDE!

O-ring:
(decoweenieism), .... enjoy a mid-morning puff on the crack pipe, or have other dangerous character flaws that are contraindicated to safe diving.

O-ring,

Where have you been?

Great, now if we are not the DIR cream of the crop we are decoweeny, crack heads. Is that what your saying?

I guess that's better than being a stroke.

Back
Top Bottom