DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dweeb:
And I'd add that he sounds like he's trying to incite me.
The threats were clearly that.

I wasn't trying to threaten you ... I was trying to explain something to you.

Clearly my methods were lacking in this case, since you and others saw it in the manner you did.

Therefore I dropped it ... the task of delivering that explanation is now in other hands.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

bwerb:
I get worried about anyone who writes off a system/message/technique completely and is unwilling to do any further investigation themselves for validity due to the way in which it was communicated. If you can't use your own brain to investigate something which is presented to you and chose to more or less take the attitude of "I'm willing to listen to anyone except those guys who hurt my delicate sensitivities"...then I'm with UP...it's a great weeder.

Which is pretty much what I, and all the other "mean people" in this thread have been saying all along. Thanks for putting it so well.

dweeb:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overexposed2X
You DIR folk better get this chip off you shoulder. I was considering DIRF as it seems like a good program. However based on these types of responses, I am reconsidering.

If you let that influence you that much, then truly, you need to re-evaluate your decision making mechanism. I can find someone from every agency in existence who can easily make you angrier than the DIR people.
Heck, I myself am a PADI member, and I seem to rub a whole lot of people the wrong way. Based on the decision methodology you are implying, that would mean you'd have to forgo all dive training.

Would just like to point out you've attributed the quote ... and responded to ... the wrong person. FWIW - overexposed2x was in my DIR-F class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
What they said ... dive with a real DIR diver before making up your mind.

Don't let what you read on the Internet influence your decision.

AMEN!
OK, you know that when I agree 100% with Bob, that's saying something.

(But Bob, don't expect a hug or anything like that.)

pipedope:
It seems to me you are going by second hand information.
I was in the last class in Nuc school in Orlando that used sliderules. The instructors were not mean and did not pick on the students in any significant amount. There simply wasn't time. As you pointed out, we did the majority of a 4 year degree in nuclear power engineering in 6 months. The think that was hard was the fact that there was very little time to fix any problems. For people who learned quickly it was cake.

It was cake for my friend, too, but people who screwed up were NOT coddled, validated, or affirmed, and the consequences of failure were well understood and certain. Hardly the Barney love fest that the NEA feels is so necessary. He was never praised, and certainly no one hesitated to tell him when he was wrong. (Of course, the $2500 bonus for being first in his class made up for a lot of missed affirmation.)

pipedope:
never met anyone who attended all three academies.

Hence the plural 'people'. I work with a guy who attended two of them.

pipedope:
I can tell you that USNA (United States Naval Academy) was the toughest program I have ever experienced.

Then you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Nomaster:
There are people who are skilled enough to do that?
Which agency offers the course?

It's a PADI specialty, of course!

If you had been there to see it and hear their conversation, you probably wouldn't ask these questions. It was readily apparent that this team was not a team on this dive.

They were the same size tanks. What if the guy with the greater volume had a crappy consumption rate and the guy with the smaller volume was good. Take that failure at max penetration and you will see that they would likely have a problem. Since the guy with 3300 psi said his turn pressure was 2200 psi (i.e. 1100 usable in his mind) he could have used to much. If he said his turn pressure was 33-8 or 25, then the team would probably be ok. The fact he said 2200 meant that is what was in his head and probably what would have been written down in wetnotes as the CAS if he used them. Why complicate things by computing a wrong turn pressure?

Even if they had not been similar tanks, the time they took to determine each ones turn pressure could not have taken place that quick. This took all of 5 or 6 seconds to unclip, read the spg and state the turn pressure. Sorry, but I'm not buying anyone is that quick with unclipping reading and calculating the numbers that are so different to begin with. It was obvious each stated their turn pressures independant of the other.

novadiver:
Did both of these divers have the same CF size tanks? and do you think one diver would have proceded on when the other diver hit thirds? Or do you think that the diver with 3300 would have turned at 800 psi used?

Most divers down there know what the thirds rule is , and that it's the smaller of the tanks that controlles the dive. They also know about how to calc for differant size tanks. Maybe these divers have dove together so many times that they were a good team.( they were arguing, maybe they were freinds) It took me about one second to do the gas calcs in my head. It must take longer the GUE way, but it still adds up to the same. " the last third is not yours, It's your dive buddies"

Nomaster:
And I can agree with these assertions and "FEEL YOUR PAIN" without always being a perfect example of my own beliefs.
To be perfectly clear, I maybe sorta agree with much if not most of what you say and also what you seem to say you believe.
Should I add a smiley, or did I make the humor obvious?

I'm not sure, but I think I just made another friend.
I gotta be careful, else this will spoil my carefully cultivated reputation as a ne'er do well.

Spectre:
So back in junior high school, this football player pushed me down.

Yea.. I don't watch football, they are all a bunch of loser bullies.

You too, huh? Small world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom