Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn:
Well, I thought that Haldane and the goats was common knowledge? We've come a long way since those early tables, eh?

With regards to the 1978 Navy tables, it does not surprise me one bit. People used to do a lot of things that aren't considered too bright anymore. Progress is a good thing sometimes!

Did you specifically choose 1978 Navy tables for the fact that the Jonestown Massacre happened in 1978? Interesting coincidence, if not.

Jimmie
I used 1978 because that's when I was first certified and I still have my NDL tables. Just goes to show how far this industry has come

I'll take a stab at the original question:

1.) You find yourself repeatedly explaining/defending yourself to those who learned all there is to learn about DIR on the Internet.
2.) You get called a great assortment of new names: Nazi's, Kool-Aid Drinkers, Lemmings, Arrogant, Mindless, etc.

(these were my two "cyberdiver criticisms")

3.) You find yourself repeatedly humbled while diving as you become very self-aware of where you are performing below where you should. You can have a great time diving and really have fun but, you also take a good hard look at how you could have made it better next time. So, if you are not interested in honest self-examination, it wouldn't be for you.

4.) Your buddy/shop options become more selective as you begin to focus much more on diving with people who share your "philosophy of diving"

5.) It becomes more expensive. HID cannisters aren't cheap. Replacing gear you paid good money for and which is still "functional" is expensive but well worthwhile when you have an immediate concrete skill improvement, gas consumption drop etc.

5b.) The road to tech diving becomes more desirable...and more money is needed for more gear.

6.) It requires a greater time/life commitment. Staying on top of your game is more committing than just diving a few times a year for fun.

7.) The training takes longer than other "paths" to the same certification level.

8.) The egos and boneheads at the fringes who really do represent pure distilled arrogance and complete lack of any personal reasoning skills who for whatever reason seem to be the ones who are most likely to be identified as DIR who give the rest of us a bad name and do more to turn people off than anyone. Every crowd has them...we have our share of morons who make us cringe everytime they open their mouths. They truly are the exception to the rule but are clearly the "vocal minority" who tar us with their brush.

jjsteffen:
I love it. Cancun Mark plays sniper in this thread....then becomes sanctimonius

.....snip..................

Why not allow a DIR instructor to answer or if you wish, PM the original thread starter your opinion versus jumping in with your sage words that offer nothing other than that DIR is bad, ?

Actually I think DIR is a Great idea, I wish it had been around when I learned to dive, i would have jumped at the chance to take a DIR F course. I cant wait until it becomes more widely accepted and available, however there are still a lot of myths associated with it, and forums like this are helping eliminate those and dispel the mis understandings and mis information.

As far as offering advice, dude, this is an open forum on the internet, and I feel I can contribute, I have done quite a lot of diving and know something about the subject.

If I was sniping, it was only at o-ring, cause I just love how passionate and emotional his posts are, although I guess you are right, he hardly needs my encouragement.

cancun mark:
Actually I think DIR is a Great idea, I wish it had been around when I learned to dive, i would have jumped at the chance to take a DIR F course. I cant wait until it becomes more widely accepted and available, however there are still a lot of myths associated with it, and forums like this are helping eliminate those and dispel the mis understandings and mis information.

why don't we schedule a DIR-F in Cancun since I need a vacation. I'm sure I can find a GUE instructor for you, and I'll tag along and run the video. :wink:

novadiver:
You now have my complete respect . not many people know that a farm animal has done more for dive safety than any human.:) and it would surprise most to find out that the dive profile in question 2 comes from the ndl table circa 1978 ( U.S Navy) thanks for your input!

The rest get the Kool aid ,

I've got a test for you. I want to see a working implementation of ZHL-16B in any computer language that you care to write it in. I want to see a calculator which computes rock bottom limits for different depths given the same tank, I want the same calculator to compute halves and thirds turn points, and to compute dive times for both given 0.75 cuft/min surface RMV.

Then I want you to throw both of those away and be able to tell me without doing any calculations what your rock bottom should be for a dive, what your turn points are, what your expected SAC in psi/min should be at any point in the dive, if you expect deco or air to end the dive, and then after the dive i expect you to be able to tell me what your actual SAC was every 5 minutes.

Would you like some kool aid now? Its tasty...

boomx5:
why don't we schedule a DIR-F in Cancun since I need a vacation. I'm sure I can find a GUE instructor for you, and I'll tag along and run the video. :wink:

It's funny that you mention that. We are looking at putting together a DIR_F class in St. Croix. Any interest out there?

lamont:
Would you like some kool aid now? Its tasty...

Hey Lamont ... I've got some Kool Aid I'll share with ya. My buddies gave it to me on the boat the other day.

It's sugar-free though ... they said I don't get the real stuff till I lose the "provisional" status ... :bang:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

boomx5:

If you need a DIR-F instructor in Cancun might I recommend either Danny Riordan or Chris Le Maillot of www.dir-mexico.com

Both are excellent instructors and you'll have a heck of a time with them. They are located a mere hour or two south of you as well.

bwerb:
5b.) The road to tech diving becomes more desirable...and more money is needed for more gear.
Just to clarify... tech diving becomes more desireable because as you start looking at your diving (especially the deeper end of the traditional rec depths) you start to question the way you have been going about it. You start thinking, "maybe doing a 100-120' dive on a single AL80 isn't they best aproach". You start looking at the guys doing "weenie" deco dives and start thinking maybe they know something you don't. The next thing you know you've lost your footing and you're careening down that slippery slop.

NWGratefulDiver:
Hey Lamont ... I've got some Kool Aid I'll share with ya. My buddies gave it to me on the boat the other day.

It's sugar-free though ... they said I don't get the real stuff till I lose the "provisional" status ... :bang:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sugar free is good, I've been trying to cut down on simple carbs =)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom