Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only disadvantage I see, is in the label itself. Sounds arrogant and some people, not knowing what DIR is all about get defensive when they hear or read "DIR".

orcatwiggy:
I want to be a DIR diver. I was just asking...ever wanted to take back a post :06:

Thank you all for your comments.

Mr Moderator,

please erase this thread. Burn it...nuke it...Thank You

Absolutely no reason to erase your post orcatwiggy. Your question is a very valid one and was well thought out.

Rubis:
The only disadvantage I see, is in the label itself. Sounds arrogant and some people, not knowing what DIR is all about get defensive when they hear or read "DIR".

Getting over the name and getting over the fact that some of those who are central to DIR/GUE/WKPP have large egos are some of the hardest parts to DIR. I think that a lot of flailing about that people do trying to find problems with DIR come not from the system itself, but from the personalities and attitude surrounding the system. For me, I'm used to it -- I use open source software and can't stand RMS, I use Linux and can't stand Linus Torvalds, I use OpenBSD and can't stand Theo de Raadt. Not a huge leap for me to dive DIR...

I also think that DIR may just be too much work for some people and that it may involve a method of thinking that they don't care for. What I really like about DIR is that there's an almost obsessive focus on planning for the failure modes for your equipment, and there's a mentality there which I really appreciate. Of course, I come from a background where at work I maintain about 5000 linux machines and have seen just about every kind of computer crash that you can imagine. I have to plan for the eventuality that I'll lose entire RAID shelves on a fairly common basis because of how we push our systems and how many of them that we have. I'm used to the idea that if your MTTR is high you can expect to see double failures where two systems will be down concurrently pushing you from N+1 to N-1. DIR seems to me to have a fairly similar mentality and I enjoy it. Its kind of like playing mental chess against murphy's law....

I don't think that everyone enjoys this kind of obsessive and rigorous approach, and that they may prefer to just go out and dive...

detroit diver:
I can give you the arguements that the anti-DIR folks will give you:

1. We're religious fanatics, kool-aid, etc.
2. Don't like to be told how to dive.
3. We blindly follow our leaders
4. Unified equipment won't work for "my" kind of diving.
5. Too rigid.
6. Too elitist
7. No "personal preferences"
8. Don't want a hose "wrapped around my head" !!
9. Antiquated methods
10. I love my computer
11. I love deep air and I can "cope" with it.
12. I love my 15 d-rings
13. Wings will push your face into the water at the surface.

I'm sure I'm missing a few. Anyone want to add on??
:wink:

The long hose gets in the way of your snorkel ... :wink:

Seriously, if you're considering DIR-F then take the class sooner rather than later. I waited till I had over 900 dives before I did, and some of my habits are so ingrained I'd need an exorcist to get rid of 'em.

Almost without exception, the newer divers have an easier time with the class than the experienced divers.

Oh, and lock up your ego for about six months ... people who pass the class tend to be annoying evangelists, while people who do not pass the class tend to go into post DIR depression. Both symptoms are curable ... it just takes time and practice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Face it... You guys/gals ARE fanatics. In my opinion you bought into the biggest sales pitch/con game in recreational sports history. Sorry folks, but it's true. Concepts are great, utilization is another matter.....

QuoVadis:
Face it... You guys/gals ARE fanatics. In my opinion you bought into the biggest sales pitch/con game in recreational sports history. Sorry folks, but it's true. Concepts are great, utilization is another matter.....
Rule #2

Although I'm not a certified DIR diver, I tend to agree with the majority of the concerns I see the DIR people mentioning.
Nevertheless, the fact that I have to travel from Portugal to Spain or to England in order to find a DIR instructor so I can take the courses ... makes me unhappy.
I have heard of a lot of standardization ... I don't like that either. As for the rest of what has been said ... I wish the other agencies would take some of DIR's standards into their programs.
As a diving instructor I cannot agree with what o-ring said about having a c-card as soon as they "they swipe the visa". My students get their c-cards when they show they have mastered the skills. And I often do extra buoyancy work with OWDs. Then they get the c-card.
Just my 2 cents

As a diving instructor I cannot agree with what o-ring said about having a c-card as soon as they "they swipe the visa". My students get their c-cards when they show they have mastered the skills. And I often do extra buoyancy work with OWDs. Then they get the c-card.
Agreed...that was an unfair generalization. I should have known better..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom