Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
...Do not take the class with the idea of *passing*. Treat the class as if it were still a skills seminar. If they pass you at the end then fine and if not even better... you can practice what you learned and take it again. Remember... it isn't about passing a class... it is about acquiring skills.
I guess that's a different perspective, except I have never taken a class in my life that I didn't plan on passing. What is the percentage of DIR-F students that pass the first time around? You guys are making it sound like that percentage is pretty low.

I tried to sign up with Fifth-D, but the next class is full and the one after that (in October) coincides with my Mexico dive trip. (I'm guessing by the time I get in I'll have about 50 dives total.) Besides the course tuition there's 2 days of missed work plus a 4 day weekend in a hotel, so it's not something I hope to do more than once. Don't get me wrong - I am going with the intent to aquire skills, but I'd sure like to get a credential as well.

Jerry

geraldp:
I guess that's a different perspective, except I have never taken a class in my life that I didn't plan on passing.

I am going with the intent to aquire skills, but I'd sure like to get a credential as well.

Jerry
Jerry... you don't need the credentials unless you are planning to continue with GUE in the Tech 1 class (or recTriox.)

If you are planning on moving ahead with GUE then you need to get rid of the credentials mindset anyway and think skill set + knowledge base acquired.

geraldp:
What is the percentage of DIR-F students that pass the first time around? You guys are making it sound like that percentage is pretty low.
I don't know if GUE publishes stats on the pass rate, but from the several classes I have seen, the rate is pretty low.

geraldp:
Besides the course tuition there's 2 days of missed work plus a 4 day weekend in a hotel, so it's not something I hope to do more than once.
Did they change the schedule? The class used to start Friday night after work, and conclude Sunday afternoon. Or do you work weekends?

WJL:
Did they change the schedule? The class used to start Friday night after work, and conclude Sunday afternoon. Or do you work weekends?
Looks like they might have changed the schedule.

From Chris Dutton at FifthD: "there will be classroom on Thursday and Friday evening and then mostly diving on Sat and Sun with some classroom. "

Jerry

I went it into the Fundies class with 28 years of rec. experience. I got recertified OW, AOW and several other certs in the past 18 months. Over the years I probably have had a bit over 300 dives. My knowledge level and skills seemed to be fine in warm water, but were pretty poor in cold water w/ drysuit. I didn't seem to get what I needed from the recent certifications and that is what ultimately led me to DIR.

I took DIR-F not to pass, but improve myself as diver. In my class we had a mix of very experienced to just certified divers. None of us passed and none of us failed. We are all provisional and will all be re-evaluted in the near future. Sure it was an ego downer for us all. Bob - Grateful Diver perhaps had the most experience and I suspect he expected to breeze through it. His expectations for his performance were higher than mine, so he had further to fall. On the other hand he learned what his weaknesses are and has overcome them faster than some of the rest of us.

The short of this in my humble opinion is to take this class as soon as you can. You will learn new things no matter who you are. As has been the case with my classmates you may be put on provisional status, but don't make that a big deal. This class is all about showing you the things that you need to work on. If you have never tried or learned some of the skills that are taught, then don't expect yourself to learn and perform them flawlessly over the course of the weekend. A lot of information is thrown at you in a very short time and you will likely suffer from sensory overload.

I would also like to address the some of the negative things that people think about DIR. If you haven't been exposed to DIR through one of GUE's classes you really cannot make clear assessment of how unnecessary it may be. If you have dove with someone who has passed Tech 1 or higher and still don't feel that you can learn from them then fine, DIR may not be right for you. DIR-F students skills are the most basic and we should not be looked upon as fit representatives for this style of diving. To put it in perspective DIR-F is the OW of GUE. No one comes out of OW an expert at anything. Choose someone who is further along in their skills that match your own for a fair comparison. To those who have chosen DIR and choose to put others down that dive in another fashion, perhaps you should look in the mirror. First of all most of us we were divers before hearing about DIR. We dove successfully and safely during that time. Those of us who have chosen the DIR path have done so because we feel that other methods of learning have been lacking for our OWN personal needs and style of diving. I think that many who have adopted this path and call others strokes do so because they cannot think of themselves standing in those same shoes at some point in their past. It is a form of shame that they need to put down those who emmulate their own bad characteristics that they have worked so hard to change. There is also perhaps another reason why DIR converts choose to call non believers strokes and why they try to convert them. It is because they recognize their own failures and now finally see the obvious path. It frustrates them because others can't grasp it, since now it seems so simple and clear. They seem to forget that it took them (each of us) quite some time to finally evolve into this style of diving. For their own sakes I would like to see them stop condemning these other divers. It would be wise to remember what it felt like when they were just learning and stiring up the silt. If someone had come up to them and told them they would die and that they were a CF, then they would have been turned off completely. They should try mentoring with some of the same patience that was shown to them when they were learning. My advice to these advocates is to think about the following statement from AA: God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change. The courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

I dive with a variety of different divers. Just a few months ago after DIR-F I only wanted to dive with DIR divers because I was so uncertain about my skills. As I have practiced what I have learned and started honing my skills, I find myself no longer worring about diving with less experienced divers. Now it's kind of cool when someone asks me about how I don't stir up the silt or why my gear is configured the way it is. Do I like diving with people that churn up the bottom - yes and no. If they are receptive to learning a new skill like the frog kick then yes, I love it. That person can be my buddy any time. If they only want to dive their way and not learn a new trick that will increase their safety/ pleasure, and make my dive a pain, then no. Those people I won't dive with again. At the very least I won't bust their chops. Refer to the serenity prayer.

While DIR is about team diving, the process of adopting this style is an individual path. It may work for some of us, but not work for everyone. Can you be a safe and responsible diver without adopting DIR principles - yes (mainly for recreation diving). I certainly was for 28 years. Was I as skilled as I am now? Absolutely not. I also hope the DIR-F is just the beginning of a fun and enjoyable learning curve. I'll never be an expert diver no matter what I may achieve and I'm satisfied with that knowledge.

geraldp:
I guess that's a different perspective, except I have never taken a class in my life that I didn't plan on passing. What is the percentage of DIR-F students that pass the first time around? You guys are making it sound like that percentage is pretty low.
Jerry

In my class we are all provisional. I hope that I will pass it the next time around. It is a demanding class and the instructor will make sure that you learn something from the it no matter how good you are.

I have to agree with UP. Don't look at it as a cert. Instead do it for the skills. I'm not sure that I'll ever take Tech 1, but I'm sure as heck glad that I took fundies.

OE,

Excellent post. I just wanted to add a comment that I thought was important.

There have been many posts from the NON-DIR crowd stating that "so and so told me that if I didnt' do it their way that I would drown" AND "They all call us strokes".

In the 3+ years that I've been on this board, I cannot recall any instances (other than in kidding around) that anyone was told they were going to die if they didn't follow DIR protocols. As for anyone calling another a stroke, the instance is VERY rare.

My point is that sometimes a myth gets perpetuated, and the DIR folks get the blame for something that never (or rarely) happens. At least on this board.

Dive safe.

detroit diver:
OE,

Excellent post. I just wanted to add a comment that I thought was important.

There have been many posts from the NON-DIR crowd stating that "so and so told me that if I didnt' do it their way that I would drown" AND "They all call us strokes".

In the 3+ years that I've been on this board, I cannot recall any instances (other than in kidding around) that anyone was told they were going to die if they didn't follow DIR protocols. As for anyone calling another a stroke, the instance is VERY rare.

My point is that sometimes a myth gets perpetuated, and the DIR folks get the blame for something that never (or rarely) happens. At least on this board.

Dive safe.

But you have personally claimed that DIR is, in your word "flawless".

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom