Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
Just for the record, jjsteffen... they did bring back d33ps1x. Thought you might want to know. :wink:

I think it's more an issue of efficiency in motion then lack of situational awareness.

Since I seem to come and go often depending on which moderator I have recently irked perhaps he just decided to leave it up permenantly rather than go through the bother of switching it so much and risking carpel tunnel syndrome in the process. :D

CincyBengalsFan:
It's football season & I can still run an incredible offense.

Thanks for the RB, BTW. I think we just might have a 1/2 decent team here in NE this year too.

jbd:
Didn't realize spiders and ticks dove for sport.

Wait a minute, I thought there was a diving spider, you know, the one that spun sacks and used them for a diving bell of sorts...oh, off topic. Sorry :wink:

MASS-Diver:
Ya, just that one clase that called DIR a "con" seemed pretty close to a troll, but you're right, I don't think he'll get many bites.
You guys are proving my point. Just because I do not agree with you, you say it's a troll. Oh well....But I will explain my "CON" statement.
I did not know what DIR meant either. I wanted to find out more about it.
Punched it in GOOGLE and many articles came up. I read quite a few and you know what my first impression was (and still is) they sound like used car salesman!!!
Then someone was selling his COBRA because he was going DIR! WHAT??????? How crazy! It's a con to sell gear people!
Like I said....the concept is great but someone somewhere is seeing $$$ signs.
Nothing wrong with what you belive in........I would still dive with you DIR folks! Who knows...We all may learn something!

Boogie711:
If you want to think you're good at diving, then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you want to wear split fins, smoke, have crappy trim or bouyancy, then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you want to dive solo because "you think it's safer" then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you want other people to look up to your PADI Divemaster status, then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you're the kind of person who turns your back on the buddy, because "you'll find them eventually," then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you're too cheap for Nitrox, and think it's ok to pass anything deeper than 50 feet on air, then you don't want to dive DIR.

That is the biggest bunch of BS I have read to date.

QuoVadis:
I did not know what DIR meant either. I wanted to find out more about it.
Punched it in GOOGLE and many articles came up.

Why didn't you just read the What is DIR? post at the top of this forum? It breaks it down nicely, and is easy to find. Or better yet go to the source at http://www.gue.com

QuoVadis:
I read quite a few and you know what my first impression was (and still is) they sound like used car salesman!!!
Then someone was selling his COBRA because he was going DIR! WHAT??????? How crazy! It's a con to sell gear people!

Ok now that's just silly and doesn't make sense. You find a person on the web who is selling their gear because they are starting DIR, and you think DIR means you have to buy new gear? You only have to buy new gear if you have the wrong kind to begin with.

QuoVadis:
Like I said....the concept is great but someone somewhere is seeing $$$ signs.

I take it you haven't seen the 18,416 new fin improvements over the years. Yet somehow this latest design is the be-all-end-all of fin design? It's a well know fact that Halycon was created in response to the lack of DIR equipment on the market. There are tons of non-Halycon equipment that qualifies as DIR, as well. This argument/debate/insult/comment is very old, and untrue.

Honestly, the people that scare me are the throngs of casual divers I run into on boats and in the dive parks - the "la la la look at the fishie" types who's heads aren't in the game and who pinball off every rock, wreck and bottom element they are unfortunate to come across.

I'm sure there is an average diver that does not go to both extremes: neither DIR and perfect nor pinballing in every rock.

When I say "DIR and perfect" I mean it. IMHO what the DIR guys are trying to achive is perfectness. I'm not discussing if they are right or wrong. I just believe they want to have perfect dives.

But, the other (non-DIR) divers are not all wrecking the bottom of the ocean or theyr gear. Some people do dive with good boyancy and care for the environment.

Unfortunately, due to distance, I have not done any DIR course (yet) but from what I hear and see (I have done dives with a DIR guy and bought my dry suit from a DIR person), the two main disadvantages of DIR are: (1) generalization and (2) a sense of exclusiveness.

Let me explain:
(1) generalization: everybod that does not dive DIR is pinballing the rocks. Not so, some of us are acceptable divers with acceptable buoyancy.
(2) a sense of exclusiveness: instructors are invited to the club and there is the idea that it is difficult to get to be an instructor. Now ... this makes DIR people think they are members of a closed club (much in the sense of those yachting or golf clubs where you have to pay a lot to enter and your applcation risks being refused).

My choice of words may not be the best, given that English is a secong language to me, bit I hope you understand what I mean.

Regards

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom