Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
"Why is this thread allowed to continue?" you may be asking yourself.

Or you may be wondering why you have gotten a blister on your finger pushing the report post button to no avail.

Well... it's like this... I figure children need to squabble every once in a while or they will explode.

Yes, the DIR forum is a no trolling zone. But this thread was destined for squabbling... and as long as it is confined here and serves the purpose of occupying those of you with nothing better to do.. then I figure it at least keeps you off the streets and out of the bars.

Besides... with a thread title like "Disadvantages of DIR ?" how could it have turned out other wise (even though I believe the original poster's intent was pure.)

We all know that there are no disadvantages of DIR.
I think one big disadvantage of DIR is that your spouse and loved ones will have to wait a loooong time to cash in on that fat life insurance policy. If I had a spouse I didn't like, I'd want her to take up "solo hook setting" as an occupation so I could count the millions, quit my job, and dive more often..

O-ring:
Heh.. Don't you have something to do rather than troll the DIR forum?

you took that the wrong way, it was a compliment.

the whole simplicty and minimalism is what I was talking about.

O-ring:
I think one big disadvantage of DIR is that your spouse and loved ones will have to wait a loooong time to cash in on that fat life insurance policy. If I had a spouse I didn't like, I'd want her to take up "solo hook setting" as an occupation so I could count the millions, quit my job, and dive more often..

As usual, a very interesting suggestion. It's been a while now, but the last time I bought insurance, they asked about Scuba diving (I guess they see it as a risk factor). They were then concerned about types of diving (ie, cave) and depth. No questions about solo, but this was quite a few years ago. Does DIR get you a discount like "defensive driving" or does it at least offset the added risk factors associated with deep and tech diving?

Uncle Pug:
"Why is this thread allowed to continue?" you may be asking yourself.

Or you may be wondering why you have gotten a blister on your finger pushing the report post button to no avail.

Well... it's like this... I figure children need to squabble every once in a while or they will explode.

Yes, the DIR forum is a no trolling zone. But this thread was destined for squabbling... and as long as it is confined here and serves the purpose of occupying those of you with nothing better to do.. then I figure it at least keeps you off the streets and out of the bars.

Besides... with a thread title like "Disadvantages of DIR ?" how could it have turned out other wise (even though I believe the original poster's intent was pure.)

We all know that there are no disadvantages of DIR.

I usually have a bone to throw in these fights. But no need in this one as it approaches 250.

I know what will win EVERYONE over with DIR. Get the Hooters girls to endorse them! I'll even be sold then.

Disadvantage #1 of DIR....Not enough provocative pics of chics in Halcyon in their books. #2 Not enough hot chics in bikinis teaching DIR. PADI does rule in this.

I find Uncle Pugs statement about DIR divers being the best trained out there laughable, I think maybe the various levels of Navy Diving, from Combat Diver to Master Dive Tender would probably lay better claim to that. That is unless DIR classes have become 9, 12, 16 week long, live in classes that run 10 hours a day, 6 days a week.

I'd also add that all of the great divers I have gotten wet with had training from virtually every organization they could find. They learned everything that they could, and used what worked best for the type of diving. None of them specialized in one type of diving or one (even 2 or 3) training organizations.

With all do seriousness; I think the primary cons of DIR are 2 things.

First, is it being overly rigid.

2nd is the extremely poor showing from DIR advocates (and even instructors) on the assorted diving message boards.

As some others so succinctly said, just dive.

awap:
As usual, a very interesting suggestion. It's been a while now, but the last time I bought insurance, they asked about Scuba diving (I guess they see it as a risk factor). They were then concerned about types of diving (ie, cave) and depth. No questions about solo, but this was quite a few years ago. Does DIR get you a discount like "defensive driving" or does it at least offset the added risk factors associated with deep and tech diving?
I am pretty sure that all the major insurance companies offer "DIR Discounts" if you check the scuba diving part of your application. It's a non-issue from an insurance standpoint because they know the risks and realize that you are a non-risk at that point.

However, if you check "tough guy solo diver", "HFS", "knuckle dragging deep air advocate", or "80lb weightbelt CESA dropper", you better get Bill Gates to foot the bill for your insurance premiums.

MartiniTime:
I find Uncle Pugs statement about DIR divers being the best trained out there laughable, I think maybe the various levels of Navy Diving, from Combat Diver to Master Dive Tender would probably lay better claim to that. That is unless DIR classes have become 9, 12, 16 week long, live in classes that run 10 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Ok...the best non-commercial/military training available.

First, is it being overly rigid.

Have you taken a GUE course? If not, I'd say you have no idea what you are talking about.

As some others so succinctly said, just dive.

No....dive safely...as safely as possible. That's all we are trying to do. I don't think anyone can question that the training received in a GUE course provides a student with the tools to be an extremely safe and competent diver.

Uncle Pug:
Sounds like you're declaring open season for the naysayers and contrarians to spew their conspiracy theories and other abject buffoonery at will. In exchange for this I think we should be allowed to harrass the solo divers for a while.

Isn't the military training like comparing apples to oranges? These guys don't care about trim and buoyancy, they care about staying alive and not showing up on enemy radar when they are sneaking into harbors to blow stuff up.

I also think, that if you look at military diving vs. DIR vs. "the others" you will probably notice more similarities between the military and DIR than you will with the patchwork of personal preference that characterizes the "others". Why don't we ask the military guys if they think they should all be allowed to bring their own guns, packs, clothing, and supplies. How about that? What if we tell them they can't work in squads, but instead need to "solo". Let's tell them that they go one at a time behind enemy lines, with their own preferred firearm, with their own preferred clothing and gear and that they are on their own if they get into trouble.

Oh, just for grins let's make them do it drunk too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom