Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kracken:
I think a comparison that would shed some light on this on-going tirade would be the percentage of deaths in recreational diving per annum compared to the number of deaths in technical diving per annum.

Just on this board alone there has been reports of five tech divers and twelve rec diver fatalities . I know of three other fatalities all tech that were not reported here.That would be 8 tech and 12 rec or 40% tech to 60% rec. The stange thing is that of the eight tech fatalities five were in caves.

novadiver:
Just on this board alone there has been reports of five tech divers and twelve rec diver fatalities . I know of three other fatalities all tech that were not reported here.That would be 8 tech and 12 rec or 40% tech to 60% rec. The stange thing is that of the eight tech fatalities five were in caves.

How do those 20 deaths compare with the number of dives made within the same time frame :06:

novadiver:

This makes no sense. Are there equal tech divers to an equal amount of rec divers? Do they all do the exact same amount of dives every day of the year? Is the population of tech divers the exact same as rec divers? Not to mention this is just the ScubaBoard. Not an actual list of accidents or deaths. Try buying or finding the DAN reports and Navy reports. No, not PADI or DIR reports, they are about as accurate as my dart throwing at 4 a.m.

jbd:
How do those 20 deaths compare with the number of dives made within the same time frame :06:

Exactly.

The ratio means nothing without knowing how many dives were done in each category. I doubt either death to dive ratio is much more than a statistical blip on the radar screen. Lots of zeros to the right of the decimal point before you see a number in either case IMO.

gedunk:
Exactly.

The ratio means nothing without knowing how many dives were done in each category. I doubt either death to dive ratio is much more than a statistical blip on the radar screen. Lots of zeros to the right of the decimal point before you see a number in either case IMO.

I agree with the statement about the statistical blip . but does higher forms of training equal less risk? I think this is the hart of the matter. more training= less risk but does not equal no risk.

CincyBengalsFan:
No, not PADI or DIR reports, they are about as accurate as my dart throwing at 4 a.m.

Is this more rampant speculation fueled by insecurity and paranoia or have you conducted your own analysis? If so, I'm sure that we'd all be fascinated to see your results, together with the calculations underlying your analysis.

Second, what is a "DIR" report? Is that the same as a GUE report?

Northeastwrecks:
Is this more rampant speculation fueled by insecurity and paranoia or have you conducted your own analysis? If so, I'm sure that we'd all be fascinated to see your results, together with the calculations underlying your analysis.

Second, what is a "DIR" report? Is that the same as a GUE report?

Sorry to confuse you. You'll just have to figure it out. Yes, I'm very insecure..LMAO...and paranoid..RLMAON.

You made my night. Thanx

I'm guessing your an attorney...LMAO

novadiver:
I agree with the statement about the statistical blip . but does higher forms of training equal less risk? I think this is the hart of the matter. more training= less risk but does not equal no risk.

Higher levels of competency and training will not eliminate risk but it may well put a few more zero's between the decimal point and the 1. Nothing humans do is free from risk.

I would have thought that it might be more to do with following training rather than the training itself. Rec divers with little training too often seem to forget what they were actually taught - resulting in dangerous situations. Divers who have done more advanced (and much more expensive) training seem to dive more often, practice more, and generally put into practice what they have learnt because they know you can't simply 'forget' bits. Sure diving always has some risk - so does crossing a road: if you look before you cross a road it's less risk, if you do what you were taught by your instructor diving is also safer than if you don't.

CincyBengalsFan:
Sorry to confuse you. You'll just have to figure it out. Yes, I'm very insecure..LMAO...and paranoid..RLMAON.

You made my night. Thanx

I'm guessing your an attorney...LMAO

Thanks ever so much.

I'm disappointed that you won't back up your claim. I guess that we'll never get to see what passes in your world for math. Then again, as I recall, you've never been able to explain your unreasoned fear of GUE, DIR, etc... I guess that you've added PADI to the list now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom