Disappointment in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Riemer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Got up real early this morning and made my way to Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach to meet my instructor for our O/W dives. He told us to be there by 6:00, so I was there at 5:30. Eager would be a good way to describe it. Met my buddy and we waited. We're talking and I look in the rear view mirror. The instuctor is here, let's go! We walk over only to hear, "we're not going." Too much surge. So, we gotta wait until next weekend. I'm bummed because I've been looking forward to it. There were people diving but I understand he wouldn't subject us students to any hazard.

I'll get over it, but try to cheer me up anyway.

Hi Scott:
As you know, better safe then sorry. Sounds like you have a good instructor. Hang in there..next weekend will be better!

There will be other days, trust me. And when the conditions are just right, you'll know it was worth the wait. :)

For what its worth....I cancelled my class for today ( to be held at Diver's Cove just two blocks south) on Thursday. When you read about the potential of rain and there is a storm in the area, you can pretty much realize that dive conditions are going to be poor. I bring this up so that after you get certified, you can make diving decisions without having to drive all the way down to Laguna, early in the morning.

Its not a guarantee. It can 'sound' good and when you get down there, be bad...thats why you want to spend 5-10 mins watching the surf before entering to understand the conditions. At the same time, its possible I miss an 'ok' dive based upon these factors.

Two links that I watch fairly closely in determining whether we are going to dive is:

Laguna Sea Sports Dive Conditions and
Southern California Swell Model

Despite what is posted, I suspect that Laguna Sea Sports doesn't REALLY dive every morning...but probably more often than not.

For some reason, the Swell Model site is currently down..it was working last night and the swell were picking.

Don't worry, this storm is freakish for this time of year, so you will most likely be in the water next weekend.

It's probably a day of really bad vis anyway. I was surprised this morning when I got up and saw that it was raining here in Altadena. I'm not sure if it's raining on the coast.

I agree with Natasha about it sounding like you have a great instructor. That's not a great dive for you to get your feet wet in OW. (Pun intended! It's part of the "cheer up factor".)

That's a beautiful dive to do when conditions are better. You'll have plenty of time to dive it some day on a rainy day when you think your skills are up to it. I've done it under those conditions to practice some specific skills, but you'll find that it's more work than fun on a day like that. You wouldn't really see anything to tell your friends about later.

Enoy a better dive another day!

Christian

yup!
i agree! dove there as well as part of our class.....really fun, but when the vis is bad, totally not worth it!

wait for a sunny day! =) happy days are around the corner!

-dan

Life is what happens in spite of other plans - especially weather. Flew to Florida once to dive 6 particular Keys Wrecks, and got blown out completely 3 days of the week. The other 3 sucked, and no wrecks.

Live to dive another day. Went back a few months later.

Scott Riemer:
Got up real early this morning and made my way to Shaw's Cove in Laguna Beach to meet my instructor for our O/W dives. He told us to be there by 6:00, so I was there at 5:30. Eager would be a good way to describe it. Met my buddy and we waited. We're talking and I look in the rear view mirror. The instuctor is here, let's go! We walk over only to hear, "we're not going." Too much surge. So, we gotta wait until next weekend. I'm bummed because I've been looking forward to it. There were people diving but I understand he wouldn't subject us students to any hazard.

I'll get over it, but try to cheer me up anyway.

One of the things you also need to learn during the basic open water course is how to make the go-or-no-go decision. That is part of the site survey.

Here is how NAUI teaches it:

SEABAG =

Survey of the site
Emergency procedures
Activity planning
Buoyancy planning
Air planning
Gear planning

Different instructors have different variations of the Survey portion. I use the following visual:

The water
The waves
The wind
The sky
The horizon
The beach
The sand
The rocks
The kelp
The current

If the water is not too clear, it is not worth diving.

If the waves are pronounced, it is not worth diving. Surge is in part the underwater manifestation of the waves. The waves are normally (but not always) your clue about the surge. Pronounced underwater surge obscures visibility and makes the diving miserable by kicking you back and forth underwater.

If the wind is already up, even though it is early in the day, then the waves are only going to get worse, and it is not worth diving.

If the sky is all cloudy and stormy, then the wind is going to pick up, as are also the waves, and it is not worth diving.

If the horizon is dark and gloomy, well, you catch my drift ... .

If conditions are not right, you must call-off the dive, and go somewhere else, or wait until another day to dive. Not every day is a good day nor a safe day to go diving.

Remember that OW is still training, and you have a good instructor because he called the dive. I think that's some of the hardest training to do, be glad, you did the right thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom