Disassembling doubles for hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm sure the answer to my question is common knowledge, but somehow I'm failing to find it using search...

I have a set of doubles with isolation manifold, half full, which I'd like to disassemble and bring for hydro. I realize that I can't remove the manifold while it's still pressurized.

So what is the standard procedure? 1) drain, 2) disassemble, 3) bring for hydro/viz, 4) pick up, 5) assemble; 6) fill?

If that's the only way, then so be it, but I'm concerned that if I bring them home separated, then assemble and bring for fill, the shop may refuse to fill completely empty tanks... Plus I believe air fill is included with hydro/viz, so it would suck to get them filled, then drain just for assembly...

If you are taking them to hydro independent of the dive shop, then they will just need a dive shop VIP/assembly/fill. Since VIP is a scuba industry specific thing and not used literally anywhere else, the hydro shops don't normally put any sort of VIP sticker on there. If they do, then just borrow/make/use a transfill whip and put a couple hundred PSI in them from some other tank, and get them filled

I'm sure the answer to my question is common knowledge, but somehow I'm failing to find it using search...

I have a set of doubles with isolation manifold, half full, which I'd like to disassemble and bring for hydro. I realize that I can't remove the manifold while it's still pressurized.

So what is the standard procedure? 1) drain, 2) disassemble, 3) bring for hydro/viz, 4) pick up, 5) assemble; 6) fill?

If that's the only way, then so be it, but I'm concerned that if I bring them home separated, then assemble and bring for fill, the shop may refuse to fill completely empty tanks... Plus I believe air fill is included with hydro/viz, so it would suck to get them filled, then drain just for assembly...

See what your shop charges to disassemble/assemble doubles. I have my shop do it. They do this pretty often, so much quicker and saves frustration on my part.

EDIT: missed the part that yours need hydro.

Why would the lds refuse to vip and fill 2 newly hydroed cylinders?

The shop will need to do a vis before they can be assembled again.

Breaking down doubles is easy and saves you $15-20.

Shop may charge $25 assembly/ disassembly, we do . After hydro besides visual inspection , tanks will need O2 cleaning(we charge $50 per tank) if tanks will be filled by partial pressure method for nitrox. We at times allow customer to disassemble/assemble in store themselves to avoid a bit of the expense.

I guess I've seen a lot more stupid things from a lds. But I can't think of a reason for the lds not to do the vip, have you assemble, and bring back to fill.

If you are taking them to hydro independent of the dive shop, then they will just need a dive shop VIP/assembly/fill. Since VIP is a scuba industry specific thing and not used literally anywhere else, the hydro shops don't normally put any sort of VIP sticker on there. If they do, then just borrow/make/use a transfill whip and put a couple hundred PSI in them from some other tank, and get them filled

Yes, I'm planning to take them for hydro independent of my LDS, which doesn't have a hydro facility and already told me they charge in the ballpark of $200 for assembly/disassembly before outsourcing hydro to somewhere else (rumor has it - the very place I'm planning to bring tanks myself).

This place I'm bringing them to is scuba related, so they would do hydro/viz, and also a fill I believe is included. But I suspect they would charge for assembly too...

See what your shop charges to disassemble/assemble doubles. I have my shop do it. They do this pretty often, so much quicker and saves frustration on my part..

$200 which I'm not ready to shell out.

Why would the lds refuse to vip and fill 2 newly hydroed cylinders?

They wouldn't refuse to vip and fill, but they might refuse to fill if it's already vip-ed elsewhere, but empty. I guess that's an option - just do hydro, without vip, then assemble, and vip/fill at LDS.

EDIT: that last part is a scratch. Just realized they can't do a viz with a manifold on. Stupid me...

Yes, I'm planning to take them for hydro independent of my LDS, which doesn't have a hydro facility and already told me they charge in the ballpark of $200 for assembly/disassembly before outsourcing hydro to somewhere else (rumor has it - the very place I'm planning to bring tanks myself).

This place I'm bringing them to is scuba related, so they would do hydro/viz, and also a fill I believe is included. But I suspect they would charge for assembly too...

$200 which I'm not ready to shell out.

They wouldn't refuse to vip and fill, but they might refuse to fill if it's already vip-ed elsewhere, but empty. I guess that's an option - just fo hydro, without vip, then assemble, and vip/fill at LDS.

$200? That’s effing insane. I get charged $30 or so. My shop takes care of hydro and VIP.

$200? That’s effing insane. I get charged $30 or so. My shop takes care of hydro and VIP.

That's what the owner told me on the phone. But then again, he goes out of his way to discourage me from using doubles or even thinking about going tech.

Back
Top Bottom