Discover Scuba for 12 yr old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any ideas? She is good in the water and very motivated, but I want a gentle patient female to work with her...

Check with Blanca at Blue Project.

Jackie, when are you going to be on Cozumel?

We are arriving the 18th and leaving on Saturday the 23.. I was also wondering about the people at Chankanaab since that is pretty easy from what I recall (no drift, easy shore dive? ) and still a lot to see.

"...good in the water..." Uh, how is she at snorkeling?

I gave my kids a snorkeling class in a pool first, then they went out on a trimaran when they cruised to Coz and loved that - and I'd go that 1, 2 approach first. After, 3 pool discover, then maybe 4 ocean discover. It's a total trust-me dive tho so I'd want to be along with my camera, pony, rescue training, etc. Eh, I tend to be a mother hen, but they tend to be rambunctious.
have fun...!!

Mau from Scubamau is incredibly patient and an excellent instructor. I took my wife to do a shore dive last year at Villa Blanca and she loved it. She is a snorkel fan. So I arranged with Mau to do her OW course with her. My wife is like a little girl in the fear level area. He totally handled her with care and aplomb. My wife is a great little diver now. She raved to me at how patient and soft he was with her insecurities. I highly recommend him.
Sorry dont know any lady instructors except Christie and she can't teach in water right now.

Don,
You are right. We have been working along just the program you suggest. She has done a lot of snorkeling from catamaran with me and sometimes the conditions have been not so great and she handled the waves/current without panicing.
I have had her in my pool with my scuba gear just to sit in three feet of water and get the idea. But that was last summer. I will get down my kit and have her practice with the mechanics of the bcd and reg on dry lad so she does not get information overload.
I agree that it is a real trust me dive!
Thank you all for your ideas.

Jackie

My daughter turned 10 in 2010 and she was certified by Mau at Scuba Mau during our August trip. He was wonderful with her and she felt very nurtured in his hands. I also felt very comfortable with him teaching her.

From age 8 she had done the PADI SEAL team and Master Seal team program out our LDS and so when it came to graduating to real diving it was really a natural transition.

I would suggest:
See if your LDS teaches the seal team and Master Seal Team. It is an amazing course with everything from search and rescue, shooting lift bags, night dives and constructing space stations all in the comfort of a pool. If she can do that before she leaves for Coz she will gain even more from her time in Coz but if not it is not a big deal.

Scuba Mau were an ideal teaching facility for a couple of reasons - firstly Mau was great with my daughter. She completed her training and then we did her cert dives on 40 feet reefs. The other benefit to SM is the fact that the facility is at La Palapita which is almost an in-sea swimming pool with depths that start at 4 feet and max out at 18 feet or so with enough creatures to make it extra interesting. For the rest of the family you can either hang out at La Palapita or go out diving with Scuba Mau knowing that onshore your daughter will be taken care of.

We will be returning to dive with Mau, Opal and the boys this August and Alissa is only upset that I wont let her dive morning and afternoon dives each day. If you have any questions feel free to ask

Craig

My daughter turned 10 in 2010 and she was certified by Mau at Scuba Mau during our August trip. He was wonderful with her and she felt very nurtured in his hands. I also felt very comfortable with him teaching her.

From age 8 she had done the PADI SEAL team and Master Seal team program out our LDS and so when it came to graduating to real diving it was really a natural transition.

I would suggest:
See if your LDS teaches the seal team and Master Seal Team. It is an amazing course with everything from search and rescue, shooting lift bags, night dives and constructing space stations all in the comfort of a pool. If she can do that before she leaves for Coz she will gain even more from her time in Coz but if not it is not a big deal.

Scuba Mau were an ideal teaching facility for a couple of reasons - firstly Mau was great with my daughter. She completed her training and then we did her cert dives on 40 feet reefs. The other benefit to SM is the fact that the facility is at La Palapita which is almost an in-sea swimming pool with depths that start at 4 feet and max out at 18 feet or so with enough creatures to make it extra interesting. For the rest of the family you can either hang out at La Palapita or go out diving with Scuba Mau knowing that onshore your daughter will be taken care of.

We will be returning to dive with Mau, Opal and the boys this August and Alissa is only upset that I wont let her dive morning and afternoon dives each day. If you have any questions feel free to ask

Craig

no need for seal team..the child is 12,old enough to be certified..I see she lives in Westchester NY.She can take a ow class here and get her training dives done in Cozumel. If interested pm me here and I'll answer any questions you have.The LDs I teach out of here in Yonkers NY has a patient female instructor and we can get all her academics and confined water work done before your trip. We can put her in a group or if you prefer a private class at your schedule.We have an onsite indoor heated pool available 24hrs a day/7 days a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom