• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Discovery Scuba Dive and fins

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Scubaboy17, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Scubaboy17

Scubaboy17 Garibaldi

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hey all! Just a quick question. Do all dive agencies require its DSD participants to wear fins? I know PADI mandates that but I'm not sure for the rest.

Thanks in advance

2. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    how do you expect them to get around without fins? are you going to drag them around like a tandem dive or have them walk on the bottom?

Steve_C and BikerBecca like this.
  3. Princess Chris

Princess Chris Instructor, Scuba

Unfortunately there are quite a few things that are mandatory that are sometimes ignored by some dive shops. I have been sent photos by friends of them doing DSDs and my first question is "where the hell are your fins?" Now as funny as it is to watch someone flap around in scuba gear with no fins, DSDs participants should always be given fins. I'm not sure if it is mandatory or not but even if it is there's going to be a few places that will have their own plan.

4. Griffo

Griffo DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Pretty sure this thread is triggered by a photo doing the rounds on Facebook. Two Filipino guides are diving with two uncertified divers. The clients have no fins, and the guides are breathing from the octo while they hover above and hold the clients.

It breaks so many standards but FB seems to have focused on the fins.
    FB_IMG_1565611981376.jpg

Doc, BlueTrin and Fishyhead like this.
  5. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

37utd8.jpg

6. edwants2dive

edwants2dive Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    OMG WTF!
    I would think the participant would question this as they would likely not go snorkeling without fins. I know some people wouldn't know any better so to speak but I would think most would question it.

7. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

Well, DSD.....?

8. Jcp2

Jcp2 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

It reminds me of tandem skydiving.

DeepSeaExplorer likes this.
  9. Zef

Zef Divemaster

Note that PADI recognizes dive operations are free to conduct "try-dive" events that are not covered under the PADI Discover Scuba Dive program (DSD). As ridiculous as things look in the posted picture, it cannot be determined from that alone that this is indeed an official DSD...if an operation is conducting a "try-dive" event they are free to have their clients wear fins or not wear fins however silly others may find that.

-Z

Neilwood likes this.
  10. DeepSeaExplorer

DeepSeaExplorer Solo Diver

Well... that’s one way to make sure the guide stays close. It also keeps those pesky nubes from swimming off after a fish or something.