Finning for Sidemount Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to prep for Sidemount course, good news is that I passed the eLearning. Quick question, how much emphasis is placed on finning? Is it a huge component of the training? Right now all I've done/know to do is flutter kicks however I've read that frog kicks and back kicks are needed as well. Any input on what i need to practice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Trying to prep for Sidemount course, good news is that I passed the eLearning. Quick question, how much emphasis is placed on finning? Is it a huge component of the training? Right now all I've done/know to do is flutter kicks however I've read that frog kicks and back kicks are needed as well. Any input on what i need to practice is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Not to diss you, but the eLearning for SDI at least, is super easy.

The finning portion probably depends on the instructor. I don’t remember mine mentioning it at all.

i would depend on the agencies requirements.

certain instructors may try to add extras in the course that they feel are beneficial, but if the skills they add are not a requirement then they cannot withhold your cert if you do not meet their standards.

for an open water sm course, i would hope finning would be discussed and you were given the basics to practice on your own at least.

but for a cavern or cave course for example, i would assume their would be a high emphasis on proper finning techniques for those environments.

So -believe it or not- the SDI Sidemount requirements do NOT specifically require Frog-kicking; however in Tec Sidemount the TDI requirements do (In frog-kick perform a Back-kick, and Helicopter-turn) The PADI requirements do require Frog kick in both rec and tec. Sidemount skill sets.

So, while they are not required in the recreational SDI Sidemount class they are core sidemount kicks and should be learned if you want to keep good form and trim in an S/M configuration... flutters will not maintain trim and will defeat much of the advantages of SM weight distribution.

Dive safe,

Dan

Not to diss you, but the eLearning for SDI at least, is super easy.

The finning portion probably depends on the instructor. I don’t remember mine mentioning it at all.
No offense taken! :) Yes it is with SDI, I'm just happy I'm making progress. My goal is to work SM buoyancy and kicks in preparation of the actual class which will most likely occur somewhere between Nov and Jan.

certain instructors may try to add extras in the course that they feel are beneficial, but if the skills they add are not a requirement then they cannot withhold your cert if you do not meet their standards.
That is not true for SDI. An SDI instructor can add performance requirements to courses. I encourage divers who choose SDI to choose instructors who do just that.

i would depend on the agencies requirements.

for an open water sm course, i would hope finning would be discussed and you were given the basics to practice on your own at least.

but for a cavern or cave course for example, i would assume their would be a high emphasis on proper finning techniques for those environments.
When I taught the SDI Sidemount course I did have finning requirements and meeting them was necessary to get the card from me.
SDI not only allows, but encourages instructors to add to the course based on local conditions and real world experience.
As one of the editors and technical contributors to the SDI course, I hope the instructor also spends at least 6-8 hours in the classroom to make sure you understand the e-learning, go over your gear configuration, and drill/grill you on gas management.
It's pretty easy to pass the e-learning. It's another thing to absorb and retain the information. Before your class, I'd suggest going back through it 5 or 6 times to make sure.
Then insist the instructor test you on all of it. Both in the classroom and in the pool and open water.

When I taught the SDI Sidemount course I did have finning requirements and meeting them was necessary to get the card from me.
hi jim
i was an ssi instructor. we were not allowed to withhold a students cert if they met the minimum requirements set out by ssi for that course.
it is interesting that other agencies allow an instructor to determine for themselves whether the student passes or fails based on their own set of criteria rather than those set out by that agency.

SDI not only allows, but encourages instructors to add to the course based on local conditions and real world experience.
As one of the editors and technical contributors to the SDI course, I hope the instructor also spends at least 6-8 hours in the classroom to make sure you understand the e-learning, go over your gear configuration, and drill/grill you on gas management.
It's pretty easy to pass the e-learning. It's another thing to absorb and retain the information. Before your class, I'd suggest going back through it 5 or 6 times to make sure.
Then insist the instructor test you on all of it. Both in the classroom and in the pool and open water.
THANKS as always!

Well looks like I'll be practicing my kicks prior to taking the actual class. My plan is to get set up and then practice, practice and practice until I'm proficient. Only then will I take the course. Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom