Disturbing trend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice sig line, N2Hndy.

I mean, H2Andy. My name isn't johhythan :wink:

i will admit that i dont agree with everything that Genesis has to say but at the same time i dont agree with everything that Pete or anyone else has to say either. i will say this though, i have enjoyed reading a lot of Genesis's post, LOL maybe not his long-winded ones but a lot of them anyways. i enjoy reading post from just about everyone on here and i hope this can be settled soon without to many problems. i wish we ALL could get along.

thanks,
steve

Dear users,

Genesis has not been banned. He has been asked to refrain from promoting that others should learn how to dive basic OW scuba and in overhead environments without an instructor. We feel that this is a dangerous proposition and have requested that he stop immediately. There are many reasons for this, and while some are legal the bigger ones are ethical. He has thus far complied with our requests and is free to remain and contribute.

No matter what your feelings are toward Genesis, you do not have the right to abuse him. You can be sharply critical of any of his theories as long as you stop short of being abusive. Of all the people on this board, I have been the brunt of his harshest criticism, and yet I do not feel the need to celebrate that he "might be gone" or that he has been censored. I honestly do not bear any ill will towards the man.

As for pulled posts, we will usually try and PM the initiator of any thread that we pull. Trying to PM all involved in a thread that has gone "south" is simply not possible, and will not happen. Most who have their post(s) pulled know exactly why, even though they may claim innocence. This is all in our TOS, and if it is confusing to you then please take the time to read it; Terms of Service

Thank you for taking the time to read this. We hope that you will find Scubaboard to be as great as experience as we have. We look forward to seeing you in the forum. Have a great night.

Northeastwrecks:
But its not. SB is under the control of NetDoc and the mods in the same manner that my property is under my control. If its on my property, I decide whether something stays or goes. That would apply even if my neighbor put it there (entirely theoretical, since I've got nice neighbors who also take out their trash).

If its on SB, its entirely appropriate for the mods to decide what stays and what should be discarded.

I considered that when I replied. You are right, to a point. But as a visitor, I leave my coat at your house while I am there. Because you don't like it, you throw it out?

Another poor analogy of course. My real concern centers on the word 'control'. I like the fact that this is a fairly open board where many opinions are thrown around. Of course that has to be limited to an extent. Dishonesty, disinformation, vulgarity and such. But I keep thinking of the old Spiderman phrase about power and responsibility. Those in power should be careful of how they exercise that power because it strongly effects the way others percieve them. Especially when no explanation is included with the act.

I was taught that the one arbitrating a dispute should be separate from it. All those who run/moderate this board also are involved in it as users, posting opinions as they wish. This cannot make it any easier to make unbiased descisions.

Just my nickel.

I just like reading these posts to see how fast they propagate. If the scuba board was an organism this thread would be a blood-borne bacterial infection. It's just so FASCINATING!! Come on!! Let's get it up to five pages before midnight!! Say no to antibiotics!!

archman:
I just like reading these posts to see how fast they propagate. If the scuba board was an organism this thread would be a virus. It's just so FASCINATING!! Come on!! Let's get it up to five pages before midnight!!

More of a catalytic reaction possibly.

I was taught that the one arbitrating a dispute should be separate from it. All those who run/moderate this board also are involved in it as users, posting opinions as they wish. This cannot make it any easier to make unbiased descisions.
While we try to adhere to this rule as much as possible, as the owner I sometimes have to cross the line. I do try and make those unbiased decisions, but being human I am terribly flawed by the error of my logic and even my ego.

It has been suggested that I simply do not want agencies or instructors in general to be bashed. If that were the case, Walter and MikeFerrara would have been gone long ago. There would have been others too. I am sure that given enough time, one could come up with a host of nefarious motivations that I may possibly have for this course of action. Of course, they can also just take me at my word.

NetDoc:
While we try to adhere to this rule as much as possible, as the owner I sometimes have to cross the line. I do try and make those unbiased decisions, but being human I am terribly flawed by the error of my logic and even my ego.

Well, in a perfect world... but we all know that this isn't a perfect world, so we do the best we can and life goes on. It is good sometimes though to be reminded that we are only human, just so that we don't get too full of ourselves. :D

NetDoc:
No matter what your feelings are toward Genesis, you do not have the right to abuse him. You can be sharply critical of any of his theories as long as you stop short of being abusive. Of all the people on this board, I have been the brunt of his harshest criticism, and yet I do not feel the need to celebrate that he "might be gone" or that he has been censored. I honestly do not bear any ill will towards the man.

I actually appreciate Genesis and his points of view, his enthusiasm, even though I disagree with the harshness of his approach.

Netdoc: If folks were abusing Genesis (I didn't see it, but can see it happening, on occasion) were the new "time out" procedures used for those offenders?

Just curious...

jonnythan:
Nice sig line, N2Hndy.

I mean, H2Andy. My name isn't johhythan :wink:

ah.... well....

:54:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom