Disturbing trend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really bothers me. I simply assumed that the threads that disappeared had something to do with the board going down.

While I understand the need to limit our freedoms for the greater good of the group, this seems a bit heavy handed. Genesis's behavior may have been unpleasant, but the reaction to his behavior seems to be worse.

Hantzu

Facts:

1. Genesis, in his posts, established himself as one well versed in the concept of legal liability.

2. NetDoc assets he may have liability if "far out" opinions (my quotes) are voiced frequently and vociferously (ok, yes, I did lookup the spelling first, but wanted so much to use that word in a sentence).

So ...

Who judges "far out"? If I were in NetDoc's shoes, my lawyer would determine it :frown2: .

FWIW ... I hope everyone, including Genesis, stays and feels "substantially free" to speak their mind.

glbirch:
I was taught that the one arbitrating a dispute should be separate from it. All those who run/moderate this board also are involved in it as users, posting opinions as they wish. This cannot make it any easier to make unbiased descisions.

i don't want to speak for anyone, but we have discussed this
issue many times. all of the Moderators, as far as i know,
started as users. i don't think it is fair to ask someone
to volunteer to work on the board and then ask him or her
not to participate. you would be surprise at the amount of
work the other Mods and higher do (not me... i just flame
people).

that said, yes, you have a point... we are trying a number of things to prevent Mods engaged in a discussion from excercising authority within that discussion.

hantzu701:
While I understand the need to limit our freedoms for the greater good of the group, this seems a bit heavy handed. Genesis's behavior may have been unpleasant, but the reaction to his behavior seems to be worse.

Hantzu

i belive that you are not well informed on this subject. i don't
blame you, because it is hard to be informed when the basis
for forming that opinion are gone (i.e. the thread is pulled).

however, the thread at issue was pulled because Genesis
was being called names by other users and this is simply
not acceptable.

Time outs or tamp bans are not our first resort. We actually try to reason with the user first. Some things do merit an immediate temp or perm ban, but we felt that none of these users deserved such harsh measures. Of course, if reasoning fails, then we have no other alternative then to initiate a ban of the user. The letter I sent Karl and that he promptly published, was such an attempt to help him understand what we feel is not appropriate on our board. That he has honored our request only shows that these interactions without banning have some merit. While this letter was far more blunt than most that are sent, you can be assured that we try as much as humanly possible to work out issues without resorting to bannings.

H2Andy:
i don't want to speak for anyone, but we have discussed this
issue many times. all of the Moderators, as far as i know,
started as users. i don't think it is fair to ask someone
to volunteer to work on the board and then ask him or her
not to participate. you would be surprise at the amount of
work the other Mods and higher do (not me... i just flame
people).

that said, yes, you have a point... we are trying a number of things to prevent Mods engaged in a discussion from excercising authority within that discussion.

Don't get me wrong. I, were I to be elevated to the hallowed halls of moderatordom, would not want to be restricted from joining in the various discussions on this board. I'm only human. (Or so my wife keeps reminding me.) My comment is merely that being in the dual position of user and controller, you walk a difficult line that requires care and attention to avoid straying too far in either direction.

OK, way too serious. I have to go and post something frivolous and off the wall.

H2Andy:
i belive that you are not well informed on this subject. i don't
blame you, because it is hard to be informed when the basis
for forming that opinion are gone (i.e. the thread is pulled).

however, the thread at issue was pulled because Genesis
was being called names by other users and this is simply
not acceptable.

I did not see the thread in which Genesis was getting hammered.

Hence the problem with pulling threads without explanation. At least in edits by moderators, there is a line or two explaining why something was altered or removed.

Hantzu

NetDoc:
... you can be assured that we try as much as humanly possible to work out issues without resorting to bannings.

BUT, for those of you who HAVE BEEN BANNED,

goto www.xscubaboard.com for your complementary T-shirt

Banned from ScubaBoard​
...​
:bfish: Somthin's Fishy :bfish:​

Remeber, the ink on this special T-shirt is invisible underwater ensuring no SB members will see your post. ENJOY!

Did Genesis report the offending posts? Did anybody ask him if he was in the least bit bothered by them?

He always seems quite capable of looking after himself to me

Being one of the people who was a little sickened at the thread against Genesis...I would like to add that

a) I don't agree with everything that he says
b) Some of the things he's says has merit, or at the least should be considered

and

c) People should not learn to dive on the internet.

And the shots from the cheap seats were uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom