Dive Boat Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
If divers were taught how to rinse their masks when they learned to dive, boat crews wouldn't have to explain. Actually, the problem is so massive at this point, I can't imagine it ever getting fixed. I either rinse my mask in the ocean after we stop or I enter with my mask in my hand, then rinse and don as I descend. It's not a big deal, it's easy to work around, it's just amazing that such a large % of divers don't think about their actions.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with the rinse bucket and some defog being in it, as for that The boat I DM on keeps two or more buckets available.

sjspeck:
That's because if something goes wrong with the head, the crew has to clean it...

Perhaps, but on our boat if you clog the head we make you an honorary crew member!

:D

Scuba Brad:
Not to long ago I heard a story from a friend that occured on a dive trip. It seemed they had a rather anxious Captain who wanted to get the divers in and out and himself back to the bar. On this occation two of the divers stepped off the dive boat at the prompting of the captain, directly onto another diver.......causing some uncomfortable moments and some colorful use of the english language.

Now I'm the first one to admit that as divers we are really responsible for our own actions, however, you would hope that as a responsible Dive Master / Captain that the divers safety always comes first. Evidently it didn't in this case.

What thoughts to you have on Dive Boat Etiquette........what to do and what not to do on Dive Boats? Give us some great examples of both.

Happy Diving

A drunk'n Captain. Was his name Morgan?

Ok am I mistaken or have I read not to over rinse your mask after defogging? Does that imply that a minute amount of the defogging agent should still remain? An invisible layer if you will. Or if it is just a matter of cleaning your mask so it dosen't fog wouldn't it then be called mask cleaner not mask defogger? So if the former is true how would a highly diluted form of defog in the bucket hurt????

It seems as though the mask rinse bucket is quite the issue with alot of people. I don't really pay attention during dives (cause I'm in the water, lol)...but do DM's usually dump the water between dives and refill?? If they don't, perhaps they should..it's usually just a 5 gallon bucket that would take all of about a minute to dump and refill. The DM's are working their butts off getting you in the water and getting you out...but while everyone's in, they have ample time to take care of the these minor details that seem to ruffle everyone's feathers.... or perhaps put out two buckets if space permits...instructing that one is for clean rinse only..not defogger etc.... I've never had issue with rinse buckets and probably never will.... it's just not a concern of mine. But alot of you do, and if it sets your mind a little easier, address it the next time you are out on your local boat. Perhaps the DM will take into consideration what you are saying and figure something out for yours and everyone elses benefit..:wink:

One thing that did irk me a little was when a diver jumped into the hot tub (PEACE dive boat) with his full wet suit on after the last dive. Common sense tells you not to do this...but if you missed common sense class...it was briefed in the beginning of the day not to get in the hot tub with anything other than your bathing suit....

I had to tell him to kindly get his rear end out...(which was probably full of pee from the previous dive) lol...and needless to say, not many other people got in the tub after he did...:shakehead

catherine96821:
...When the captain is docking the boat, stay out of his line of vision and settle down a bit.

Quite right...especially if the Captain suggests you sit below deck during tough docking operations. ;-)

treacherous, undersail, backward tilling dock jobs?

Those require extra reverance.

Rinse buckets are a sacred cow I guess. I prefer to stay out of that protazoa ridden broth myself. Just leave me to the spit and sea water method, being the self sufficient girl that I am. I think de-fog is a big scam myself. But I do like my own camera bucket.....

Oh, and I really think not having a SMB is rude cause we all have to find your sorry bobbin noggin out there and it makes us run late for dinner when the swells are big.

Walter:
Perhaps you misread the question?

I didn't misread it Walter. Advice on "to rinse or not rinse a mask" is a pretty big stretch as being relative to Dive Boat Etiquette.

... but then a lot of people have followed your lead so oh well.

New diver on a crowded dive boat?

Not familar with your gear?

Why not set it up and check it beforehand - instead of conducting a torturous 20-minute long buddy check of everything on you, your buddy and the boat while blocking the dive platform as the queue of other divers stand sweating behind you?

If other divers attempt to get in the water waiting alluringly behind you then why not allow them to pass rather than curse how rude they are as you fiddle with your spare air for 100th time and ask your buddy if you have missed anything else that was on the training video you watched?

Just a thought....

Ah, I feel so much better now.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Ohhhh, and -

Doing your first drift dive?

Want a tip?

Why not stay with the group or at least surface with an SMB at the appointed time rather than spending all day underwater. That way you may have a boat near you when you eventually surface.

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom