Dive Boat Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that some people have said we should consider the mask rinsing beaten to death, but I've got to ask the following because I'm lost and this thread seems like the place to ask since I've never heard this mentioned before.

How are you suggesting masks SHOULD be rinsed?

I don't use defog all that often (spit works fine) but I apply some every so often to the backup mask that stays in my pocket.

I rub some around the mask, and then swish it around in the bucket that's been indicated as being for mask rinsing.

It sounds like a bunch of people here are saying that's wrong, but I just can't discern from what's been posted what they're saying should be done instead.

I hate feeling dense, and/or rude, and I'm not sure whether I should be feeling one, both or neither.

Thanks.

Did water from the bucket, then rinse you mask with it and dump it from your mask on the deck. Don't put defog/soap in the bucket.

RonFrank:
I joined the 2 mile club on Conch Reef (well I think we were more like .5 miles when we surfaced). Both my buddy and myself had Safety Sausages, and the Captain was VERY happy that we had them, and used them. He saw us the second we surfaced.

If memory serves, 4 of you were way down current when we reached you. The problem was you followed the directions we were given during the briefing - go to the wall and turn left. We went to the wall and turned into the current which happened to be right (it's usually right on Conch).

Neophyte, what you're doing is probably fine. It does add up, tho - with everyone's Defog getting rinsed in the bucket, it does get fouled to an extent, plus some boats add cheap shampoo to their buckets. Really, I'm more put off by the predive spit and post dive snot that goes into the rinise bucket, onto masks, onto faces.

I use a defog that is added to a dry mask, allowed to dry, then rinsed. I'll just pour some water into it then pour that overboard. It'd probably be fine to pour it on the deck, but I don't.

Walter:
If memory serves, 4 of you were way down current when we reached you. The problem was you followed the directions we were given during the briefing - go to the wall and turn left. We went to the wall and turned into the current which happened to be right (it's usually right on Conch).

Well, maybe we did follow instructions, we certainly intended to! :D One mistake we made was I *intended* to stay with the group of Conchs that knew the site! But with both of us having camera's, and the vis being maybe 40', we quickly seperated from the herd!

Conch Wall is one of my favorite dives. Lovely, just beautiful even if a lot deeper than the no stress shallow reef dives. We drifted it again the next day, and that was easier. That is one huge reef!

Biggest pet peeve as a charter guy is "Gear all over the deck" Very discourteous to other divers not to mention a danger!!!!! Special needs always accomadated but inconsiderate individuals never tolerated.

mnj1233:
Biggest pet peeve as a charter guy is "Gear all over the deck" Very discourteous to other divers not to mention a danger!!!!! Special needs always accomadated but inconsiderate individuals never tolerated.

Quite right: "NO YARD SALE" please!

As for being in a hurry to get back to the bar, just bring a six pack (of beer) for the captain and there will be no hurry to get back to the dock. JK:eyebrow:

Here's a suggestion to the DMs and Captains, use a water hose off the side of the boat. There is no bucket and you can reach it when entering or whenever you need it.

eod.

Back
Top Bottom