Dive Co that accomodates Cruisers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toadie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey there,

I'm coming into Roatan on February 3rd and I'm looking to do some off cruise diving. Something a little more private and hopefully a lot more exciting. Can anyone recommend a shop for me to contact that's reputable? I'm assuming there's one dock but I've never been there before :idk:

Most cruise ships can arrange for dive opportunities with a local dive shop. You can check ahead of time for this option with your cruise line.
Unfortunately, these dives are more expensive than if you arranged dives yourself. These dives arranged through the ship, are at the ship's port times, and some dive shops may not accomodate your times if they are off a bit from what they normally have.

Something a little more private and hopefully a lot more exciting.

This is the most often asked question about Roatan, there's a ton of info avail in this forum as well as the cruise ship forum.

Lots of good shops to select from.

No island, no dive op, not anywhere, will treat you any differently than any other fresh-of-the-boat day dive op visitor. Period. You are an unknown, unfortunately you will be treated as such. Anybody that says they will is pulling your leg or running a loose operation.

Go, have fun. If you want a dive vacation, spend a week at various islands. By the second or third day, you'll gain the confidence of the dive operator and they will take you to the "more exciting" places.

Anthony's Key Resort has a contract with virtually ALL of the cruise lines for dive services on Roatan. If you book through the ship, you will be diving with them.

It's a quality dive operation and they do a great job providing you with a unique dive opportunity.

If you want to strike out on your own, I'm sure there are many shops on the island that would be happy to accomodate you...

I have seen at least one dive operator in West End charge cruise ship passengers more than their usual rates, and these customers booked directly. The few times that I worked diving into a cruise vacation, it was not very satisfying. If you want to do real diving, take a real dive trip. Stay at a diving all inclusive or go on a live aboard.

Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware). MOST of the independent dive shops in the West End have their dive package prices posted on their websites. If you're booking with one of them, make sure you compare what you're quoted with what their site says. If there's a discrepancy, ask why.

Check us out at roatanwestendtours.com Suenoe del Mar will accomoadate any Cruiseshiiper based on their itinerary. We provide transportation from and to the ship. Contact us and let us know what types of dives you enjoy and what Ship you are on and we will customize your day on Roatan

If a dive shop organises pick-ups from the dock and changes the time of their dives to fit in with ship times I think you should expect to pay a little more than if you just walk in off the street and go out on a fixed time dive.

We accommodate cruise ship divers. We charge the same that we would charge for anyone walking into the shop, only doing 2 dives. Most divers coming for a week of diving pay less because we do 5 and 10 dive packages. We also will change the time of our dives to fit in with cruise ship passengers.

Be very conscious of how long you'll be in port and what the dive charter requires for time, accounting for travel time, check-in, debarkation, embarkation, fudge factor, etc. If your port time is limited at all (less than 8 hours) you might be better off booking through the cruise lines to be guaranteed you'll get back to the ship before sailing. Keep in mind the ship will wait for one of their own excursions that is delayed, but won't wait for individual passengers who aren't on board at sailing.

We've watched people running for the ship and missing it on two different cruises we've done, so it happens quite frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom