Dive Computer Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2) I like my computer more on the forearm, couldn't really do this with the "watch-style" band

I don't know the Puck well enough to know if this would work, but for my computers with watch-style bands, I replaced the bands on both with long NATO-style watch bands. This one:

NITROX-17

That one is long enough to go around my forearm even when I'm wearing a drysuit with my cold water undergarments on.

Hosed so you don't have to worry about forgetting to bring or put on your dive computer. It's permanently connected to your regulator.

Which might be good ... unless you're a newer diver that is ever renting regs instead of owning and always using your own.

You do realize that you could have bought an AI computer in the first place, even though you don't own your own BCD and regs?

You can also spend a nice chunk of change on building yourself a nuke-proof concrete bunker because eventually the civilization will end and you may want to survive that. that at least might get you on TV.

....Which might be good ... unless you're a newer diver that is ever renting regs instead of owning and always using your own.

True. My recommendation is your own regulator should be 1 of the first items to buy. Due to lost luggage and being forced to rent everything on 2 separate trips, the 1 piece of equipment I missed most was my own regulator set.

The hose lengths, hose routing, mouthpiece, breathing quality, maintenance, cleanliness, etc.. All were severely lacking.

...Hosed so you don't have to worry about wireless syncing. Hosed so you don't have to worry about forgetting to bring or put on your dive computer. It's permanently connected to your regulator...

Syncing is not an issue with the many computers using the Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitters, as the transmitter is linked by entering the unique serial number into the computer. See Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands? I can't comment on any of the other transmitters available, as I have no experience with them.

The hosed AI is permanently connected unless you have a quick disconnect, which I think is a good idea to protect the computer and to facilitate transport of just the computer

Syncing is not an issue with the many computers using the Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitters, as the transmitter is linked by entering the unique serial number into the computer. See Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands? I can't comment on any of the other transmitters available, as I have no experience with them.

The hosed AI is permanently connected unless you have a quick disconnect, which I think is a good idea to protect the computer and to facilitate transport of just the computer

All good points. Was just thinking for a new diver, less complicated, less things to do, less separate items, is usually better. Just my opinion. It is good to have options, weigh the pluses and minus to determine what fits our individual needs/wants.

The Hollis/DGX DGO3 at $200 is useful. I have, use, and like it. As a simple dive comp I think it is great. If puck is the cheapest at $150, I am happy with $200 for DGO3, though it was $350 when I got mine.

Pro: Nitrox 0-100, Gauge mode, backlit, tells you deco stops at time of stop (but not a list of them..), 3x air integration, automatic altitude modes, conservative mode if you want (pretends to be at 2000’), user replaceable battery. Gauge mode is useful for tech if you want that later or to sell used to those that do. I did switch to a bungie mount.

Con: Backlight only when push button, a bit hard for me to read in low vis with out backlight on, $100 cable to download (I do without), no gradient factor, set to 100% FG, does not provide Perdix AI level features.

I do not know the Geo. I would put DGO3 in the list to look at. I do not know the other simple dive comp options.

I started out with the Mares Puck. I think I got it for less than $200 off Amazon. Granted it's not the Puck Pro, but I think I can give you what I did and what I didn't like about the Puck which probably translate to the Puck Pro.

Dislikes
1) I couldn't find a bungee mount adapter for the computer
2) I like my computer more on the forearm, couldn't really do this with the "watch-style" band
3) The one-button became a total pain in the butt, especially when working in the dive log section (this really annoyed the crap out of me)
4) I had to replace the battery one time, and the plastic cover was too soft and it got messed up trying to get the cover off. Had to buy a new cover too.
5) In low viz you have to hit the button to get the backlight on (not a huge deal, but an annoyance)
6) Requires a Mares cable to get data, they are expensive, although there are threads on how to make your own
We are all individual and have different requirement from anything. As far as I am concern all the listed dislike would never bother me especially the last one(I never need down load cable).
So if my ageing Uwatec Aladin eventually expire, Mares Puck Pro would be in my considering list.

Cheers.

I just went through this process and found the advice on Scubaboard very helpful, though I just lurked. My own conclusion was to select a first dive computer based on price, algorithm, brand, and reviews. My own budget was at the bottom end and I ended up paying $200. There are several nice dive computers at the $200 level, and more if you go another $50 or so and find sales. I rejected any RGBM algorithm brands because I very much want to actively control my own level of conservative-ness during my dive. A more liberal algorithm is more comfortable for me. However, that is an individual decision.

I eventually settled on deciding between the cheapest Oceanic (Geo, I believe) and the Hollis/DGX DGO3. They both are reliable, air/nitrox, non-RGBM, the Oceanic has dual algorithms, and the Hollis/DGX DGO3 offers the option of integrated air. (Regarding the air, I suspect that by the time I am ready to pony up for regs and integrated air I will also be ready to purchase a new computer, perhaps one for future deco dives or even just one with color. Of course, that is me.)

At this point I diverge from good sense because I saw an Aeris CompuMask for $200 at Scuba.com and got one, mostly because it seemed like the best thing like sliced bread when it came out like 10 years ago and I really wanted it. :) I have yet to dive with it so I have no meaningful opinion. If I don't end up liking it - or if it is as fragile as some people say - I will probably get a Deep6 when they come out - excellent value there if the product lives up to all the hype.

Good luck with your search.

Recently bought an entire kit and at that time I wanted a complete set up that would carry me through several years of diving / skill development without further investment. (Obviously maintenance will always be a cost). My LDS made some great recommendations andmit took me 3-4 trips to settle on an entire kit that fit me physically and fit the diving I felt I wanted to do. It also gave them a chance to get to know me and with skillfully probing questions they were able to get me set up to what I think is the right level. We looked at a few computers and I did some research as well. Finally I decided on the Shearwater - Perdix AI. It was not inexpensive but as the one piece of equipment that I count on to "think" for me (not that we can stop thinking - ever - the responsibilitymisnours. It is just one tool) I felt I wanted one that was beyond my current needs. It works great. Good visibility in all conditions. Easy to use and the support from Shearwatet has been awesome.
Very happy with it and if you can budget for it I would highly recommend it.

I have a Mares Puck (not Puck PRO) that I used for recreational diving and now in gauge mode for technical diving. I think I got it for $175 originally.

If I were going to buy another recreational-only computer I'd get it again or get a DGX DG03 DG03 w/FREE Dry Box

The only other computer I'd consider would be a Shearwater Petrel/Perdix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom