Dive computer and PC interface for 300 - 350 dollars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turko

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys. I need some help choosing a Dive Computer. I'm doing my checkout this weekend, so I know I should wait a while before buying a computer, but since my brother is in the USA and in Brazil a computer would cost more then double, I don't want to waste the opportunity, and worse case scenario I can easily sell it for the same price i bought it...

So I've done a lot of reading, and decided on a few things already:

- Suunto doesn't have any authorized assistance in my city, so I won't get the Zoop
- DeepBlu Cosmiq looks pretty cool, but I hate the proprietary software thing, so no...
- I need a computer that allows me to change the battery safely (the assistance thing in Brazil...) and having a sealed battery compartment is a plus)
- I want a computer that can turn into my backup one as I advance on the diving thing

So, my options:

Cressi Giotto + PC interface: U$ 320,00
- I would just get a Leonardo, but I would pay a little more for the better interface.
Mares Puck Plus Pro + PC Interface: U$ 225,00
- I saw a lot of people saying the one button thing is a PITA, does it really bothers you that much?
Mares Nemo Wide + PC Interface: U$ 250,00
- I read some bad reviews about it here, things like it broke with a few uses...

If you have any other computers to suggest, please do.

Hey guys. I need some help choosing a Dive Computer. I'm doing my checkout this weekend, so I know I should wait a while before buying a computer, but since my brother is in the USA and in Brazil a computer would cost more then double, I don't want to waste the opportunity, and worse case scenario I can easily sell it for the same price i bought it...

So I've done a lot of reading, and decided on a few things already:

- Suunto doesn't have any authorized assistance in my city, so I won't get the Zoop
- DeepBlu Cosmiq looks pretty cool, but I hate the proprietary software thing, so no...
- I need a computer that allows me to change the battery safely (the assistance thing in Brazil...) and having a sealed battery compartment is a plus)
- I want a computer that can turn into my backup one as I advance on the diving thing

So, my options:

Cressi Giotto + PC interface: U$ 320,00
- I would just get a Leonardo, but I would pay a little more for the better interface.
Mares Puck Plus Pro + PC Interface: U$ 225,00
- I saw a lot of people saying the one button thing is a PITA, does it really bothers you that much?
Mares Nemo Wide + PC Interface: U$ 250,00
- I read some bad reviews about it here, things like it broke with a few uses...

If you have any other computers to suggest, please do.
please send me a pm

Forget anything Cressi especially regulators and dive computers. Forget the Mares computer too. Look at Oceanic VEO 2.0, it is the best entry level computer out there with features others don't have and reasonable prices.

The computer and PC interface would cost 400 dollars, a little bit too much for me.

1 button on the leonardo does not bother me, but I only dive air. So the only reason to press it is to change the timezone at the start of a trip -- if I'm in a different timezone. I would not buy a giotto because I'm OK without its 3 buttons and I don't believe the rest of its features are actually useful, so to me all they are is a waste of money. There is a couple of things about the leonardo I don't like, one being algorithm depth of 40m with no indication of what'll happen if you dip to 41m for a sec, but I'm not too worried about that at this stage.

Last I looked Puck came with the cheapest interface kit: $50 vs. practically everybody else's $100.

I know nothing about Nemo wide, but it definitely beats giotto on features + price.

Overall, I'd say Puck Pro unless you want to go for Nemo's bigger screen.

Good call on the Zoop - besides the obvious issue they start conservative and can only be set more conservative.

If you could go $400....:eek: (including d/l cable) - this could possibly be your 2nd computer. It sort of depends on what Mares releases in future s/w upgrades for it.

Mares Quad Wrist Computer
Capture.JPG

I ended up buying Giotto was easy to read diving. I choose the Giotto because
Was on special packaged with the interface.
I'm pretty sure a one button interface would cause my dive computer to fail when it hits a wall at speed because the interface pissed me off.
Back light (I don't think the Leonardo has one).
Nitrox.
Gauge mode as back up for latter.
User changeable battery.
It does have a few extra features like gas switching but I'm pretty sure I will have upgraded to a Shearwater by then.

Honestly I would probably advise the Deepblu.. I know you ruled it out, but until you try one I wouldn't knock it.. It is much easier making all your dive setting from a smart phone instead of having to use two push buttons to configure everything. The screen is bright, the battery rechargeable, the interface simple.

Beyond that, I will say our brand (Deep 6) is coming out with a simple one gas nitrox backlit dive computer for $139 (sync cable will be about $20), but we still have a few more things to finish before our final prototypes are available for testing. So that definitely won't be available in your timeframe.

I will say our brand (Deep 6) is coming out with a simple one gas nitrox backlit dive computer for $139 (sync cable will be about $20), but we still have a few more things to finish before our final prototypes are available for testing. So that definitely won't be available in your timeframe.
I am thinking about Christmas present for myself this year!
Cheers.

Honestly I would probably advise the Deepblu.. I know you ruled it out, but until you try one I wouldn't knock it.. It is much easier making all your dive setting from a smart phone instead of having to use two push buttons to configure everything. The screen is bright, the battery rechargeable, the interface simple.

Beyond that, I will say our brand (Deep 6) is coming out with a simple one gas nitrox backlit dive computer for $139 (sync cable will be about $20), but we still have a few more things to finish before our final prototypes are available for testing. So that definitely won't be available in your timeframe.
I've read some posts about the Deep6. Is there any chances it will be out until the first week of March?

I also got a deal only showing only in my computer for the Mares Quad for 250 dollars on leisure pro. Looks like the best choice so far.

Back
Top Bottom