Dive computer for 0 vis murky waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello guys, I'm currently using a cressi leonardo dive computer. It is unreadable when diving in murky waters. I was wondering what computers are considered standard or suitable for diving in 0 vis?

With kind regards,

Joris

Proper 0 viz I use a surface tender or plan the dive based on the bottom contour and set an audible alarm. Pretty much any backlit dive computer works pressed right against the mask in ~1 inch viz. It takes special waters to be true 0 viz and nothing visually helps in that case.

Cameron

Hello guys, I'm currently using a cressi leonardo dive computer. It is unreadable when diving in murky waters. I was wondering what computers are considered standard or suitable for diving in 0 vis?

Thousand-dollar ones.

You'll want something with high an LED display that provides high contrast between the information and the background. The days of hitting the back-lighting button on dive computers approach their end. Not sure my aging eyes could focus on any dive computer display, if I held it .5 inches away from my mask.

For bright and legible, Shearwater are hard to beat. that being said, any computer pressed up against your mask is going to be a challenge, I really battle to focus.

About the only real solution is a HUD type computer, the oceanic datamask was one of them, they are discontinued but do come up from time to time, a Shearwater NERD would be the next best thing but it's really not cheap for an occasional problem.

This is an interesting idea, not sure where it is in the production cycle:

Unless you are 14 years old and can still focus on the end of your nose, you can't read anything in zero viz. Because if you can focus on the end of your nose, you can also read your computer when it's pressed against your mask. But if I can see my Shearwaters at all, I can read them.

Why would you be diving in zero vis unless someone is paying you? True zero vis for a short time is fine if you can swim away from it. It is a non-issue in commercial diving since we are surface or bell-supplied and decompression is managed by topside supervisors.

Back
Top Bottom