Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Worked at two dive shops over the years; Dealt with almost every manufacturer. Returned at least 500 computers for repair/replacement. Majority were Suunto. No company has come even close to the excellent level of service provided by Shearwater. None have been worse than Suunto. Mixed bag for the others. Remarkable how loyal some users are to their oil-filled beasts.

I don't work in the industry, so I only have a users experience.
Were the Suunto's ever oil filled? I guess the Solution or the Companion, could have been. I don't believe any of the models I have had were, they all had user replaceable batteries. My first computer was an EON (1990's), which was air integrated which was a real pain in the ass. Then the Vyper, then a Vytec. Now I have an OSTC, a Zoop, and an AP CCR 2020 controller.

I agree with you over customer service being appalling in the USA. Professionally, we try to avoid using support in the USA if we can, we ship kit back to the UK or Europe rather than use the local service support. I don't have much experience with Canadian companies so can't comment.
Shearwater have a good product reputation, but I don't have personal experience.

Yeah I saw this video and I was thinking wow his battery change is major pain.
Yep, that’s a pain. I’ll pass. I’m not afraid of soldering electronics, I’d just rather not do it if it can be avoided. Definitely not something you want to do on vacation. I can change the batteries on my Perdix, and my daughters’ Oceanics on the boat if I needed to.

Clearly Centrals loves his 23 year old dive computer as much as he loves arguing. For some reason he seems to be targeting Shearwater owners. I think it's time for him to go to bed.

You are comparing apple and orange!!!!
There is NO redundancy for tank in any car! Are you aware of that?
Actually I used a Nissan Patrol, which had two separate Diesel fuel tanks.
Very useful when doing a cross-country trip in the Australian bush...

I am talking about the essential information given by the computer. The display etc etc has nothing to do with it.
The display has ALL to do with the info given by the computer!
If the display is too small or too bad (or too close, as when wrist mounted, in my case), I cannot read the info!

In central’s defense his computer is serving him well and hopefully will continue to for many more years. I continue to like the features of my Teric, not because it’s a shearwater but for its features that suit me.

Yeah I saw this video and I was thinking wow his battery change is major pain.
I see absolutely no issues doing this on a bumpy boat ride. :bounce:

I see absolutely no issues doing this on a bumpy boat ride. :bounce:

Even on a camel-back on the way back to the tent.

You mentioned 50%.
The presence of Shearwater among all active divers(400,000) in your country is never anywhere near that number. It might be in your local boat/group but does it applies to the whole nation?

It’s not only in Australia. I’m now diving in Maldives, Carpe Vita Real Time Review: March 7-18, 2021 Trip to Maldives Deep South. I counted 9 out of 17 divers are using Shearwater DC. Out of 9 Shearwater DC, 6 of them are Teric.

It’s a result of a good product. People talk about. I complained to @Cert1967 about my way over conservative SUUNTO D4 when we were in Socorro, a couple months ago. He showed me how easy to set the conservatism of his DC (Teric), how much clear the color graphic display, etc. I was hooked to Teric instantly and bought one as soon as I got home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom