Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s not only in Australia. I’m now on Carpe Vita, Maldives. I counted 9 out of 17 divers are using Shearwater DC. Out of 9 Shearwater DC, 6 of them are Teric.
I am sure it was not a "brag" ,for me it was just an observation on one boat trip in my little corner of the dive scene here , and assume ATJ in Sydney observed about the same with the divers in his area .
Sounds like a lot of 'cashed up' divers on that trip, 6 out of 9 Teric.

I am sure it was not a "brag" ,for me it was just an observation on one boat trip in my little corner of the dive scene here , and assume ATJ in Sydney observed about the same with the divers in his area .
Sounds like a lot of 'cashed up' divers on that trip, 6 out of 9 Teric.

Fair response. I edited my post accordingly.

Carpe Vita liveaboard trip costs about half of equivalent liveaboard in Raja Ampat. So, there are not a lot of “cash” in that boat. Some of them are repeat customers. I would say a lot of smart divers there, who know great value dive computers to have.

Did not expect this thread to blow up like that.

Thanks to everyone that has provided insights, recommendations and tips on purchasing a dive computer. That said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I've made the decision to go with the Scubapro A1 (which was offered in the package), as I'm only just starting out and don't need the fancy features for the time being. Additionally, it's probably not wise of me to splurge on a fancy computer after having just spent thousands on dive equipment. Like others have said, some advanced divers dive with 2 computers, so I may purchase a better DC in the future when I improve. Highly likely to be a Shearwater - I'm a sucker for colour screens, and seems like they have plenty of satisfied users around the world. That will happen when the "want" becomes a "need".

In the meantime, I'm just gonna set up my BPW when I have the time and start enjoying diving. Have got a dive trip booked which I'm looking forward to.

Once again thank you to the amazing community taking time to reply to my post, and I hope one day I'll have the experience to help others too! :)

Did not expect this thread to blow up like that.

This is very normal around here on SB. It would have been very unusual if it didn't actually.

I've made the decision to go with the Scubapro A1
Congratulations and I wish you lots of happy, enjoyable and safe awesome diving for decades to come!!!

some advanced divers dive with 2 computers, so I may purchase a better DC in the future when I improve.
There is the Scubapro G2 in HUD or wrist, both are awesome and customizable with lots of colors.

Enjoy your equipment and go out diving now and never look back :)

Clearly Centrals loves his 23 year old dive computer as much as he loves arguing. For some reason he seems to be targeting Shearwater owners. I think it's time for him to go to bed.

His choice really. I decided that even though I mostly do recreational diving to get the Shearwater Perdix for several reasons.
I like the display and the fact I can have things setup how I wanted. I wanted a DC that I could adjust GF and other settings. I like the fact I can change the battery easily and the fact I only need to push two large buttons if I want to get into a menu.

My budget was to buy what I wanted not what others think I should spend on my gear. There is a lot of good second hand gear out there as well for those wanting a decent DC. Shearwaters seem to get snapped up very quickly and maintain a good resale value.

Glad the OP got a DC he can use for now. I do not consider the Perdix as a fancy piece of kit but it certainly does what I want for my diving.

Well, to be fair, when DAN added an addendum to their 2016 report, they added one item to the top ten changes (so top eleven) which was "everyone dives a Shearwater" :p:D:rolleyes:

Like others have said, some advanced divers dive with 2 computers, so I may purchase a better DC in the future when I improve

This is a common and sensible way to go. If you enjoy diving and stick with it you will be in a position to choose a computer that best suits you using personal experience. Then your cheap one can be a backup.

I've made the decision to go with the Scubapro A1

Please report back on what you think of the computer once you have tried it. I am considering getting few of this model to use in our school's training equipment in the free and scuba diving courses.

Then your cheap one can be a backup.

"The Scubapro A1 Wrist Dive Computer is great as an entry-level model for recreational divers". [From the Scubapro site],
It is more than that , it is a very good computer, dive and enjoy, it will do the job required .
Edit: I do not think it is cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom