Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive dive dive

And learn and enjoy

This is a common and sensible way to go. If you enjoy diving and stick with it you will be in a position to choose a computer that best suits you using personal experience. Then your cheap one can be a backup.
You generally want the backup to be the same algorithm. In my early diving days I had some Aeris DC and a Cressi Leonardo. Diving some wrecks in Oahu with pushing our NDLs, the naughty alarm of the Leonardo went off. I just left it in the room for a couple days.

You generally want the backup to be the same algorithm. In my early diving days I had some Aeris DC and a Cressi Leonardo. Diving some wrecks in Oahu with pushing our NDLs, the naughty alarm of the Leonardo went off. I just left it in the room for a couple days.

At least very close is good enough. Aeris and Cressi are VERY different indeed.

Put the conservative computer in gauge mode.

"The Scubapro A1 Wrist Dive Computer is great as an entry-level model for recreational divers". [From the Scubapro site],
It is more than that , it is a very good computer, dive and enjoy, it will do the job required .
Edit: I do not think it is cheap.
This is one of my weaknesses in life. When I am spending big money on a Item and say in this case where one is $500 and one is $850 I start going into a mental deep dive loop of features versus price versus resale value etc etc. It becomes agony for me to decide.
My wife on the other hand has no issues at all. She rounds her numbers upwards so $850 becomes $1000 and she says I am not paying double!:) She keeps me grounded when it comes to spending but when it involves diving gear she is only interested in reliability and safety.

Put the conservative computer in gauge mode.
Sure, then you don't have a backup computer.

I've dived backups more liberal than my primary (a Cochran with an Oceanic), I've dived backups that matched perfectly (2 Oceanics) and I have dived computers that match reasonably closely (Oceanic with a Buhlmann at GF high 95) . I currently dive an Oceanic VT3 and a Teric. For no stop dives I dive the more conservative, it varies. For light deco, I clear one or both. Either way, I end my SS or deco stop when I am at a SurfGF in the mid 80s.

Lucky you, happy wife, happy life, :p Robbyg.
I went for the more expensive one as well for all sorts or reasons, not with standing 'reliability and safety', I am a sucker for bright shinny new things , and a colour screen, "shut up and take my money".:daydream:

Axe, meet micrometer.

What about buddies? Guides? Really the difference between computers and algorithms is not so huge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom