Dive Computer vs Bottom Timer vs watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sure, computers can extend your bottom time. so can you by calculating your own
multi-level profile.

you certainly don't need a computer to get more bottom time, but they do increase it
by not restricting you to a max bottom time for a set depth and then up to the surface
(which is how i was taught to dive tables).

and it was often the case for me that i ran out of bottom time long before i ran
out of gas. with my computer, i can come up shallower and have tons of both
bottom time and gas left.

No... your computer doesn't increase your bottom time.

You increase you bottom time because the computer tells you that you can.

I increase my bottom time because my SPG tells me that I can. :D

well...

yeah

:lightbulb

So You were at 122 ft. for 48 mins. hmmmm
So if You have enough Air, You can just stay down below 100 ft. for as long as You like?

No.

But yes.

If you have the proper training in decompresion proceedures and the proper gas(es) for both the dive and the deco (and enough of the gas) then you could stay below 100ft for as long as you like (within reason of course)... so yes.

But no.... that is not what I meant in my post. What I meant is that unless you have the gas to do the dive it doesn't matter what your computer tells you.

BTW... did you look at the profile of the dive we did today? A dive computer did not generated that profile... I made the dive look like that and my Stinger just recorded it.

It looks remarkably similar to other dives in my log... except the numbers are different.

I was being a Smart###..I just didn't want the info being interpreted incorrectly..which is why i did that. I wouldn't want someone to see that info and try it. We all have to remember SCUBA is an inherently dangerous sport when You don't pay attention. Not to mention someone who is looking for info on what to wear at depth, does not need advanced information. Is it friday night? and I have no life. Yes, on shift here.

Yeah, I'm in Cuba...Air is all We have...Air and Caribbean Blue Water..Been checking the DCS Thread..It just puzzles me. I'm in the range of 14 dives a week. From 30 ft to 100 ft. (Base Reg) I have heard of people going to the 220 ft level... :wink: Weekends can be crazy. 4 or 5...But ..Yes, Air is all We have here. We do have a chamber on Sight...Thanks to the Navy...Never seen it used in My Year here..The whole entire dive community is shut down. If one person's in the Chamber..NO DIVING for anyone. Base Regs...

I am always aware of my depth, surroundings and buddies during a dive and my buddies are as well. We do not wake up during the dive. My backup BT is on my buddy(s). There is no need for me to carry additional BTs.

ScubaDadMiami:
The fact that you are seeing two different readings is a reason to contact another team member to see if two out of three meters agree. If nothing else, go by the more conservative gauge.

The point is, you will wake up when your two gauges read differently. With only one, you may or may not notice.

Dan Gibson:
I am always aware of my depth, surroundings and buddies during a dive and my buddies are as well. We do not wake up during the dive. My backup BT is on my buddy(s). There is no need for me to carry additional BTs.

There are those that go by this minimalist belief. It is up to each to decide for him/herself.

Of course, I remain aware of what is going on. However, I think that there is such a very small amount of real estate taken up by a second gauge that there is no downside to having it.

Life is a balance and line drawing, my friend. Go with what works for you. This is where I have decided to draw the line and where I balance between too much and not enough.

Back
Top Bottom