Dive computers if price didn't matter????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you like something that is easy to read, then go OLED -- once you have one of those screens, you will never look back.

I have an X1 and love it, but the new Liquivision computers with the color displays are pretty darned cool, especially if you don't need an algorithm that will do deco/trimix. They are not air-integrated, though.

I would like to get my hands on one of these HUD systems to see how well they work.

Oceanic Data Mask Integrated Nitrox / Air Computer @ Divers-Supply.com

I have one of these. I like it a lot. AI and hoseless.

I have no problems seeing the display, It has 2 buttons and is easy to navigate. I have a BUD for a backup and a SK7 compass on a retractor that works very well for me. I like having both hands free. It also keeps your information right in front of your eyes. The display brightness is adjustable so you can see it well in daylight and turn it down for night dives.

If money was no option, I'd still buy a Suunto Gecko or Zoop.
Large display, I can read it fine, has Nitrox, user replaceable batteries, solid workmanship and is enough of a computer to meet my needs as a diver. I bought my Gecko about 2 years ago. It has 609 OW dives with total dive time of 516hrs and I haven't changed battery yet.

IMO there's no point buying a fancy computer with the thinking that some day, one might use the fancy features. Like all electronic consumer products, diving computers have a lifespan. Many people buy for example 4G cellphones/tablets etc. who never use their capabilities and the thing dies after a few years anyway.

The old saying 'they don't make 'em like they used to' is relevant here.

If you like something that is easy to read, then go OLED -- once you have one of those screens, you will never look back.

I have an X1 and love it, but the new Liquivision computers with the color displays are pretty darned cool, especially if you don't need an algorithm that will do deco/trimix. They are not air-integrated, though.

Actually the Lynx will be Air Integrated, but it's more of a recreational dive computer. Liquivision showed it off at DEMA but the actual release date has been pushed back to fall. I like the fact that it can be put in "Gauge Mode," and will finally have something to replace my Scubapro Bottom Timer with something that can be seen without an aid of a light.

Liquivision : Scuba : Lynx

I will be getting one, once they are release. It will be a good compliment to my Predator for the tec dives :D, and also have a air integrated recreational dive computer.

I Just Picked up the X1 and I love V-planner (so far) and the tap interface, I'm going to be using it for the first time in a few weeks and can't wait to get it out there. I also picked up a Koan for my GF and she loves the display and the Rec, Tec, and Guage mode is perfect. On a normal NDL dive it times your safety stop, gives you visual alarms and all that good stuff a computer does for a Rec diver, along with the additional Tec stuff. I was going to get the Predator but The x1 had me hooked on the tap interface and so far so good.

OTSC 2n

oled, trimix (and air/nitrox, of course), bulhmann and/or gradients factors, highly configurable, excellent battery life (charged by usb).

Thanks everyone for your poignant answers on the computers that was the type of info I was looking for.

Last month I was teaching a cave class at Ginnie Springs. It was really cool because while I was there, I ran into some truly great instructors. Jim Wyatt was there. Bill Bird, Larry Green, Tom Mount, Pete Sotis, Pete McCumber, and a few I'm forgetting were all there. Guess what single computer they were all wearing? Yup, you guessed it, a Shearwater Predator. We can have any computer we want, and we seem to all agree, Predator is where it is at. That's gotta speak volumes.

I initially bought my Suunto Vyper three years ago. Over three hundred dives on it, still on the original battery and going strong. Air, Nitrox, Gauge, multi buttons and downloadable. In fact I use Suunto dive manager on my laptop for my electronic logbook. When I considered tech diving, I looked at what was out there and set my choice on the Shearwater Predator. Depending on the type of dives I do, I may just dive with my Vyper or I will use my Predator with my Vyper in Gauge mode as bottom timer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom