Dive container for car keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't trust an electronic key fob in my drysuit. While leaks are not common, just one is a bad (expensive) day. And I suspect a drysuit leak is far more likely than the other solutions here.
Typical drysuit leaks are caused by wrinkles in latex seals (and the like) or unmaintained valves or small punctures or leaking seams. These indeed tend to make ones undergarments a bit moist but total flooding is not common (unless you mess with a replaceable neck seal and do something stupid). Hence, in most failure modes you end up not with a wetsuit but with a humidsuit. My car keys, at least, have survived 400 drysuit dives - even those unlucky ones where my undersuit got moist.

Sometimes I've forgotten my smartphone in undersuit waist/thigh pocket (the usual location, you know). Forttunately though, it's usually the chest and arms that suffer from possible leaks.

I'm screen saving this post for the future purchase.

Have you noticed the new ScubaBoard Bookmark feature?

It don't take up space in memory and is quick to read.

Typical drysuit leaks are caused by wrinkles in latex seals (and the like) or unmaintained valves or small punctures or leaking seams. These indeed tend to make ones undergarments a bit moist but total flooding is not common (unless you mess with a replaceable neck seal and do something stupid). Hence, in most failure modes you end up not with a wetsuit but with a humidsuit. My car keys, at least, have survived 400 drysuit dives - even those unlucky ones where my undersuit got moist.

Sometimes I've forgotten my smartphone in undersuit waist/thigh pocket (the usual location, you know). Forttunately though, it's usually the chest and arms that suffer from possible leaks.
I'm glad you've been fortunate. I was fortunate to be a member of AAA (automotive club that provides roadside assistance}, so I could call them to help my buddy whose electronic key fob failed after a drysuit flood (I carry a stainless steel duplicate key for my car).

Have you noticed the new ScubaBoard Bookmark feature?
I didn't know about SB's bookmarks. This new software is full of cool features.
Thanks !!

I'm glad you've been fortunate. I was fortunate to be a member of AAA (automotive club that provides roadside assistance}, so I could call them to help my buddy whose electronic key fob failed after a drysuit flood (I carry a stainless steel duplicate key for my car).
#1 Aren't all electonic car keys physical keys that feature an added unlock button, too?
#2 About drysuit flood: get a proper one and learn to use it.

#1 Aren't all electonic car keys physical keys that feature an added unlock button, too?

I have a friends that recently lost a fob (keyless entry/starter ) for their Subaru Outback. The dealer wants $450 to replace it. They bought a replacement on eBay but can't get it programmed correctly.

1655755754397.png

I broke a key on my Sprinter Van. It looks like a large key (no buttons or battery) but has to be programmed. It cost me $150 all together almost 10 years ago. I hate to think what a lost fob on a BMW, Mercedes, or Tesla would cost.

#2 About drysuit flood: get a proper one and learn to use it.

I can't count the number of holes I've punched in drysuits in the last 40 years, and less than half of them were commercial diving. Lobster and wreck diving are really tough on suits.

We wish we had ordered one of these for the caymans, particularly night diving. Think I’ll be getting a matched set while the getting is good. Anyone btw know how to break apart rental keys when they have both the fobs and rental car company tag thing on them? Usually seems like a braided steel cable with a rubber coating, always annoying but even more annoying when I can’t fit them in a canister lol.

I have a friends that recently lost a fob (keyless entry/starter ) for their Subaru Outback. The dealer wants $450 to replace it. They bought a replacement on eBay but can't get it programmed correctly.

I broke a key on my Sprinter Van. It looks like a large key (no buttons or battery) but has to be programmed. It cost me $150 all together almost 10 years ago. I hate to think what a lost fob on a BMW, Mercedes, or Tesla would cost.

I can't count the number of holes I've punched in drysuits in the last 40 years, and less than half of them were commercial diving. Lobster and wreck diving are really tough on suits.
OK. I am old school. If I cannot get physical access to my car (without information technology and cryptography) - or out of it - I'll get a better car. Not every advancement is a good one. I know a decent amount about these issues, but I'd still require a physical bypass.

We wish we had ordered one of these for the caymans, particularly night diving. Think I’ll be getting a matched set while the getting is good. Anyone btw know how to break apart rental keys when they have both the fobs and rental car company tag thing on them? Usually seems like a braided steel cable with a rubber coating, always annoying but even more annoying when I can’t fit them in a canister lol.

I've even gotten two keys sometimes.
Rental Car Key Hack

Basically as long as you return everything they are fine with it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom