Dive destinations near Apo Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haiawata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everybody,

I am planning my Summer trip to Philippines, and have in mind Apo Reef. What other destinations that provide a good dive (I prefer reefs over wrecks, walls, big creatures would be a plus, are not that crowded with tourists, and easy to reach from Apo or Manila anybody could recommend? I mostly know Bohol, Molboal, Dauin, Malapascua but not familiar with areas closer to Manila except for Puerto Galera, which is not my favorite.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks, and Cheers

Haiawata

1. You can't stay on Apo Reef. So there is no such thing as easy reach from Apo Reef unless you have your boat.
2. Only two places(not counting PG) are within easy reach from Manila ie. Anilao and Subic Bay. Since you prefer reef over wrecks then your only option is Anilao.
3. Southern Leyte fit the diving requirement but miles away from Manila.

Thanks, Centrals. I know that I cannot stay on Apo Reef. I found a resort close to the Apo that provides day trips to the reef instead of live a--board, which I am not a fun of. I don't mind travel back and forth between Manila and good diving locations in the area.Thanks for suggesting Anilao, I will look into. I will also look into Southern Leyte, I don't mind hopping islands.

Cheers,

Hi Haiawata,
Which months do you plan to go to Apo Reef? You have a stronger chance of weather disruption from June on wards due to the monsoon, I guess you will be diving with someone around Sablayan in Mindoro? Interested to hear why Puerto Galera is not your favorite place.

Have a nice day sir :)

Thanks, Scandi Divers. June and July are the months I plan this trip. I am aware about moon soon, and I take this is into account. Might happen I change my destination. I am not against Puerto Galera, It does have its beauty. A bit too commercial to my simple taste. Might happen I have not seen the best of PG))

Did you manage to have a look at Big La Laguna? it's about 15 mins walk away from Sabang. It has a beautiful beach and is nice and secluded. Different world compared to Sabang. With regards to Apo Reef it seems like there is more sightings of hammerheads in the colder months of Jan and Feb.

1. You can't stay on Apo Reef. So there is no such thing as easy reach from Apo Reef unless you have your boat.
2. Only two places(not counting PG) are within easy reach from Manila ie. Anilao and Subic Bay. Since you prefer reef over wrecks then your only option is Anilao.
3. Southern Leyte fit the diving requirement but miles away from Manila.

Thanks, Centrals! As I learned, Apo Reef is not dive-able in June-September. I may go to Coron, and a couple other places. Can you briefly tell me what to expect at Anilao, Subic Bay, and Southern Leyte: diving, accommodation, surrounding. I prefer good reef diving with a good crew, not crowded boats, not crowded place, direct access to a beach that I can swim at in mornings. Some entertainment places in a short reach are also desirable. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Scandi Divers! As I learned, Apo Reef is not dive-able in June-September. I may go to Coron, and a couple other places. Can you briefly tell me what to expect at Big La Laguna: diving, accommodation, surrounding. I prefer good reef diving with a good crew, not crowded boats, not crowded place, direct access to a beach that I can swim at in mornings. Some entertainment places in a short reach are also desirable. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Thanks, Centrals! As I learned, Apo Reef is not dive-able in June-September. I may go to Coron, and a couple other places. Can you briefly tell me what to expect at Anilao, Subic Bay, and Southern Leyte: diving, accommodation, surrounding. I prefer good reef diving with a good crew, not crowded boats, not crowded place, direct access to a beach that I can swim at in mornings. Some entertainment places in a short reach are also desirable. Thanks in advance.
Southern Leyte has simpe, clean accommodation right on the water, very fishy colorful reefs with amazing macro and whaleshark between November and May. It is not at all crowded and the boats are also not crowded. It’s seriously good.

Thanks, Scandi Divers! As I learned, Apo Reef is not dive-able in June-September. I may go to Coron, and a couple other places. Can you briefly tell me what to expect at Big La Laguna: diving, accommodation, surrounding. I prefer good reef diving with a good crew, not crowded boats, not crowded place, direct access to a beach that I can swim at in mornings. Some entertainment places in a short reach are also desirable. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Big La Laguna has only 3 dive resorts and the beach is really nice and clean. There is a reef right off the beach which is great for swimming and snorkeling, There are a couple of quiet restaurants in the resorts but you can also walk to Small La Laguna and Sabang in about 15 minutes so you can have a wider range of restaurants. All of the scuba dive sites are maximum 15 minutes boats ride away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom