Dive destinations near Apo Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Centrals! As I learned, Apo Reef is not dive-able in June-September. I may go to Coron, and a couple other places. Can you briefly tell me what to expect at Anilao, Subic Bay, and Southern Leyte: diving, accommodation, surrounding. I prefer good reef diving with a good crew, not crowded boats, not crowded place, direct access to a beach that I can swim at in mornings. Some entertainment places in a short reach are also desirable. Thanks in advance.
Anilao: Macro capital in Philippines and is a MUST if you are into macro. Can be very busy over the weekend if the crowds turn up from Manila! It has the most bizarre pricing structure with some exceptions, you have to pay for the boat and the service of the DM on top of the diving rate! So better ask ahead otherwise you will be shocked with the "extra". Forget about entertainment.
Subic Bay: Good reef is OUT. Entertainment is available but some might find some of them offensive! Diving(wreck) is not the main reason why majority of tourists turn up in Subic so the boat is not crowded
Southern Leyte: The beach is right on the door-step of both resorts(SBR and Peter's) and very CLEAN. Very good reef, definitely not crowded. Entertainment is out of the question! The only issue is getting there.

Southern Leyte has simpe, clean accommodation right on the water, very fishy colorful reefs with amazing macro and whaleshark between November and May. It is not at all crowded and the boats are also not crowded. It’s seriously good.
Thanks, Tippytoes! I will check this out but sounds good! How to get there the easiest? From Manila, from Coron, or from somewhere else? Much appreciate.
Cheers,

Big La Laguna has only 3 dive resorts and the beach is really nice and clean. There is a reef right off the beach which is great for swimming and snorkeling, There are a couple of quiet restaurants in the resorts but you can also walk to Small La Laguna and Sabang in about 15 minutes so you can have a wider range of restaurants. All of the scuba dive sites are maximum 15 minutes boats ride away.
Thanks, Scandi Divers, I definitely will look into!

Anilao: Macro capital in Philippines and is a MUST if you are into macro. Can be very busy over the weekend if the crowds turn up from Manila! It has the most bizarre pricing structure with some exceptions, you have to pay for the boat and the service of the DM on top of the diving rate! So better ask ahead otherwise you will be shocked with the "extra". Forget about entertainment.
Subic Bay: Good reef is OUT. Entertainment is available but some might find some of them offensive! Diving(wreck) is not the main reason why majority of tourists turn up in Subic so the boat is not crowded
Southern Leyte: The beach is right on the door-step of both resorts(SBR and Peter's) and very CLEAN. Very good reef, definitely not crowded. Entertainment is out of the question! The only issue is getting there.

Thanks, Centrals! How to get to Southern Leyte? About the Subic Bay: good reef is OUT, does this mean there is no a good reef? Pity.

Thanks, Tippytoes! I will check this out but sounds good! How to get there the easiest? From Manila, from Coron, or from somewhere else? Much appreciate.
Cheers,

You can get one of numerous daily flights from Manila to Tacloban. The resort will pick you up...it’s a three hour very beautiful drive to Southern Leyte. If you arrive on your international flight into Cebu , which is a lot easier, you can catch one of two daily fast ferries to Southern Leyte ..Maasin is the name of the port I think. From there a minibus drops punters to Sogod Bay , or the Resort will pick you up. This is only 45 minutes or so away. The ferry takes about three hours , its very easy , a clean boat , little cafe , easy..

Enjoy !

You can get one of numerous daily flights from Manila to Tacloban. The resort will pick you up...it’s a three hour very beautiful drive to Southern Leyte. If you arrive on your international flight into Cebu , which is a lot easier, you can catch one of two daily fast ferries to Southern Leyte ..Maasin is the name of the port I think. From there a minibus drops punters to Sogod Bay , or the Resort will pick you up. This is only 45 minutes or so away. The ferry takes about three hours , its very easy , a clean boat , little cafe , easy..

Enjoy !
Thanks again! I will seriously consider the place. I am familiar with Cebu, and the ferry ride sounds pretty convenient! Cheers!

Thanks, Scandi Divers, I definitely will look into!
Hi Scandy Divers. Most likely, this time I will go to Coron and Big La Laguna. I have read good reviews ybout you and will definitely consider. Let's see how we match each other in diving and accommodation.
I plan to get to Manila between mid-June and mid-July, like for about 20-25 days total.i know this is a low season so prices should reflect this. What is an easier itinerary: starting with Coron followed with Big La Laguna, or the other way around?
Accommodation: a decent room for two, with windows towards the beach, or on the beach front, depends the price. One big bed. Guests are not expected but if so, they are allowed to the room.
Diving: nitrox, one hour or so dives (not short ones for 30-40 min). No big groups. I plan to make two dives almost every morning, and maybe a couple of night dives if there is a reason for. In addition to nearby reefs, I want to explore some outer reefs. I remember there were a couple of these when I was diving from Sabang. I will bring my own equipment.
I plan to arrange my flights sometime next week, so I would sure appreciate your reply before then.
Thanks and cheers,

Last edited:
Hi everybody, thanks for your suggestions. I guess I am clear with Big La Laguna.can anybody suggest a good diving operation and accommodation in Coron. Good dive crew, a reasonably priced accommodation on a beach with option to take early morning swims?
Thanks in advance.

I spent most of last June/July around south Cebu. There's the occasional shower but it wasn't a problem diving Apo island from Dauin (Dumaguete).

If you are looking for a very very relaxed place with pristine beaches and less crowd I'd highly recommend Siquijor island. A short ferry ride from Dumaguete. The diving is good. Waters are incredibly calm for swims and it's easy shore diving so you can strap on a tank and walk in any time you want.

And the island is very laid back and quiet with forests, streams, golden beaches and great food spattered across a few restaurants and bars. Similar to the vibe on Lanta or Lipe if you are familiar with Thailand. It's my spot for downtime and alone time.

Scandi has a good point about La Laguna. I've stayed there a few times. Not at Scandi, but at Blue Ribbon Resort. Also a great place with good dive/stay deals. Scandi has a great rep as well. La Laguna is quieter than the main Sabang stretch but only a short walk away if you want the 'night life'.

I usually start off my holiday on the smaller islands/beaches for some peace and quiet and down time and then finish up with a few days in Sabang and then Manila for my city fix :) But to each their own.

I'll be in Cebu side in may/June if you're around and fancy a dive.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom