Dive Flag Laws in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a quick release clip like the type sailors use on safety harnesses that only requires a tug on a lanyard to release because I heard warnings about this happening. After talking to many other divers I was beginning to think it was an "old divers tale" that someone picked up from an old episode of "SeaHunt". One first hand report is enough to convince me that not only can it happen, but has, at least once.

This subject is like the many religions of the world; everyone thinks theirs is the one, yet not one has gotten it 100% correct. No pun intended to anyone.

Bottom line, your preference may not be the other diver's preference and either both, or neither, are wrong. Colin hit it on the head. We are responsible for our own safety. I clip my flag to the scooter ring of my BC's crotch strap and I have the largest stainless steel clip Fill Express sells on it for one reason only; it's easier to reach and unclip it. I also carry a Dive Rite reel, with line that's rated at 15 pounds. If you think how easy a stubborn fish can snap 15 lb test monofilament line, then you have an idea how easy my line will snap if tangled on a boat's prop, notwithstanding that the reel's locking device will more than likely fail if hit is hard enough. Besides, between a flag and a diver, which one is more likely to give way first upon contact?

I keep very minimal slack on the line, at all times, for that purpose. This way if a boater thinks of my flag as a prize he/she will have a hard time picking up the flag from the water before I notice it and pull it back down, and the float is quite likely to get out of the way if it gets brushed by the boat.

Now, if you're talking about the most common rig dive charters prefer (yellow nylon lines with the big cross bone looking handle that you have to unwind and wind like an old rotary dial telephone), I can see how injuries to hands can happen with them.

BTW, I also have a boat size regulation flag on my tow buoy that will very soon be on a longer stick so it will sit higher out of the water.

Rick

Last edited:
It is not urban legend. Wrap or clip that line around you or to you without a break away is asking for an injury or worse. I most assuredly recommend holding the line and using a spool or reel.

Agreed. One of my coworkers likes to dive from his jetski... he had a line tethering the jetski to himself... well, somebody STOLE the jetski while he was under and dragged him along for quite a ways before the line snapped (thankfully). Luckily he was okay, with only minor rope burns. And he managed to get the jetski back, too (amazingly enough). Quite the case for never attaching a line to yourself that way!

Agreed. One of my coworkers likes to dive from his jetski... he had a line tethering the jetski to himself... well, somebody STOLE the jetski while he was under and dragged him along for quite a ways before the line snapped (thankfully). Luckily he was okay, with only minor rope burns. And he managed to get the jetski back, too (amazingly enough). Quite the case for never attaching a line to yourself that way!

Well I can hardly wait to get down there and start diving Florida full time :)

Way more exciting than in Oregon!!!

Al, are you moving to Florida?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom