Dive flag rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A new diver asked about the dive flag rules in Iowa and in the process of finding the rules, I found:
http://www.dive-flag.com/

I have sent in updates for Iowa and Virginia and I asked Chris if it would be okay to put his URL on scubaboard so people could provide him with information on their state. He said okay.

Please provide a link to the state code if you can. This would be a pretty handy resource.

Worth noting that the flag has no legal basis in martime or other laws outside the USA at all where the international "A" flag is used to denote divers down and the laws regarding that.

Show that red/white diagonal thing on a boat here and its entirely meaningless.

Isn't that the DAN flag? Or the Swiss Navy?

String - I just have a vison of that big blow-up leek Max Boyce had as the new SMB...
(That will confuse the yanks).

Chris

String:
Worth noting that the flag has no legal basis in martime or other laws outside the USA at all where the international "A" flag is used to denote divers down and the laws regarding that.

Show that red/white diagonal thing on a boat here and its entirely meaningless.

As near as I can tell, it is meaningless in US federal waters as well. It is also interesting to note that in the US there is no distance specified for a boat to keep from the alfa flag.

The dive flag isnt the only thing the americas goes against international standards - they use the opposite to normal IALA channel markers too effectively meaning the lights are reversed to the rest of the world - confusing to say the least if not expecting it.

As for the leek, i do know one person that has a large size blow up sheep he uses as an SMB. It comes complete with red lipstick coloured lips etc.

Cant post the url for a photo as most sites selling it according to google appear to be "adult" in nature :)

Don Burke:
As near as I can tell, it is meaningless in US federal waters as well. It is also interesting to note that in the US there is no distance specifed for a boat to keep from the alfa flag.

There is no distance internationally either - all it states is "Boat conducting underwater activities" and limited manoeuvering ability as a result.

"close" distance is not defined therefore there is no legal distance.

However it DOES give the skipper of the boat powers to protect his divers which commonly means putting his boat between the divers bubbles and the oncoming vessel if it looks like a direct track. Ive seen (and had to do) this several times.

String:
The dive flag isnt the only thing the americas goes against international standards - they use the opposite to normal IALA channel markers too effectively meaning the lights are reversed to the rest of the world - confusing to say the least if not expecting it.
Red, right, returning _was_ the international standard from 1889 until the League of Nations decided to switch things around in 1936. My guess is it was politics at it's best. :)

In 1980 IALA recognized that no one agrees on anything and designated Regions A & B.

Getting back to the point, every state seems to have it's own idea of what a safe distance for a boat is, what "navigable waters" means, and how close the divers need to be to the flag. That is why such a database is needed.

Its still confusing given most of planet earth use IALA A with the exception of the USA. Youd have thought/hoped that someone could have standardised things by now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom