Dive knife, is it really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you've never used it, how on earth do you keep losing it?

At least one cutting instrument is a key piece of gear, I prefer at least two, maybe three:

- Standard dive knife on waist strap
- Z-knife under wrist computer strap
- Trauma shears in DS pocket

The first knife that I lost was because it got scraped out of the strap when I was checking out some stuff clinging to walls.
The second time was probably when I left it behind on the park bench.
The third time...I wish I knew.

The only thing the knife was good for was to take a pose with friends. James Bond wannabe...what can I say?

fact is, i want to have one when i really need it.

On a side note, I've found my diving knife in my cargo pocket of my dry suit. Whew.

On a side note, I've found my diving knife in my cargo pocket of my dry suit. Whew.

Excellent!

I found a 20 dollar bill in a pair of shorts the other day. Funny thing is the guy didn't even know I "found" them....:wink:

Thank you, I'll be here all night! Tony, hows a bout a little song on the piano or the nice folks? (cue piano music)

Kind of like an airbag and a seat belt..........don't leave home without it and pray you never need it!

If you don't have a knife and see a shark how are you going to poke your buddy before you go screaming and kicking back to the boat as fast as you can.

ive got a small knife on my bwp but of course - already rusting so thinking of either getting a titanium one or using shears

either way - ive been hooked by a fisherman once with about 4 hooks in his line... 3mins seemed much much longer when waiting on the surface for your buddy to return to help out

cheers

On a dive to the Spiegel Grove last year, we were ascending on the anchor line after our safety stop. The current was blasting. It was surreal. We were literally hanging onto the line in a horizontal position. I got a large fish hook in my left glove. It went into the fold of skin between my thumb and forefinger. It was impossible to cut the line with my knife. I was holding onto the anchor-line with my my other hand. My buddy saw what was happening and cut the line with his shears. We had to use those same shears to cut the hook out of me on the boat. That was not a fun experience.

I now carry a knife, shears and a line cutter...

I carry 2 knives. At Venice Beach about a month ago I had some jackass dive off the pier and pull me up by my bouy from 20 ft. :hmmm: First thing he saw come up was my 2 knives. :shocked: School is in moron....divers carry knives. :sulkoff: Film @ 11

...oh did I mention he was arrested. Its battery in Florida to pull up a diver.:knob:

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom