Dive knife, is it really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From experiance I have found that a modest priced titanium folder in my bc pocket works best for me. I hardly remember I have it until I need it. Being titanium I don't have to fight the rust any more like my old stainless and by leaving it in my bc pocket I will always have it when I need it.

I would never suggest you go "naked".

Dave

If only leather didn't like water so much. I have a very nice USMC K-Bar. Think that's overkill? We obtained a SP knife with sheath at our last dive, no one knew who's it was, so its ours.

I keep losing my diving knife and I'm getting tired of replacing it. I haven't really used it all in my dives. I'm just wondering if we really need it at all. I live and dive around Vancouver, BC, Canada.

You won't need one 'till you need it. :)

I dive with a cheap steak knife and depending on the dive I'll carry a bigger knife and always in open water have EMT shears with me, too.

I also tie a loop of bungee around my bigger knives to help keep then in the sheath.

I also used to like a knife with a sharp tip, however, since diving with a drysuit I now use a blunt tip knife. I'd hate to put a hole in my DS while stowing the damn thing.

A DM in Puget Sound found an octopus and started playing with it, to entertain his students. The octopus liked him so much it wrapped its tentacle around his arm and wouldn't let go. After many minutes of trying to persuade the octo to let go, he finally had to gently cut its tentacle. Not enough to cut it off, just enough get it to release.

Considering I've seen bigger octopi in your area, I'd have one handy, just in case. Eventually us mammals have to surface for air.

I keep losing my diving knife and I'm getting tired of replacing it. I haven't really used it all in my dives. I'm just wondering if we really need it at all. I live and dive around Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I haven't cut myself or a buddy out of anything yet, but I do know divers who have cut themselves out of fishing line around Vancouver. I have a knife and shears, shears will likely be my first option if I ever need to cut myself free. Get a knife with a secure sheath and zip tie it on your BCD somewhere, it's not likely to get lost after that.

MEC sells the 304 stainless Wakona BC knife for $20, the exact same identical knife the dive shop sells for $50. It straps onto your hoses or bolts into your BC holes. It locks into place and won't fall out. (I assume that a Vancouverite knows what and where MEC is. If not, www.mec.ca) They sell a Ti knife (same kind) for $40.

Knives are required in BC waters. Kelp and monofilament is in abundance.

A knife is not necessary, until you need it. In 35 years I really only needed mine once to cut myself free from an entanglement. Shears would have been better in that particular case and I now carry both.

Of late, I have been using my knife and shears to clean monofiliment if I come across it.

Check out these. I bought a handful last time I saw them on sale.
ScubaMax BCD dive Knife, Scubamax

These are <$5.00, and you can unscrew the belt slide so it will fit any 2" strap without unthreading.

How do you keep losing it??....They are not that hard to keep up with........You might try a pair of diving scizzors, very easy to secure and very cheap......

How do you keep losing it??....They are not that hard to keep up with........You might try a pair of diving scizzors, very easy to secure and very cheap......

What can I say? I like paying my respects to King Neptune. :worship:

"Seat belts - are they really necessary when driving?"

:shakehead:

Losing your knife should not prompt you to ask whether it's necessary, but rather ask for tips on how to attach it. Obviously, you haven't found a way to attach it yet that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom