Dive knife, is it really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I can't say I use my knife on every dive I probably use in on half my dives. Here are some of the things I use my knife for: banging on my tank to get my buddy's attention (about half the dives!, this is a good reason to get a knife with a metal butt); tightening a loose screw on a leaking 360 deg. regulator swivel (did this underwater, good reason to get a blunt tip knife); sharpening my slate pencil (underwater); lifting up rocks without using my fingers; cutting off a zip tie to repalce a mouthpiece (on the dive boat, shears would not have worked for that); cutting line from my reel for a make shift compass lanyard, shears would have worked for that; and, I think I could use one to shave with in a pinch.

I agree that shears are probably better for dealing with monofilament and definately SS leader but I have never run into that. My knife is mounted on my BC and that has not been a problem. Probably best to have a small, SS knife with a metal butt and a pair of EMS shears but if I was only going to have one I would take the knife.

Yes, a knife as a tool for cutting line, etc. Shears are inadequate unless they are designed to cut wire or cable. Personally, I always carry a knife and often both knife and cutters.

If you don't have a knife and see a shark how are you going to poke your buddy before you go screaming and kicking back to the boat as fast as you can.

Thats what my instructor told us knives were for, in addition to cutting entanglements.

The first time that I lost my knife was when I had it strapped to my calf and I believe it was dislodged from its sheath when I descended to quickly against the wall face.

The second time as I had mentioned before was when I left it on the park bench.

The third time I thought I lost it but realized that I had placed it in the cargo pocket of my dry suit. This time around, I'm strapping the knife to my forearm or to the shoulder strap of my bcd as someone had suggested in one of the earlier posts.

I just need to figure out where to put my shears when I get around to buying one that is.
Sounds like your working a plan to find that safe spot thats accessable in a pinch. I'm assuming your wearing a jacket style BC which has the options available that you mention.

Yes, a knife as a tool for cutting line, etc. Shears are inadequate unless they are designed to cut wire or cable. Personally, I always carry a knife and often both knife and cutters.
Thats why the EMT shears are called Penny Cutters. We've done side by side tests during the clean-ups, the shears are like a hot knife through a block of butter compared to the hack hack hack hack of the knife. The other thing that comes up with knives and line is that if the line has slack and takes being pulled tight by hand, then you apply pressure with the knife to cut or use the line cutter bit and yank or slice, it puts pressure on the hand. I've got scars in the thumb joint areas from from line literally slicing through my gloves and into my hand. My wife experienced this recently while we were removing line from our sailboat (people are just poor casters of their fishing tackle). Away went the knife, out came the shears, snip-snip, done.

While I can't say I use my knife on every dive I probably use in on half my dives. Here are some of the things I use my knife for: banging on my tank to get my buddy's attention (about half the dives!, this is a good reason to get a knife with a metal butt); tightening a loose screw on a leaking 360 deg. regulator swivel (did this underwater, good reason to get a blunt tip knife); sharpening my slate pencil (underwater); lifting up rocks without using my fingers; cutting off a zip tie to repalce a mouthpiece (on the dive boat, shears would not have worked for that); cutting line from my reel for a make shift compass lanyard, shears would have worked for that; and, I think I could use one to shave with in a pinch.

I agree that shears are probably better for dealing with monofilament and definately SS leader but I have never run into that. My knife is mounted on my BC and that has not been a problem. Probably best to have a small, SS knife with a metal butt and a pair of EMS shears but if I was only going to have one I would take the knife.

Good reason not to have the swivel. ...:D

In 50 yrs. I've owned 3 dive knives; My first one was stolen, my second one I lost on a fishing trip, I still have my third one.---never lost one diving yet. Here's what I used my knife for during all those years:

To look really cool in the late 50's and early 60's
To play the game of "Splits"
To try and stick it in a tree at 10 ft. distance
To pose for "action" photos
To open cans (this was before pull tabs)
To pop caps off soda and beer bottles (before screw caps)
As a general fishing tool; cut line, take hooks out of fish, cut bait
As a general cooking and kitchen tool (on camping trips) slice tomatoes, onions, etc.
Pry bad O rings out of tanks
To carve my initials in trees
To cut open sea urchins to feed fish
To kill Lamprey eels in the Great Lakes
For size comparison in UW photos and video
For a hammer (the butt end)
And probably much more....but,

Never had to use it to cut line or assist myself in any way while diving. (knock on wood) A dive knife is like duct tape; it really comes in handy when you need it.

Plan the dive, dive the plan. Planning takes research. Find out if you need a cutting tool where you are going and take it if necessary. This weekend I went to North Carolina without one and realized after seeing fishing line on the wrecks that I should have brought one.

I didn't do my research.

I have been driving for ten years, and never had a flat tire, can I take the jack and spare out of my truck? Same thing with a knife, consider yourself lucky you have not needed it, but its nice to know it is there.

You don't need the biggest or most expensive, and as others have said there are plenty of easy inexpensive alternatives that will prevent loss, and the BF knife on your leg.

I keep losing my diving knife and I'm getting tired of replacing it. I haven't really used it all in my dives. I'm just wondering if we really need it at all. I live and dive around Vancouver, BC, Canada.

No offense, but how do you manage to lose a dive knife? The only one I've lost is one that I lent to an acquaintance (who never gave it back to me).

Edit: I know the answer to the above.

I would still take the knife or some kind of cutter (shears, line cutter, etc.).

Shears are inadequate unless they are designed to cut wire or cable.

I couldn't disagree more. Nothing personal but that's not correct, or perhaps I am somehow confused. The shears I own (emt shears) cut anything and everything I have tried cutting better than a knife even, except an orange. Line, hooks, a dry suit, a wet suit, a BPW harness, metal, string, rubber, rope....

If I need to pry out an o-ring or screw something in I use a multi-tool designed for the job.

I also carry a knife but have found the knife to be inadequate actually for anything else but banging on a tank (annoying) or cutting fruit. JMHO's.:wink:

Yes knives can be good for sawing things but if you are sawing anything underwater you have likely left the realm of recreational diving or you have made a dreadful mistake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom