Dive logs and boat diving, have you ever been denied?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only even been asked for my money. Many in the Keys don't even ask for a c card they just want the debit card.

Every shop I've dived with in the Keys asked for a c-card until they got to know me then they gave me a "local's rate." The Keys is one of the few places I've been asked for an AOW. Guess it's true there is no scuba police. :)

Every shop I've dived with in the Keys asked for a c-card until they got to know me then they gave me a "local's rate." The Keys is one of the few places I've been asked for an AOW. Guess it's true there is no scuba police. :)
I have been asked before for my C-card many times but never for a log book. However there have been timea where I was never asked for anything other than payment. I don't see why a log book is worth crap. So easy to fake it if needed.

I agree for rec divers log books are pretty much personal diaries. They don't "prove" much, but can be reminders of pertinent dive info and fun to keep for reminiscing. Didn't intend to contradict you, just didn't want folks planning dive trips to the Keys without their c-cards (not sure why they would do that...lol). Safe diving. :)

Arabia 2 Tobermory.jpg
MANNING THE HELM...Arabia.jpg

Marie...

When you get your dates sorted out let me know...I'm in Tobermory regularly...

From your ''tech'' thread I know you'll be renting tanks...

When you arrange tank rentals with Kelly...make sure you specify ''DIN'' valves...as some of her steel tanks are only available with ''non-convertible'' yoke valves...

Further...make sure you bring bailout cylinders...I'd recommend nothing less than a 30...a 40 would be preferable...

The Arabia and the Forest City are fabulous wrecks...but bear in mind...and without being a ''fear monger-er''...more divers have died on the Arabia...than on the Andrea Doria...don't be fooled by the harmless appearing 115 ft depth...

Georgian Bay as you are well aware is a huge...open body of water...with prevailing north/west winds...go to Tobermory realizing there may be a day...or more when you'll get blown off...

We were blessed last year with warmer than usual water...temperatures on the Arabia in July/through August/to the middle of September were approx. 60 degrees F...because of its location and cold water ''wash-down'' from an ancient submerged waterfall... temperatures on the Niagara II remained frigid...especially down inside the engine room...

You know to bring your log-book...also make sure you bring your NITROX C-Cards...

As far as local hotel accommodations I highly recommend ''Adventure The Bruce Inn''...

Seasons Greetings...

Warren

I agree for rec divers log books are pretty much personal diaries. They don't "prove" much, but can be reminders of pertinent dive info and fun to keep for reminiscing. Didn't intend to contradict you, just didn't want folks planning dive trips to the Keys without their c-cards (not sure why they would do that...lol). Safe diving. :)
I didn't think you contradicted me at all. You are very right is no one should ever plan a trip or dive without training.

As far as Logs I love making notes on every dive I log (I don't log most of them) so I can look back and stroll down memory lane. I always tell people NEVER leave the comments section blank. Describe the dive and who you dove with. You will thank yourself in 10 years

Never.

However in Australia on a liveaboard my NAUI “Scuba Diver” card was not enough to allow deep diving. Took Rescue to deal with that and have never had an issue since. Minor exception was a boat in Egypt that wanted to see something more than my solo card.

All liveaboards that I have been on want to see a certification card.

They all also plan a relatively easy dive as the first dive to see everyone in the water

Non liveaboard boats are all over the map. Mostly I don’t dive them. Unless you know the operator and it is not “tourist focused” you will be treated like a beginner diver no matter what very card you show. If you dive with a boat a few times - or it is diver focused not tourist focused then you will be more likely to be allowed to dive your certifications.

Also depends on location. Up here the boats are there to get you to the dive site. You will probably get a description of the site after that you are on your own.

I haven't been all over the world but so far nobody in Mexico, Hawai'i, or Costa Rica has asked to see my dive log. I was under the impression that you need them mainly to count dives in order to get certain certifications. To mirror what MaxBottomtime said they all want to see my MasterCard but only a few ever asked to see my C-card.

My girlfriend, who only has around 35 dives, has been on several dives that were "more advanced" than what PADI suggests for OW. On some of those occasions they asked about her experience, and on others they just wanted to know that she was certified.

Edit: most dive boats do want to know when was the last time you went diving. Generally this is already taken care of in casual conservation :)

To echo what many other posters have said, I've never been asked for a logbook. It's come in handy, though.

One April, I was on a boat out of West Palm Beach, and the DM asked everyone the when/where of their last dives. My last dives had been at Ginnie Springs in November, but I didn't recall offhand, so I said, "Um...I don't remember." When I said that, the DM blanched; he honestly looked like he was about to throw up. I pulled out my logbook, though, and showed him that I wasn't a complete n00b/clueless tool.

Never. Occasionally a c-card and as others have mentioned, always a credit card.

I have a buddy that does credit card processing. I am going to encourage him to market a credit card with the image on it being a person’s most advanced cert card. Hand it over, one and done! (Slightly tongue in cheek)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom