Dive Master Course Delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I got some bad news yesterday. It seems a Dive Master course I was very much looking forward to will be delayed (bummer):( . My instructor had an informative meeting in mid Dec., hoping that a class could get started in late Jan. & I was the only one to show. She had several people interested that had called her and said, "if it had been any other day......". She waited a bit (through January) hoping that some of the people interested would come in an obtain the info on their own. No one did. So last week she had another meeting. This time she had some of the interested to come in. It seems that some of the people interested are seniors in high school, so it looks like the class will now be delayed until they get out of school in late May. I was hoping to be on my way to becoming a Dive Master, already. On the bright side, it gives me a chance to read ahead on the material, get into shape & to get some more dives in:D, so all's not lost . Perhaps to even make it up your way this spring for a dive or 2 once the temps start to recover some:) .

Find another instructor that can teach a one on one over a course of a year. You get attention and get a chance to work with the students that the instructor has.

Unfortunately there aren't any within a reasonable driving distance. The next closest is about 70 mi. away. This instructor is only about 10 mi from my home. I have been with this instructor all along & have been happy with the quality of instruction. I'm just a little bummed because of having to wait a little longer. But like I said above, it gives me more time to prepare, so it's not all bad.

Sorry to hear about your delay Tammy. Doesn't this scuba stuff sorta make you feel like a kid at Christmas again?!

Just curious: Are you doing DM (1) for the knowledge and growth as a diver, (2) to help with classes and to lead trips or (3) are you going to continue on and become an instructor?

Actually all the above. I do want to improve personally, assist classes, help out on trips, eventually move on to instructor levels & eventually also move into the technical realms. For Technical diving, my take on it is to perfect my basic techniques before starting tech diving. By becoming a DM & eventually an instructor, I would be forced to perfect the techniques in order to teach them to others. I know this is not manditory to getting into tech diving, but it only makes sense for me to go this route.

tstormwarning:
Actually all the above. I do want to improve personally, assist classes, help out on trips, eventually move on to instructor levels & eventually also move into the technical realms. For Technical diving, my take on it is to perfect my basic techniques before starting tech diving. By becoming a DM & eventually an instructor, I would be forced to perfect the techniques in order to teach them to others. I know this is not manditory to getting into tech diving, but it only makes sense for me to go this route.

Thanks for sharing. Good for you. Sounds like you have a solid plan. Good luck ... I have no doubt you can accomplish all of the above.

Hang in there. It will get here sooner than you think. I was fortunate that our shop does all semi private or private lessons. So from OW on up if you sign up for a class and are ready to go so are we. The only limits are the hours that the pool is available to us. Which currently are mon,wed,thurs from 3-8 and sat from 2-4. But as for knowledge review academic sessions we conduct those before, during, and after regular shop business hours. The schedule depends on the student(s). As a small shop we can't afford to make people wait. So if initially 3 sign up and we agree on a schedule and one decides to change up it's ok. As long as it's for a good reason like work or family obligations we don't penalize people for having lives. Now if someone consistently comes up with an excuse 15 minutes before class and we have to reschedule then additional charges may apply. But this is rare and so far we are preety clear with how we teach and have not had that be an issue except for one or two people over the last two years. But I would advise you to get the DM crewpak and start studying. Pay close attention to the physics, physiology, and the other sciences involved. The workbook and encyclopedia are a big help. THere is alot of stuff in the manual regarding dealing with people, marketing, etc that is a little much but I guess it's a necessary evil. Work on your watermanship skills, and practice basic skills whenever possible. DM's must have demonstration quality skills. By demo quality they mean someone should be able to watch you do it and copy it relatively easily. You need to exaggerate all of the critical attributes so that they are clearly seen. Anyone can clear a mask perfectly after a few dives in a fraction of a second. But you need to be able to take 2-3 seconds or more to snow every little detail. A student cannot pick up the little things like thumb position if you suddenly touch your mask tilt back and clear. It may be perfect for you but the student has seen nothing that will help them. If I can be of any help drop a line. BTW know your rdp,erdp, and the Wheel.

Thanks for the advice. It is very informative. I have already began to study the encyclopedia & about 1/2 way through it. At this point that's what my instructor has advised me to get read, when I finish that, she said she'd find something else for me to work on. On my own I have also gotten the encyclopedia on CD ROM to help with the understanding though interaction. Until the weather & water warms a bit, I'm out of the water for a bit. I'm such a cold water coward. I've started working out some to get into a little better shape. I understand why she's waiting, it's not a huge deal, just a tad disappointing. I'm plannning on using the time to prepare the best I can so I can do as well as possible.

Back
Top Bottom