Dive Master Recommendations in Central America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm hoping you don't mind if I butt in on this thread too...I'm moving to Utila Dec 23rd and going to the Utila Dive Center to do my IDC and then MSDT. Are there any specific dangers us ladies should know about? I heard there are a lot of kidnapping goes on in Honduras? Are there many issues with theft? Can I safely bring a laptop?
Load of questions...and plenty more :)

Well, I don't know about Honduras, but I am about to find out about Playas del Coco, Costa Rica. I'll be doing an internship at Rich Coast Diving, owned by a Dutch couple. They seem to have three divemasters in training now, and the diving should be really nice over there. Also, I am bringing a laptop, and according to the people over there that should be safe as long as you keep a close eye on it. They have never heard anything about kidnapping over there.....

Hi,

if you want specific info on the DM program feel free to pm me, I am the manager at Cross Creek Dive Center. For info on Utila check out aboututila.com.

I used to work for Steve Gwenin in Mexico, his company do not do true volunteer work, in that you pay around 3000 pounds UK for 10 weeks but the projects are worthwhile and the standard of training and science diving is high (or it was when I was doing the training!!!). There is not really time to do Divemaster though, but you will do alot of diving on practically undived reefs.

Go to a dive shop for your DM training because you will actually get to assist in real student training, lead real fun divers and generally gain alot more experience. You also have a chance of paid work. We generally have one or two paid Divemastrers to run our fun dive boats, it doesnt pay well but its enough to get by. Assistant Instructors do much better. In any case bear in mind that the Caribbean will be quiet now until December.

Utila Dive Center are in the process of opening the Utila Marine Research Center which will be up and running in a few weeks. this will be a non profit organisation, unlike other dive shops so called eco diving and "research" which is all for profit.

On Utila we also have the Bay Islands Conservation Association, BICA, which is always after volunteers. You should be able to schedule your divemaster around any environmental commitments you might make for yourself.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Simon

We also offer great dm packages! Costa Rica is a great place to dive.
At this moment we have 3 dm's in training, one from the Us, one from the Uk and one from here. They are having loads of fun.
Come join them!

We are always looking for help with Sandy Bay and West End Marine Park and Divemasters trained in Roatan have a good chance of getting work there due to the higher number of resorts on the island. The last three DMs I have signed off are all working in resorts now. The main advice I always give is not to commit to any dive operation for your divemaster course until you get to the town and actually see the operation and meet the instructors.

Don't let anyone try and get deposits out of you - that is usually an indication that they know you would choose somewhere else once you have actually seen the place, so they make you comit before you see the place!

If you are seriously interested in doing your DM and working on a voluntary basis there is a strong possinility that you will be able to do your DM training free of charge in return for volunteer work at the marine park. It would obviously depend on the skills you can briong and the time you can commit.

If you are interested email me and/or the park at will@bayislandsdiver.com or roatanmarinepark@yahoo.com

Kind regards

Will Welbourn

As you have seen from other people's responses, the Bay Islands are the location of choice when considering Central America. With the option of Utila and Roatan, the choice is really what do you want to achieve out of the time you spend doing your Dive Master. Both islands are very different and those from Utila would swear by their island, while us here on Roatan do the same for our rock.
What you need to decide is what you want to achieve from this whole trip! After Madisgar what then other than your DM. Managing a marine park here, we are constantly looking for people to assist in the day to day running and helping with projects. Depending on how long you intend to stay and how much you want to get involved with the Park, it is possible for part of your DM course to be subsidised.
To chat more contact us on roatanmarinepark@yahoo.com

I think the Roatan Marine Park does an excellent job in protecting Roatans reefs, I'm not sure what scientific research they do but they make a valuable contribution and I'd encourage any diver to visit their office in the West End and contribute to their project.

The marine research facility on Utila, known officially as the Utila Center for Marine Ecology, also works for reef protection but also has 4 main research areas; Mega fauna; Fisheries; Coral Ecology; and Mangrove Ecology. Each is headed up by a programme leader, who oversees all aspects of the research programme. You can choose to join whichever main programme you are interested in. You will get to enjoy what you learn, and then use what is taught there to help collect data on specific subjects. Obviously all the projects are equally valuable as a reef system and ecology are inter-connected. You can even tailor a joint programme to your tastes… Just undertake the specific education and training programme… get validated on the required skills… and join the research team.

UCME is different; it is a Honduran organisation, non profit orientated and long term success in conservation requires not only biological expertise but an understanding of complex politics, local motivations and community dynamics. The staff of UCME are both native Hondurans and Honduran residents who have an innate understanding not only of the regions biological systems but the socio-economics that is now influencing them. UCME uses this local knowledge to specifically tailor projects to local conditions, addressing and prioritising problems, rather than using a generalised science programme. Through its unique funding model and the ability to engage all sectors of the community, UCME can design and implement appropriate projects that facilitate local understanding and involvement at all levels. Through targeted research and specially devised training and education programmes, UCME aims to identify, evaluate and mitigate these problems and build awareness, understanding and stewardship of the islands natural resources at both a local and national level.

The UCME is currently headed by a Doctorate in marine biology, and has several biologists on staff. It's a really fun way to make a positive contribution and receive meaningful training and education, currently the UCME is the field research center for the University of Southern Mississipi's 'Marine Psychology dept'.

Anyone can participate with the UCME, but they do have limited capacity. You do not have to book in advance but just like showing up a well reputed and popular bistro/restaurant, you take a chance with the seating and timing depending upon how busy they are.

If you're interested in this project feel free to post questions for public discussion.

Warm regards,
Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom