Dive Op not showing up on Padi search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are headed to Anguilla and decided to get our Rescue Diver work done while there. We searched for an operator on the island, and Vigilant Divers has PADI courses on their website, including rescue diver. We talked back and forth quite a bit, then signed up for the elearning modules. PADI requires you to select a dive shop during that process, and surprisingly, they didn't show up. I sent him an email and he said we could actually just select any dive shop including the one closest to us. I probably should have questioned it a bit more. Is there any way to verify an instructor's credentials through PADI? I'm noticing that our elearning certificate has our local dive shop on it, and the local dive shop sent us an email, so I'm feeling pretty silly trying to explain it to them. Has anyone run into this before?

They could have PADI instructors on staff, but still not be a PADI dive center. You should ask them about that. The shop the eLearning is attached to did receive a revenue share, but as long as the other place doesn’t upcharge you to make up the difference, there’s no harm.

Now I wonder if PADI is okay with a non PADI center advertising PADI courses.

They could have PADI instructors on staff, but still not be a PADI dive center. You should ask them about that. The shop the eLearning is attached to did receive a revenue share, but as long as the other place doesn’t upcharge you to make up the difference, there’s no harm.

Now I wonder if PADI is okay with a non PADI center advertising PADI courses.
Shouldn't be a problem since PADI instructors can teach independently of any shop, and instructors are encouraged to advertise.

We are headed to Anguilla and decided to get our Rescue Diver work done while there. We searched for an operator on the island, and Vigilant Divers has PADI courses on their website, including rescue diver. We talked back and forth quite a bit, then signed up for the elearning modules. PADI requires you to select a dive shop during that process, and surprisingly, they didn't show up. I sent him an email and he said we could actually just select any dive shop including the one closest to us. I probably should have questioned it a bit more. Is there any way to verify an instructor's credentials through PADI? I'm noticing that our elearning certificate has our local dive shop on it, and the local dive shop sent us an email, so I'm feeling pretty silly trying to explain it to them. Has anyone run into this before?
Sounds a little flaky....but possible.
Why not just go with Shoal Bay Scuba, a real PADI shop...no issues.
upload_2020-2-21_22-12-13.png

This could be an independent instructor associated with the dive shop, nothing wrong with that at all. Padi encourages instructors to teach independently. (Not sure about a non-padi shop advertising padi courses without making it clear though)
BUT
You should check them out, ask for name and Instructor number, check that with Padi. Ask for liability insurance, ask for an idea of their teaching history.
Any reputable Instructor should be happy to do this for you.

We had a guy here doing this "just associate with anybody" trick. He was not actually a Padi Instructor, he was a very dubious cmas?? instructor. (Lots more to that story, I will save it for another day)

PADI does not list them on their website! Here is the link to search for PADI authorized dive centers Dive Shop Locator | Find A Local Dive Shop or Resort | PADI
They are not allowed to list PADI courses or advertise themselves as a PADI Dive Center unless the sign up with PADI and pay the annual dues. They are allowed to use an independent PADI instructor to teach PADI courses they just can not use the PADI name or logo in any advertising and you will not be able to sign up for elearning without the Instructors member number.

After a little bit of research it looks like he is an independent instructor with his own boat. In that case he is able to use the PADI name and Logo to advertise courses. A lot of the time an independent instructor like this will be able to take more time to teach the course without the pressure of a store owner that wants them to get it done in the shortest time possible. I would reach out to Rob, the instructor, via email and get his PADI member number and that will let you sign up for the e-learning. If you look on Trip Advisor he has 73 five star reviews, going back to 2012, with no four star or below reviews, I have never seen anyone without at least 1 bad review.

After a little bit of research it looks like he is an independent instructor with his own boat. In that case he is able to use the PADI name and Logo to advertise courses. A lot of the time an independent instructor like this will be able to take more time to teach the course without the pressure of a store owner that wants them to get it done in the shortest time possible. I would reach out to Rob, the instructor, via email and get his PADI member number and that will let you sign up for the e-learning. If you look on Trip Advisor he has 73 five star reviews, going back to 2012, with no four star or below reviews, I have never seen anyone without at least 1 bad review.
Unless there has been a recent change that I didn't notice, you cannot associate an eLearning course with a specific instructor when registering online. Only shops and resorts. For an independent instructor to receive a revenue share, he/she needs to purchase an eLearning access pass at the instructor cost and then sell that course to you, keeping the markup.
It sounds like OP has already affiliated with their local LDS for the Rescue course, so it is more than likely too late to direct revenue to the instructor. No harm in that, just print the completed form when done and bring it with as a referral for the next instructor's records. It will also have the info that makes it easier for the certifying instructor to find the record on-line and complete the certification. (When you bought the eLearning, you also paid for the c-card, and should avoid accidentally buying the card a 2nd time.)
Also, either the LDS or the next instructor need to complete the 20 question Rescue Diver Quick Review with the student. May as well make the LDS do it if/since they received the revenue share, and then provide documentation of that completion for the referral.
One more important side note: do you have the CPR & First Aid requirements completed? Whatever you have done, you should run it past the Rescue Instructor now to be sure that there are no unanticipated issues or incorrect assumptions.

We completed our rescue diver course work with Rob and he was amazing! We did confirm his padi number beforehand. He was very patient (for some reason I had a very hard time with the do si do with my husband who has 7 inches and 50 pounds on me, and was the opposite of “trim” with his weight belt hanging low on his hips.) Rob worked with me until I got it so good that I could even do si do my husband whose body wanted to be completely vertical.

It was both incredibly challenging and incredibly rewarding, as advertised.

Back
Top Bottom