Dive Op - Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy ****ake mushroom, 70 feet? I bet that puppy ripped to the surface.
The line gets tight.

Padi OW changes from another thread...
Here's a run-down of the most interesting changes:

• skill added for addressing a loose band from a cylinder that has become unsecured
  • skill added for emergency weight drop
  • formalized performance requirements for buddy contact under water
  • formalized performance requirements for good surface habits
  • skill for descents changed. Descents to neutrally buoyant over the bottom as opposed to "landing" on the bottom
  • skill for ascents changed. Ascents are to be taught from neutrally buoyant
  • skill for air-management. OW divers are to be aware at all times of their pressure to within +/- 20 bar when asked without re-checking the spg
  • AAS swimming skill changed to include an ascent and orally inflating the BCD
  • performance requirements added for determining and adjusting trim for horizontal attitude in the water
  • OW course is now to be conducted such that as much of the course as possible is done while neutrally buoyant (no more sitting in a line on your knees)
  • "Mini-dive" requirements added for confined dives 2-5 with specific focus on skills drilling
  • performance requirement added for proper lifting of heavy gear.
  • skill added for (D)SMB use in open water
  • "trim check" skill added for open water
  • buddy teams must now plan and execute the last open water dive

To my way of thinking this is all together a good thing. The bar for instructors who teach OW has been raised to the point where all instructors will now need to teach to a new level of increased quality, comfort and competence.

As an aside (and I apologize to the OP for this little hijack) many of these changes were either directly or indirectly a result of an initiative taken by a group of instructors here in Scubaboard who approached PADI starting a little over 2 years ago with many of these points and were successful, in collaboration with people within the agency, in getting these changes implemented.

R..

skill for descents changed. Descents to neutrally buoyant over the bottom as opposed to "landing" on the bottom
What? People were taught to LAND on the bottom? Glad my instructors weren't insane- we were taught not to kill thousands of years of coral growth.

performance requirement added for proper lifting of heavy gear.
Isn't the proper way to do this by handing the DM an extra tip? (Or make sad eyes at your husband?) They're gonna test people on that now? :)

Everyone should carry an SMB, I think. Many people do, I believe. On the other hand, if your DM shoots a tube, you should use it. Shooting a strange SMB can confuse the boat captain. If you insist on using your own, make sure the DM and Captain are all in on the plan ahead of time.

Agree.

Yes, it is/was very common and SOP actually to land on the SANDY bottom on the OW dives to complete skills. No one is talking about landing on live coral on purpose!

What? People were taught to LAND on the bottom? Glad my instructors weren't insane- we were taught not to kill thousands of years of coral growth.

Isn't the proper way to do this by handing the DM an extra tip? (Or make sad eyes at your husband?) They're gonna test people on that now? :)

Yes, it is/was very common and SOP actually to land on the SANDY bottom on the OW dives to complete skills. No one is talking about landing on live coral on purpose!

Interesting- we did our OW skills on a platform, but we had to show we could stop our descent before lowering ourselves to the platform. Because we were told "in real life" (no platform) you wouldn't be touching the bottom. I guess I can see how some people would kneel in sand if they did ocean checkouts- but it seems like they still should have been taught to not aim for landing on the bottom, since you don't always get the same bottom. (Ie: the coral example- that was what we were told, but of course there is no coral anywhere near our quarry)

Just spent the last 5 days diving in Coz and with Aqua Safari - nothing but good to say about this dive shop. From the first dive to the last dive, inclusive of the night diving, the DM's were very attentive to the various skill levels and all those on the dive. My wife rented equipment and had no issues. At no point did I see anyone dive without a "buddy", however there were several dives that paired two folks together that just met on the boat. This was usually covered in conversation on the trip out and skill levels were discussed and there was an attempt to match similar skilled divers together (for the single divers). As for air consumption, you'll be expected to return to the surface with your buddy and the DM's shot off their SMB when the first team needed to rise. The remaining divers stayed below as the DM would continue the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom