Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just tell me it isn't pouring down there the way it is right now in Clearwater.
I was planning on picking up tanks in a little while and planning to be there in the morning, if I expect to be able to see. lmao

Sat June 22 around 10:30am or so
Site Location Alhambra
Water Temp 89
Visibility 4 - 6ft in most places. Pockets down to less than 1 foot. <br> At the blocks 3-4ft ft 90 mins after peak high tide
Tide state High peak at 11:00am
Wind 5mph SE
Surf some swell; 1 to 2 ft.
Presence of drift algae: mostly in mid water column.

First dive in a long while, and desperately welcome.
No good finds (just the usual small stuff), but had a lot of fun, saw an odd looking fish I can't quite identify (looked like a juvenile Jackknife fish except was plain bold yellow, and tail seemed longer).
Also met a bunch of new people floating around the "parking lot" who should hopefully be new scubaboard members this weekend.

Last edited:
June 23, 2013
dear Diary:
today i dove N of Alhambra or S of Venice Beach, take your pick
I swam west until i hit 24 fsw
the winds were ESE 8 mph @ 9:15 am, with an incoming tide
viz varied from 5 ft around the blocks, to 2 inches @ 22 ft in the sea grass, to 3-5 further out
just like Savage Ron, I also saw the yellow juvenile jack knife fish, along with a skate and my personal favs, the mantis shrimp!
Finds included a 2 inch meg, a few partial small megs, and a 5 inch mastodon tooth ( which I left out there for someone else to find, how nice of me!):D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 240
My luck. Starts raining as soon as i pull on to Tamiamai. Oh well finally here and have two weeks to get some diving in.

---------- Post added June 25th, 2013 at 09:14 AM ----------

First dive this morning 6/25
Sunset Dr.
seas 1' maybe
viz 5+ in most spots
Found my first MEG. Small but I am happy. A little over 2". Also found a nice Bull Upper also small. Hoping to build from there over the next couple weeks. Think I will give the Kayak a try sometime this week.
Good Luck to all.

Got my wife out on the kayak with me today. We made two dives. She got her first meg. Kinda small 1.25" but clean with nice serration. She was excited. She was also not prepared for how much work it would be. I also didn't expect her to get sea sick from paddling the kayak. Overall an exhausting day but good to go diving with my wife for the first time!

Time: 11:00 AM
Viz: 10+ feet
Max depth: 28 feet
Finds: 4" cracked down middle. 2.5 incher.
Interesting sights: Saw the biggest hermit crab I have every seen. The guy had taken over a Queen Conch shell and was not scared of me at all. He was as big as or bigger than a stone crab.

2nd dive:
Winds picked up a lot. By the time I could get my wife geared up we had drifted far to the SE from where I wanted to dive.
Time: Around 3:00 PM
Viz: Mostly hovered around 10, there was some snot picking up in the water, but it was pretty usable.
Finds: Found a little 2" tooth as soon as I hit the bottom. Wife found a small 1.25 mid way through. Really didn't end up where I wanted to be and as I expected didn't find much of anything.
Interesting sights: 2nd dive ended we came upon what must have been 50 foot of chain and a pretty clean but bent 20-30 pound anchor. Might have to go back and salvage that bad boy to drape around my house.

Side tidbit: My father and I used to salvage anchors of the artificial reef in Charlotte Harbor all the time growing up. My mom's house has probably 40-50 anchors as decor around it. That's just the nice ones we found.

Just finished 2nd dive today. Came up in a storm.
Both dives off Sunset (Just south of Golden Beach)
Probably the roughest surf I have ever walked off the beach in.
I am not sure how you tell but I would say at least 4-5' maybe I am out of line but it sure seemed like it
Nothing found to brag about.
Hope others had better luck

6/29/13 dive with Megalodon charters
winds SW 10-12
temp 86
depth 27 fsw
viz 4-6
some current
twas a bit bumpy out there this morning, early afternoon. Did 2 dives, similar conditons both dives, small stuff & fragments mainly found. Saw juvenile jack knife & drums and an arrow crab under a rock.

Just left the beach.. looks awful. Who ordered the cholocate milk? Sea conditions look like their improving but there doesn't look like there will be any viz for a while..

Alright everyone... Should I make the trip up or not? Really want to since I'm not able to that often, but want to be able to see some teeth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom