Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did 3 dives sunday (KAYAK out of Alhambra)

First dive swell,current, windy (11'ish knots?) choppy.... got a workout kayaking back to shore!
Second/Third dive wind calmed down as did chop...

Viz: 2-5
Noticed a lot of silt on bottom in areas I don't really there being silt!!! Maybe I was just missing the good spots, but things were much more silty than usual. Maybe storm/waves last week tossed things?

Found 4 or 5 megs, partial mammoth, horse and usual small stuff.

Big difference from the 12+ viz from last week!

Obviously we have an eddy reaching in to warm us up but the current this weekend on the Vandenberg was at least 5 knots! 150' viz and the temp is up to 75 but just a huge workout to get down there and then hide out next to the steel. Hopefully it will break off by the end of the week and leave the blue water behind.

Mhedman

Thanks for your report of conditions for Key West. This forum is for dive reports for Venice beach area. I will move this to a more appropriate site.

Thanks
Mike

servicemens park 4/8/2011

Seas like glass @ 10:30am.
Surface Temp 76 deg
surface swam to end of the pier on the bottom aprox 1' viz. Went west another 150yrds to hard bottom, viz picked up to 2 feet and temp down to 72-73 deg on the bottom.

called 2nd dive....still a little cold for my enjoyment. some small teeth found and one whale tooth was the only notable find. In the low viz its amazing how much a leaf laying on the bottom can look like a Meg!:amazed:

Yep,.. I'd say I'd have to agree with both those viz reports... Top 10-15 ft had 10' viz... but the bottom 10' only had 2-4' mostly 2' lol.. calm till about 430.. in the afternoon.. then we had a small 1-2' chop out of the n-nw...Winds were E all morning... so that helped the seas lay down off the beach.. overall had an ok day. did 2 dives had 77 deg on the surface,.. 72 on the bottom.. first comfortable dive I did all year without a Vested Hood... Oh,.. and on a small side note... Lots of silt that wasn't there 2 weeks ago... Give it a week or two and the viz should double or so... Pics are on the "Post your Pictures" page..:cool2:

Had a great day, beautiful water, and awesome vis. Went out to the Genesis and M16.
Both had lots of fish and, of course, the Goliath groupers.

Report for Mon... the 11th. Temp bottom 72.. top 77 Viz 5-15' I could stand on the bottom and see my boat on the surface... The bottom 5' was like a fog.. but above that was crystal clear!.. Had a good day did two dives... Found some nice stuff.. One guy on the boat found a 4 and a 1/4" verry nice intact tooth.. Pics on pic page.

Had another trip booked for today,.. Viz was slightly worse than Mon.. but still in the 10-15' range.. Some spots were around 5'... Overall a great day.. Water was 72-73 on the bottom.. 77 on surface.. saw a little snot in the top 15 ' water.. :wink:.. I got to do a little diving and found a few nice intact megs, mako, and horse tooth.. Pics on pic page..:D

Had a group out today around 9am.. seas calm temp on bottom 75 78 on surface.. bottom viz 15 ft.. 2nd dive around 11am 10ft viz and 3rd dive around 4pm was around 5-8ft viz... nice day alittle north current... we all found alot of teeth pics will be posted soon... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom