Dive Rite 2nd stage with Scuba Pro MK2 Plus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Syd7890

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Dive Rite Regulators, but the local dive shop that I deal with usually substitutes the Dive Rite 1st stage with the Scuba Pro MK2 Plus, as a way to get around the DIN/Yoke problem. I dive mostly in the Great Lakes (cold fresh water), and have some doubts about using the MK2 Plus for cold water diving. The guy at the shop says that they even use this reg set-up for ice diving. I'm just not sure though. What do you guys think...is this a good set-up, or would it be better to use the Dive Rite 1st stage with the DIN/Yoke adapter?

I like the Mk 2 and it is a great cold water reg. Prior to the Mk 16 and Mk 17, it was a popular reg here with ice divers and with public safetey divers as it is bullet proof and utterly reliable.

You can freeze it up on an ice dive but you really have to abuse it to get it to freeze flow.

If you plan to go below recreational depths (deeper than 130 feet) I'd go with the Mk 17 instead. It offers more than enough gas flow for deep air or mixed gas technical diving and it is as close as a first stage can get to freeze proof.

I like the Mk 2 and it is a great cold water reg. Prior to the Mk 16 and Mk 17, it was a popular reg here with ice divers and with public safetey divers as it is bullet proof and utterly reliable.

You can freeze it up on an ice dive but you really have to abuse it to get it to freeze flow.

If you plan to go below recreational depths (deeper than 130 feet) I'd go with the Mk 17 instead. It offers more than enough gas flow for deep air or mixed gas technical diving and it is as close as a first stage can get to freeze proof.
Thanks for the insight. I was always under the assumption that a piston type 1st stage isn't very well suited for cold water. Apparantly, this isn't always the case.

I dive in canada with wtaer temps from 28-36 degrees F in the winter and I dive a mk25 and my brother dives a mk 2 (we dive up to 130 feet) and neither of us have ever had a free flow with SP regs.

I dive a Dive Rite G2500Ice with the DIN/yoke adapter and it's no big deal PLUS when I borrow my buddy's DIN tanks I can use my own regs. Occasionally pre-dive the adapter will have worked loose but you know it because you'll hear a leak when you turn your tank on. Tighten the yoke adapter and you're on your way.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom