dive rite rec wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prenzy

Reaction score
hi everyone. im seriously considering getting a rec wing by dive rite but having second thoughts due to previous comments regarding a wing intended for singles and doubles are optimal for neither. how true is this? any experience using the rec wings for singles or doubles? how is it? would appreciate comments... thanks!!

prenzy:
hi everyone. im seriously considering getting a rec wing by dive rite but having second thoughts due to previous comments regarding a wing intended for singles and doubles are optimal for neither. how true is this? any experience using the rec wings for singles or doubles? how is it? would appreciate comments... thanks!!

It really depends on which tanks you want to use. For the larger singles and smaller doubles it's perfect. The main problem you'll have if you use it for doubles is that some combinations are very big and very negative and you may find it has insufficient lift. The issue being that a wide set of doubles will not allow the wing to fully inflate so while it says it has something like 20kg of lift, that number may, in reality, be quite a bit less with a big set of doubles.

That said I'll tell you what I think it works for:

For singles you'll find it good for AL-80, 10's, 12 (especially stubby 12s) and 15 litre tanks. I've never tried it with smaller tanks but it may be a bit big for a 7.

For doubles it works well with twin 7's, twin 10's and it will work with the less negative variants like a twin carbon 12, twin AL-80s and maybe even a twin carbon 15 (although I've never tried this, I suspect it will be ok).

Obviously using carbon tanks is a choice you need to carefully consider. They're quite a bit less likely to put you in the head down position than their steel equivalents (ie, it's easier to find your trim) and they're easier to swim with but they're not popular among the tec crowd because you need to compensate with (more) weight around your middle. On the other hand a twin carbon 10 is small, light and holds more gas when it's full than a twin steel 12.

hopes that helps.

R..
P.S. It's a good idea to at least fill in your approximate location in your profile so people know which system of measurement you're used to.

I've used a Rec Wing with both Double and single AL80s, and found it adequate but not ideal with either. I'm more comfortable diving a Halcyon Pioneer for singles and an OxyCheq Doubles wing.

I dived my Rec wing with a single LP95 cylinder for a couple hundred dives and was quite happy with it ... till I tried an Oxycheq 45# singles wing.

Then I sold the Rec wing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have found it worked well for 6.75" to 7.25" diameter double tanks like steel 72's and AL 80's. However the 7.25" diameter tanks begin to restrict the inflation of the wing as it gets pinched between the back plate and the tanks. Larger diameter steel tanks with more negative bouyancy would be inviting a problem with insufficient boiuyancy.

For smaller diameter singles it works ok if the bungee system is used to minimize the taco effect as the wing wraps around the tank. As far as bungee systems go it is pretty low drag and snag free (vastly better than the system OMS uses), but you are better off with a wing that does not reqwuire them.

If you are going to be diving primarily double tanks, a dedicated doubles wing a little wider design is a better way to go. I use a Halycon wing and also like the dive rite classic wing.

Beware of the fashion police. get a wing that you can use , not one with a cool H on it, to look good on the boat.

The narrow RecWing is perfect for large capacity singles like my E8-130's. I've never had a problem with air trapping.

ill be using it for twin al 80's or single al 80's.. i primarily dive in warm waters using singles but dive twins every once in a while. i was considering the trek wings by dive rite but was afraid it might not do my trim good since it is too short and wont be supporting my whole length ( im 6'4, 220 lbs and i have specially heavy legs which has been a pain for my trim). any more suggestions? thanks for all the info!

prenzy:
ill be using it for twin al 80's or single al 80's.. i primarily dive in warm waters using singles but dive twins every once in a while. i was considering the trek wings by dive rite but was afraid it might not do my trim good since it is too short and wont be supporting my whole length ( im 6'4, 220 lbs and i have specially heavy legs which has been a pain for my trim). any more suggestions? thanks for all the info!
I use a trek wing for double 80s when I'm not bringing any deco gas. I still use the 7# trim weight between the tanks, I trim out fine and I'm 6' 240lbs

I use my rec wing with a Fred T heavy and small doubles up to Faber 85's (and it would probably be fine with PST E7-100's too, though I haven't tried 'em). I find it to be the "perfect" wing for those doubles. For singles of any size I prefer the transpac and travel wing.
S

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom