dive rite travel wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am starting diving the Jersey shore. I am switching to a BP/W and wondering if the dive rite travel wing is okay for use with singles for Jersey diving.

If you are diving wet with 7mm FJ you could be pushing it's lift capacity. Otherwise, it should be great and still nbot too big to travel to warmer destinations.

I am starting diving the Jersey shore. I am switching to a BP/W and wondering if the dive rite travel wing is okay for use with singles for Jersey diving.

I just got one a couple months ago & dove it with my 5 mm wetsuit on a 80 Alum for my 1st dive with it----did great...Since then I used it on a 100 steel(for shore diving) but with only 2 mm shortie(@ Cozumel)...but---- no problems........

EDIT:Now for boat diving I use a 120 steel tank, support it with an even smaller bladdered BC(24 # Zeagle Scout---ie the DR Travel one is 27#).....hope this info can help you...

Last edited:
I have a Dive Right travel wing and I use it for pretty much all single ALUM 80 tank dives, cold and warm.

30lbs of lift is MORE than enough to get me out since I only need 4lbs to get down with a 5mil- and a transpac II harness with lumbar pad. There, I said it. Transpac. If i loose the lumbar pad, i can get down without weights.

like everyone else has said, it should be ok for most single-tank diving ... it will get tested if you start diving large steel tanks, say anything past an LP-95, but it should hold up

i used to dive an LP 108 and tried a Travel, and it did feel like i was right at the edge of its capacity ... but that was a long time ago and i wasn't as comfortable in the water then

Right now I dive with either a Dive Rite Transpac or Transplate (SS plate), single steel tank (Faber M-series extra heavy 100 or 120), 7mm wetsuit, 8-lbs. My wing is the 45-lbs Venture wing. That wing is plenty to lift my entire rig when the tank is full. I could easily go down to 30-lbs or even slightly less, but I want the margin of safety if I were to have to haul somebody at the surface or help haul somebody up from depth.

Most people don't really need that much lift for their rigs if they were to weight themselves properly. Let's do a quick lift requirement calculation for myself (as equipped below, I'm properly weighted while wearing my 7mm wetsuit):

Faber M-series 120-cuft tank @ -15.58lbs full / -6.53lbs empty
Valve @ -2.00lbs
Regulators @ -2.00lbs
Dive Rite Transpac @ 0lbs (neutral buoyancy)
Trim Weights @ -4lbs
Weights in pouches @ -4lbs

Total Dive Weight -27.58lbs full tank / -18.53lbs empty tank

As seen above, I could easily go with the 30lbs wing for if I were to have to ditch my rig when my tank was still full. But I CHOSE to go with the 45lbs lift wing for in case I have to help float somebody for a bit. That's an individual call. Some people wanted to have a wing that is just enough to lift themselves and some people wanted a wing with a little extra lift for emergency.

The whole idea is don't go with a 50-lbs lift or a 60-lbs lift unless your dive weight reflect that much required lift.

I used to dive one while carrying 36# of lead on my belt and an HP120 with a 19 cu ft pony. It was just marginal for some of the diving I did (down to 200 ft). Now that I'm diving shallower (max depth 150 ft) and with a neutral buoyancy aluminum tank, it is fine. Of course when I'm asked to retrieve a 25-30+ lb weight belt, no way unless there is an up-line.

There are three sizes of the travel wing floating around these days. There's the current "EXP" swing, which looks very nice and reasonably steamlined. I'd get one if I did not already have two travel wings. NESS has a few of them with outdated colors (big deal) at an excellent price. Then there's the 30 lb square wing that preceded it, and a few places have some left over stock of those. I would not pay more than $200 for one of those. Then there's the huge 40 lb version that dive rite was pushing for a while. That one would be better as a small doubles wing. I'd stay away from that one.

It's not the tank size that makes much of a difference in lift requirements, unless you have a truly humongous and unusual tank, like one of the heiser tanks. It's wetsuit compression and overall weight carried on your rig, which does not include weight on a belt or weight harness. As awap said, if you're in a very buoyant wetsuit you might need a good amount of lift to compensate for it's loss of buoyancy at depth, but I would still doubt that you'd need more than 30 lbs. I guess its possible.

Of course when I'm asked to retrieve a 25-30+ lb weight belt, no way unless there is an up-line.

Of course, a lift bag would be safer for getting that to the surface anyway, so it's no loss to not have the extra capacity in your wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom