Dive Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The eRDP was the worst part of my DM course. I hate the thing. I'd rather just do it with paper & pencil.

Downloading dives from my Petrel is one of my favorite things to do. I get to see how I did on my dive, how I maintained my pO2 and how well I followed the plan.

So then I hooked up with a bunch of divers that didn't use computers and were able to calculate on the fly. I felt like a complete idiot because I didn't know how to do it and had to follow a computer. One day I was out kayak diving and lost my computer during a roll over. I didn't have the money to replace it, so I figured it would be a good time to learn from those other guys how to compute dives in my head following tables.
What a liberation! It was so easy.

Where I can learn this? I don't know many divers yet but am interested in learning to compute dives on the fly. Perhaps there's an online site?

For their sake, I hope a bunch of these "experts" who are diving unproven methods by the seat of their pants have good insurance coverage.
Sooner or later it will catch up with them I am sure.
Dive tables or computer. To do it on instinct alone is like Russian roulette, sooner of later something for sure will go boom.
computers today are cheap, cheaper than in many cases of buying a watch and depth gauge. So why not dive with one? I can see no need with a computer on 20-30ft dives, but anything else you are losing out on additional bottom time and increased factor of safety. Too many people forget how to use a simple rdp. One asst instr here stated he hated using it for DM. For DM course it's use should be second nature, using either version, RDP or eRDPml,which is required To be owned during a DM course. The eRDPml and rdp is included in DM learning materials.
Only takes a few seconds,maybe less than 10 seconds to plan out a dive with a surface interval and a repetitive dive,with either version, but you have to now monitor your depth and time carefully.

Use a computer and if you forget some of its functions it will still likely tell you go up.

Where I can learn this? I don't know many divers yet but am interested in learning to compute dives on the fly. Perhaps there's an online site?

Only way I know how to learn that is the way I learned it, experience. The first 30+ years of my diving experience was without PDCs. There was diving before PDCs,SPGs, BDCs and all the other essential equipment we use today.

I remember once I went up to Tahoe (6200' elevation) and did some diving. I set my computer for altitude and also set it for conservative since the next morning we had to rise to 8300' going over the pass to go home.
The following weekend my buddy and I go out to the ocean and I forgot to reset the computer to our current dive.
Irony.

For their sake, I hope a bunch of these "experts" who are diving unproven methods by the seat of their pants have good insurance coverage.
Sooner or later it will catch up with them I am sure.

How do you prove a method? Ratio Deco has been used a lot with good results thus far.

How do you prove a method? Ratio Deco has been used a lot with good results thus far.

Personally > 2000 dives in 44 years without a hit does it for me.

Just in case I have to use tables -- do they make a large print version?

Just in case I have to use tables -- do they make a large print version?

Donnah,

One of my friends, whose eyes are just slightly older than mine, enlarged and laminated a photocopy/scan of the submersible dive tables he's owned and used for years. He takes a couple of copies with him on dive outings just in case (though he only dives with one copy at a time).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom