dive trip for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midiver79

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, i plan on getting certified in jan. Im looking for place to go for around a thousand dollars. I would probably be going with a friend or two. Im looking at something where i would have at least 2 boat dives and unlimited shore diving. I just need a place to sleep, nothin real fancy. im looking for something in the caribbean or central america. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

You're getting certified...in January... in Trinidad Colorado?

Umm, Okay, under $1000. We'll assume you mean "after the airfare"? Can't go to many warm places from Colorado for less than $800.

So, lodging, airfare, and diving (shore dives + at least 2 boat dives) for under $1,000?

Try Fantasy Island Beach Resort on Roatan. It's an all inclusive so all you'll have to worry about is chewing your food and flopping in the water. 3 Boats a day if you hustle, but the shore dive is good and is 24/7.

There are some great deals out there, on Roatan as well as other places including Bonaire. Just be aware of what is included and if you really want to deal with chasing after groceries or renting a car to go shore diving.

FIBR might be about the best choice. http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/Fantasy Island Roatan/

Here's the layout: <-click to enlarge

You could do the golden reef inn on Bonaire for less that $1,000 not including air.

If air is included you are probably out of luck at that budget.

Cozumel is the best bang for the buck. The trip we're doing
the end of Jan is $590/diver. 7 nights, 5 days 2 tank boat dives and
unlimited shore diving and breakfast included. Airfare from MPLS is $500.

St thomas, or St croix scuba. or what about Florida?

Bonaire!!!! Unlimited shore diving! I would not even bother with a boat in Bonaire as nearly every dive is accessible from the shore. Golden Reef is the lower budget place. I have not stayed there but I hear good things about it. You will need a rental truck. Make sure you figure all of the taxes and airfare into the equation. Last October I was able to get n 20+ dives in a week. Had a great time.

yeah i the plan is right now to go up to a scuba shop in pueblo to get pool training and then possibly going to the blue hole in new mexico? to get certified. i think thats whats it called. Or maybe going to my destination and getting certified there.....I've been looking at cozumel, bonaire and places in florida. Has anybody ever gone diving around fort myers area. I would have a free place to stay if i went there. i just don't know the diving potential around there. thanks everybody for the insight so far.

Mid,

Our family has a place on Sanibel. There is some diving in Ft Myers, but you have to go out a bit into the ocean. Most of the dive shops in Ft Myers head to key largo or the Miami area for their checkout dives. With that said, We always head over to Key Largo. There is great diving from Ft Lauderdale down to Key West. When I look for a inexpensive dive trip, that is where I have and will go.

I second Fantasy Island on Roatan, easy diving, inexpensive, all inclusive. Just take a container of deep woods off for the sand fleas.

Back
Top Bottom