Dive Trip to Cancun: Take Personal Gear or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take everything but tanks and weights. I'm not really sure what the big deal is. I can get just about all of my gear into a standard carry on. I took a lesson from what they do with the dive caddy and created some compression straps for the gear and cinched everthing down. I was able to fit my Zeagle Ranger, twin jet fins, mask, boots and regulator in the carry on by packaging it carefully. The only dive related things that went in the suitcase were knife, shears and sunscreen.

While it's not a bad idea to get a few dives under your belt while you figure out what gear works best, once you have your own gear, it's best to use it. If your hubby thinks it's a hassle to pack your gear now, just imagine how he's going to feel when you're packing full kit. Tell him to man up. :)

Add my wife and I to the long list of people who pack our gear. The only thing that doesn't go with us (and as carry on, not checked...) is tanks and weights. Those are not worth shipping. Yes, two full sets of gear in the overhead compartment. :)

...I think it's better to take equipment we know is good quality with proper fit...

I agree with you.

You spent all that money on gear, and now he doesn't want to use it?

I'm of the opinion that if you have it, you should take it, unless there's some good reason why you can't take it (airline or cruise regulations, eg). Even if you don't have it, you should probably still take it. By that I mean that if you can rent it locally (from a place you've rented from before) and take it with you, I'd do that, because depending on your destination, you don't know what you're going to end up with as rental gear. I was recently in Utila, where a group on the boat had their luggage lost and the dive op loaned them gear. At least one of the 3 of them did not have a depth gauge in the console (SPG only). The DM said kinda sheepishly "Welcome to Honduras." The SPG was also in bar, which was not familiar to him. I imagine this kind of thing is not uncommon in some locations, so if you don't have to rent, why take the chance?

Im one more for bring your gear and bring all you have of it.
Infact, I think we need a new card introduced.. The PADI Dive-Trip Packing speciality :p

The SPG was also in bar, which was not familiar to him. I imagine this kind of thing is not uncommon in some locations, so if you don't have to rent, why take the chance?
Bad rental gear is probably not uncommon in a few destinations, but bar vs psi, who cares? Half/third/quarter still works fine :wink:

Last edited:
Thank you for all the input. The only gear we have is the mask, snorkel, boots and fins. Until we know how active we will be with this new hobby we didn't want to go whole hog with gear.

I will convince hubby of the need to take the gear with us. Like stated.....why buy it if you're not going to use it?

Thanks again!

peajay

but bar vs psi, who cares? Half/third/quarter still works fine :wink:

Generally, I agree. It doesn't matter. I even unknowingly rented a reg with a metric console on it (for that same trip, oddly) from my lds, where I had rented regs on several occasions and not encountered a metric one so I hadn't thought to check. The DM gave me the reserve pressure she wanted in bar and off I went. The only problem I encountered was when my buddy asked how much air I had. I had to do a bit of quick mental math to give her an answer she'd understand. If you combine an unfamiliar system of measurement with a red zone that may not start in the same place as you're used to, you may get some interesting results, especially from a new diver.

My point was that you may end up with incomplete or unfamiliar gear. Can you dive with it? Probably. Will you be totally comfortable with it? I guess that depends on your comfort zone... If you can avoid the chance of getting something "odd", why not do it?

peajay: Enjoy your trip!

I take everything (including weights, which aren't many for "down there") except tanks. Space it out in your checked luggage, carry-on and extra small (computer bag) bag you are allowed to bring. You'll have all your own stuff that fits, and tanks are universal. Some may disagree.

Just got back from vacation at the Beaches Turks n Caicos. Scuba diving was part of the all inclusive package. They had everything you needed for diving. Can't tell you how many time I overheard people trying to get different size fins. Too small, too tight, etc. I was so happy to have all my own gear! Even took my own BC. We did use American Airlines miles, and as priority members didnt have any baggage fees, otherwise may have thought twice about packing a separate dive bag. On further consideration, would think $25 for taking my own dive gear well worth the money. Would have cost at least that much to rent.

Unless you are going to a resort where you need dressy clothes, pack all of you dive gear and pack minimal clothes. I do carry on my regulator, computer and mask. I also tell TSA that I have a dive regulator in my bag when I go through security.

Good dive operators try to keep their rental gear in top shape but rental gear is rental gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom